Signs of how hard thing are in music business

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Signs of how hard thing are in music business

Postby Anonimo » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:38 am

POST REMOVED BY THE AUTHOR
Anonimo

Re: Signs of how hard thing are in music business

Postby Jerry Bembe » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:50 pm

As long as the corporate giants keep growing, the situation will only get worse.

In the past there were anti-monopoly laws that allowed for competition to exist and many more "independent" and local programming options on the air waves for TV and radio. This allowed for many more "independent" record companies and film makers.

Now in the so called age of "Globalization", this has been replaced by larger and ever larger corporate giants that kill any creativity and opportunity for distribution. Globalization has only expanded the playing field for greater exploitation. Instead of "32 Flavors", everything in the business is turning to one flavor "Vanilla".

One of the few options left for the smaller non-corporate models is the Internet and word of mouth. Unfortunately, the Internet may suffer a similar fate.

Does anybody have any solutions?
Jerry Bembe

Postby OLSONGO » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:03 pm

I think Salasa died when the social message went out the door singers like Hector Lavoe, Ruben Blades and Willie Colon gave the pueblo something to think about...and then came what they call la Salsa Romantica...with a melo dramatic message about someones stupid juvenile relationship and it was down hill from there. Por Dios, give me a friken brake. Donde esta el cerebro de mi gente. Y el Latin Jazz un poquito por aqui..un poquito por haya. Trans. Latin Jazz a bit here and there....the lame Smooth Jazz has fooled many , all it did was distract people and musicians from the real path; now most of their radio stations have gone caput and we are back to square one.
PS: Leddy you and I are from the same old school, estos carajitos estan bien perdidos...mejor me voy a pescar. :lol:
Peace
Olsongo
OLSONGO

Postby niallgregory » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:55 pm

You have to feel for someone like ralph irizarry having to resort to asking for contributions to record an album . Timbalaye where one of the greatest latin jazz groups ever imo . The music business is in a state of flux and will be for some time . Record companies are tightening the purse strings in a big way at present , they are only betting on the sure thing and unfortunately for ralph an old school salsa album is going to sell very little copies :cry:
niall gregory
niallgregory

Postby Anonimo » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:09 am

Anonimo

Postby droid » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:21 am

Jerry Bembe wrote:Does anybody have any solutions?

droid

Postby Jerry Bembe » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:41 am

Cute.

I used to make good money in the subway below the Sears Tower in the early 90s. It was a tough gig though. We played as trio to avoid being mugged and made $400 to $700 at that spot each day.

If the youth take an intrest in percussion it would help as well.
We are surrounded by rhythm everywhere we go. Listen and be in sync with the clave. Peace

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmwxUIIP-EM
Jerry Bembe

Postby DJBakan » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:25 am

Since I started to study "MUSIC" and being in music "Biz" I asked my self the same question "How we can fix it"
The only way I see it will be that many of "US" people that are interested in percussion (Latin Music) and in the same music get together everybody put their savings and buy a radio station (TV station will be the best) and make a big recording label and studio to compete with the other big names in the industry.
Of course probably no one will risk their money in doing that because there is not guaranties it will work but I think it is the only way we can show to the world the true musicians and true talent that is out there right now.
While the biggest name in TV and Radio like CBS, Univision (the owner of the largest Hispanic Radio Network in the US) and few others keep buying smaller stations, the opportunity of new musicians to be heard in radios or seen in TVs gets smaller and smaller. I remember when I was a kid I used to see Sabado Gigante and they showed a big variety of artists and music. Now there is no one Saturday that they do not put one of those Mexican Bandas. I know there are great musicians in Mexico but Musica Norteña and Banda is the only thing they show in Univision. And that is what Latinos watch and that is what people will buy in stores and go to concerts to see. It is sad indeed.

DJBakan
DJBakan

Postby juancho » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:48 am

Dj's sure didn't help !!!
juancho

Postby Anonimo » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:56 pm

Anonimo

Postby vxla » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:37 pm

Where is there a subway below Sears Tower?
vxla

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:14 pm

A quick perspective on things from my personal experience in 'the biz' for 48 years....

In support of DJ's like myself now going on 35 years in radio on both coasts here in America, there are many of us fighting to keep the music we love alive...what Ralph is going thru is not new..he is trying a marketing strategy...musicians today are more 'business men' than musicians in most cases that i see...there are only 4 or 5 major labels today...everything now is online as far as 'the business' is concerned... in my playing career I have had to wear many hats to survive as I have for 48 years and counting...I have learned to roll with the punches..educate myself..and try to keep up with the times...it's what you have to do if you want to be a musician...with a depressed economy, clubs closing, record stores closing, labels now gone, and more ..you have to devise a new strategy, a new offensive...and most of all, as an Independent artist with no 'machine' behind you takes a LOT of work...I do what i do all day 7 days a week....my job is to create a job for myself...I have tried never to depend on anyone or any situation to do what I love, and that's perform and play....don't know if it's gonna get any better...hard to say...if anyone has any questions for me regarding 'the biz' I'd be more than happy to help...we are all in this together and we ALL NEED EACH OTHERS SUPPORT, on all levels!...imho
JohnnyConga

Postby niallgregory » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:06 pm

JohnnyConga wrote:A quick perspective on things from my personal experience in 'the biz' for 48 years....

In support of DJ's like myself now going on 35 years in radio on both coasts here in America, there are many of us fighting to keep the music we love alive...what Ralph is going thru is not new..he is trying a marketing strategy...musicians today are more 'business men' than musicians in most cases that i see...there are only 4 or 5 major labels today...everything now is online as far as 'the business' is concerned... in my playing career I have had to wear many hats to survive as I have for 48 years and counting...I have learned to roll with the punches..educate myself..and try to keep up with the times...it's what you have to do if you want to be a musician...with a depressed economy, clubs closing, record stores closing, labels now gone, and more ..you have to devise a new strategy, a new offensive...and most of all, as an Independent artist with no 'machine' behind you takes a LOT of work...I do what i do all day 7 days a week....my job is to create a job for myself...I have tried never to depend on anyone or any situation to do what I love, and that's perform and play....don't know if it's gonna get any better...hard to say...if anyone has any questions for me regarding 'the biz' I'd be more than happy to help...we are all in this together and we ALL NEED EACH OTHERS SUPPORT, on all levels!...imho

Great post JC . Would agree with everything you say . I spend all day every day trying to create work for myself whether that be teaching , gigging , DJing , touring , promoting gigs etc etc . I love what i do and sometimes things are great and sometimes its a real struggle . I busted my arse to raise funds and self release the last Cachimbo cd but i look forward to doing it again ! I feel blessed to be a musician , but i work really bloody hard to pay the bills . If somebody with the talent and profile of Ralph Irizarry has to go down this route there is little hope for the rest of us to get any support to record music . I wish him the best of luck with it .
niall gregory
niallgregory

Postby Jerry Bembe » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:15 pm

vxla wrote:Where is there a subway below Sears Tower?

I mixed up the downtown area with the subway, I was referencing Washington and State which is below the downtown area.

I stand corrected but Washington and State are the best subway locations for $$. I went for the $$ not to go above ground.
Jerry Bembe

Postby Anonimo » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:35 pm

Last edited by Anonimo on Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anonimo

Next

Return to Open Discussion