new book

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

new book

Postby gdrumfoot » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:34 pm

My new book that I ordered arrived today " The Essence of Afro-cuban Percussion and Drumset" Ed Uribe, wow! what a book, loving it already.
To all sonic butterflies -love,peace & chocolate.
gdrumfoot

Re: new book

Postby Dicemanb » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:14 pm

Been around a while, and still good.

Dice
Dicemanb

Postby niallgregory » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:58 pm

fantastic book .The drumset section is incredible to say the least ..
niall gregory
niallgregory

Postby gdrumfoot » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:46 am

niallgregory wrote:fantastic book .The drumset section is incredible to say the least ..

Perhaps oddly, for along time kit player, I was never really interested in learning latin on traps as the traditional instruments were so interesting. I suppose some would say it might have been an easier transition on an instrument you already play but there yer go! Just been offered some over dub work, no details yet
gdrumfoot

Postby burke » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:07 pm

That was one of my first books and I still refer to it. As a non-music reader and not being from the traditions, I spent a while [a long while] on the clave section alone.

Some of his stuff doesn't seem to perfectly sync up with things I later learned but still ... great book.

Later as I learned to read [music] a bit better the whole deconstruction of the parts and structure of Salsa was really eye opening.

Cheers

Darrell
Burke
burke

Postby gdrumfoot » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:20 pm

burke wrote:That was one of my first books and I still refer to it. As a non-music reader and not being from the traditions, I spent a while [a long while] on the clave section alone.

Some of his stuff doesn't seem to perfectly sync up with things I later learned but still ... great book.

Later as I learned to read [music] a bit better the whole deconstruction of the parts and structure of Salsa was really eye opening.

Cheers

Darrell
Sync-ing up..I learned guaguanco from a teacher, a different version turned upon you-tube(and easier), Ed Uribe is different again, a bit disheartening, hope his is the difinative one cos as you say..great book.
gdrumfoot

Postby niallgregory » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:23 pm

gdrumfoot wrote:
burke wrote:That was one of my first books and I still refer to it. As a non-music reader and not being from the traditions, I spent a while [a long while] on the clave section alone.

Cheers

Darrell
Sync-ing up..I learned guaguanco from a teacher, a different version turned upon you-tube(and easier), Ed Uribe is different again, a bit disheartening, hope his is the difinative one cos as you say..great book.

Mate there is no definitive version of Guaguanco , there are lots of different versions and different variations all over cuba . Main 2 styles are Havana and Mantanzas but both have lots of variations within that style . ED,S book has lots of different versions of the Havana style so my advice is learn them all ! Best of luck 8)
niall gregory
niallgregory

Postby burke » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:15 pm

Mate there is no definitive version of Guaguanco , there are lots of different versions and different variations all over cuba

Ain't that the truth!. And it doesn't seem to me to stop at Guaguanco by any means.

There are things that with the same name that are so different on paper you could tell me they were anything. And then there are the 'variations'.

I think a lot has to do with context and the mystical and oft discussed 'feel'. It seems like two extremely different ways to play the same thing works in the context of an actual tune because of the drummers 'feel' and because his bandmates [regional affiliation, family, neighborhood etc.] have come to accept that 'this' variation' is right and others are wrong.

Every once and a while on this forum someone will ask what is that rhythms being played in this tune? Most times a quick answer but once in a while there will be debate and disagreement [I'm talking even among the heavy hitters on the forum].

So what is my point? I guess that there is no definitive book [and I would guess by extension ...teacher].
Burke
burke

Postby gdrumfoot » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:52 pm

niallgregory wrote:
gdrumfoot wrote:

Cheers

Darrell

Mate there is no definitive version of Guaguanco , there are lots of different versions and different variations all over cuba . Main 2 styles are Havana and Mantanzas but both have lots of variations within that style . ED,S book has lots of different versions of the Havana style so my advice is learn them all ! Best of luck 8)

Cheers for that Niall, at least I know where I am now, talk about a learning curve!!
gdrumfoot

Postby niallgregory » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:53 pm

Ed,s book is a great place to start when it comes to congas imo , he goes through tons of tumbao variations and lots of rumba stuff also . Some of it i found to be a little strange but it will do you no harm at all to learn it all .
niall gregory
niallgregory

Return to Open Discussion