WHAT IS THIS?

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Re: WHAT IS THIS?

Postby Killak » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:29 am

Thanks for sharing those links - in the guaguanco moperc one they killed it - truly talented dudes. Whats the significance of Moperc? Do they endorse that company or did that name come from something else?
Killak

Re: WHAT IS THIS?

Postby windhorse » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:56 pm

Derbeno wrote:These guys are playing straight, with heavy slaps and all notes at the same volume...result no swing. Sounds more like a marching band.
Why not search for Cubans playing Rumba if you want to get the real feel. Guarachon just uploaded 9 excellent videos from a great Ruma party, search for Rumba en Ateres.

Also check out Guaguanco Moperc no 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ-5HUyn19k

People that really want to learn pay a lot of money to go and study in Cuba, the videos they have thankfully loaded are nowhere near a substitute but at least gives a good idea.

I had the good fortune to study with Cubans in san Diego and in the Bay area for a few years and slowly beginning to get to grips with what they are putting across regarding the feel.
In a Sandy Perez, class when we are going to straight he immediately stops the whole thing and makes us start over again.

So here is an example of Guarapachangeo, #1 is by Michael Spiro who has studied with the best and played this stuff for over 30 years, a most knowledgeable and talented player and a very good teacher. #2 is by Jesus Diaz, another master.
#1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya_5kTpyt5w
#2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSqwiaT2K9k

This is only a teaching situation and I am sure Spiro will have a great feel when playing for real, but this kinda illustrates what I meant.

BTW why not sign up to Congamasterclass for the introductory month and see what you think.

Great post Derbeno! I've been on the Congamasterclass site for over a year, and really haven't done much there until this past month... Turns out the way Mike teaches bata is REALLY working for me now! I'm getting so much out of it! But like you say, nothing compares to the real Cubanos! They've really got the swing!
I have been trying to see what swing I can get just by osmosis & contact with many of the great Cuban players at rare events, but at the same time, being all ears and eyes and thinking mind when I get a great teacher like Mike S, or David P, etc. This also helps a ton! I think it's good for us that didn't grow up in their culture to use everything at our disposal to get us better faster in a sort of catch-up dance we non-Cubans must work through to achieve at least some mediocre talent in comparison to the "real deal".
Also, a teacher's style is somewhat directed to an audience of like-minded types. So, spend more time with your guru and less with those who aren't.
windhorse

Previous

Return to Open Discussion