Traditional Rhythms versus new Rhythms

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Re: Traditional Rhythms versus new Rhythms

Postby Quinto Governor II » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:17 pm

leedy2 wrote:Today's and many just look at Rumba, Rumba, Rumba and do not look back at how and what the use and concept of Traditional rhythm's. This Why they only look at guys like Anga and they do not open horizons in the music that have been left behind . It's all grand but much has been done before and no one payed attention like today.Anga got the credit and guys that did this before got ? First drummer to play with 5 conga drums back in the 1959 Frankie Malave Rip

An aside question - Leedy you mentioning rumba and Anga in the same paragraph brought this to mind. Did Anga play with any traditional rumba groups? I know Changuito mentioned in the video 'Evolution of the Tumbadora" that he didn't attend rumbas when he was coming up. I happen to come across a video of Changuito playing quinto at a rumba, and his solo phasing did seem different than what I usually hear. Would like to see Anga in a rumba setting if its out there.
Yambu
Quinto Governor II

Postby Anonimo » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:32 pm

POST REMOVED BY THE AUTHOR
Anonimo

Postby davidpenalosa » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:31 am

In the first video Anga definitely demonstrates an intimate knowledge of quinto vocabulary.
-David
davidpenalosa

Postby bongosnotbombs » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:16 am

davidpenalosa wrote:In the first video Anga definitely demonstrates an intimate knowledge of quinto vocabulary.
-David

I have a book of rhythms with recordings from these Banff music education sessions, Anga has several rumba rhythms with variations accredited to him. One of my most cherished rhythm catalogs.
Last edited by bongosnotbombs on Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
bongosnotbombs

Postby ABAKUA » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:27 am

Anga (whom I had the honour and privelidge of studying with) was very well known in Havana for attending many a rumba. He was born into the culture, raised as a Santero and when I travelled to Havana saw first hand many photos over the years of him attending and performing in ceremonies & general drumming activities.
He was a monster of a quintero.
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby jorge » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:44 am

leedy2 wrote:On this tune Frankie Malave played 4 congas but back then who noticed.
http://youtu.be/PEL4NAsWFVA

There are 2 conga players on the first part, one playing a straight 2 drum guaguanco with 3/2 son clave, old skool, and someone else soloing on another drum. In the second part, he is just playing a 2 drum tumbao. Listen carefully, no one is playing 4 congas on that tune.

Here is a tune with Frankie Malabe playing 3 congas, but not 4. The 2 tumbas are tuned very close. This tune is actually "El hijo de Obatala" recorded later by Barretto.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Zzeht_SrT4&feature=list_related&playnext=1&list=AVGxdCwVVULXeGcEajoMYy44bZGgWv53f9

Another one where he plays 3 congas.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcRZLp8BNqw&feature=related

He swings LAMF and plays some killer solos and riffs. QEPD

Leedy, Anga is playing some really nice quinto on that rumba columbia, proof enough that he was a serious rumbero.
jorge

Postby Anonimo » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:00 am

POST REMOVED BY THE AUTHOR
Anonimo

Postby RitmoBoricua » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:36 pm

RitmoBoricua

Previous

Return to Open Discussion