List of artists or bands to check out

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Re: List of artists or bands to check out

Postby ABAKUA » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:51 am

Saludos Jorge, I have both Slave to Africa & Enyenison Enkama Project, some great stuff on there, as I said I def agree he is an amazing player, virtuoso level no doubt. Please dont get me wrong, I mean no disrespect at all, the brother is playing well ahead of his league.
I am a big fan of his work and spend much time studying his forms. I often find myself researching what he is up to next, definately an exciting player and vibrant figure.
I hope there is no misunderstanding with my previous post.
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby jorge » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:35 am

Your first post seemed to be talking mainly about the small house band he leads at Guantanamera. I just wanted to make the point that the recordings he has produced of his own material are worth checking out for their original ideas, incredible chops, and modern musical concepts. Important contributions from Mauricio, Roman, Axel Tosca, and others too, they are not just solo works. He is also one of those charismatic musicians who makes the party happen. When he shows up at the rumba, it just takes off, and he does the same when he is playing live with groups, so it is also worth checking out his group live if you have the opportunity.
jorge

Postby Jerry Bembe » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:17 pm

ABAKUA wrote:
Jerry Bembe wrote:Good Classic list. Can anyone add any newer artists? I would like to learn more about who to look for who's who that is newer.

Thanx

Whats your flavour? ie Timba, Rumba & Folklore Fusion, Salsa Dura, etc etc... I have many unreleased albums, stuff about to be released and to be released later in the year which was given to me in Cuba. If thats your thing let me know, will let you knwo what to look out for, plenty of online places to download it also once its out.

Thanx Abakua,
I appreciate your offer but I don't know where to start. I am mostly familiar with the older classic artists and I am not up to date with the recent developments. This is why I asked for additional info about newer artists so I can listen and learn. The comments have all been excellent.

Feel free to list your favorites and the highlights. Recently, I have been floored by Roberto Vizcaino and his 13 year old son Roberto Vizcaino Jr. they are amazing together.

Peace
Jerry Bembe

Postby congamyk » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:54 pm

ABAKUA wrote:But the stuff he does with his band (small band) is all covers of Cuban artists. All been done before, arrangements, lyrics etc. Nothing new there at all.

I disagree that there is "nothing new there" as he has originals in his repertoire.
Additionally, I think his sound and style is fresh and new, whether he covers another band's music or not.
His instrumentation, arrangements, singing, phrasing, style are his own.

Pedrito does it all; congas, bata, timbales out in front of the band, sings lead, arranges and manages a steller band in the world's most cut-throat & talented music city - New York.
He's also played/recorded/collaborated with more musical giants across more music genres than most if not every conga drummer anywhere. His sound is internationally known.

In Cuba, EVERYONE is doing the kind of stuff he does and even more. ...Again, no disrespect at all intended, the brother is amazing and his music is great, but it cannot be said that nobody is doing what he does

Really?
I've never been to Cuba and you have, but your claim that "EVERYONE in Cuba" is doing what Pedrito does (on his level?) seems unlikely. His overall talent & skills seem to be on a whole different level from everything I've seen from Cuba or anywhere else on DVD, web, uTube, etc.

Pedrito is up there, but hardly the forefront of modern conga playing & Cuban music. Maybe in the US, but not internationally.

I'm sure there's many that I haven't heard of yet.
Tell me, who does all this on his level & I'll be glad to check them out.
1) plays all the instruments
2) sings lead while playing
3) played/recorded/collaborated with musical giants across many music genres
4) manages his own band with the congas out front & center

Let us know what individual conguero(s) are doing that so we can check them out.
Last edited by congamyk on Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
congamyk

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:55 pm

This is how Pedrito started out the same way as this kid here who is now in his early 20's...and yes there are many many "pedrito's" in Cuba today...they eat breath and live music 24/7...and they start out very young...

http://youtu.be/0BvrLJoU3AA then check out part 2...

PS I have done what Pedrito does so has Ray Baretto and others who did all the same things he does today...I guess you never heard of Chano Pozo either...the "First' to be heard before Pedrito was even a thought..

PSS I also forgot the late Great Rumbero Ibae-"Puntilla"....and Pedrito was under his tutelage in NY up until he passed...
PSSS..Patato sang and played and also played the tres and Bata

Im not discounting his history, Im just saying he wasnt the first to do what he does..and believe me there won't be too long before we're talking about another phenom...
JohnnyConga

Postby congamyk » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:16 pm

^ We've all seen that old video many times.
It doesn't have any relevance to Pedrito or his music.

I think Jorge's posts sum up Pedrito's exceptionalism better than I can.
Any conguero would learn from and be blessed by checking Pedrito music out.
congamyk

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:47 pm

With all due respect Congamyk I think it also boils down to 'exposure'..Yes Pedrito is one of the 'cats' today...but he isn't the first to do what he does...believe me when I tell you there are many many Pedrito's in this country and other places..your not being 'exposed' to ...and never will be...ever hear of "Skip Burne?"(My friend for over 30 years)...he is just one of many True Rumberos on the scene today,also a former member of "Puntilla's" Rumba ensemble....but he aint got no records out-yet, and not as visible as Pedrito...so to me IMHO it's all about who YOU have been exposed to, or have heard of and listened to...Im just saying...
JohnnyConga

Postby bongosnotbombs » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:04 pm

With all due respect there might be many Pedritos somewhere, but there is only one Pedrito doing the work in getting the music out there and heard and seen by all of us. So until those other cats can pull it off Pedrito is the only one doing it. Getting the music out there and being able to present it is just as important to being a musician as the music. So there really is only one Pedrito, those other guys just don't count until they make a record, cut a video, etc. I've heard the same things said about Mongo, there were many Mongos back in the day, well where are their records? Mongo is still known because he got himself out there over the unkowns, same as Pedrito.
bongosnotbombs

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:12 pm

It's all good...BNB it's all good!...
JohnnyConga

Postby jorge » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:18 pm

OK JC and Abakua, and others who know, let's hear more about all these "other Pedritos" you are talking about. Who are they? Where do they play, who do they play with, how can we check them out? Some may have stuff on YouTube, some play regular gigs in particular clubs, etc. Please share with us how we can see or hear them.

I am not talking about "cuaquier cubano" who could kick ass on quinto or iya when he was 10 but never developed into a well rounded musician and creative musical leader. I am not talking about chops. I am definitely not talking about guys who play a lot of maiz tostado conga solos but don't hold clave either in their solos or in their tumbaos and band patterns. I am talking about conga players who can play AfroCuban folkloric music at the top levels, guys who can play itotele while singing apkwon for hours. Guys who make the other drummers' drums sing back. Virtuoso drummers who can sing and dance as well or better than they play. I am talking about guys who can show up at a rumba and sit down with a bunch of competent but not great drummers playing ok rumba and make the whole rumba happen instantly, so the 75 year old Cuban ladies who were sitting around gossiping and drinking jump up and start dancing in spite of their arthritis, with 30 year old guys vacunandole. Guys who can also bring that level of ibiono to a performance onstage with a big audience.

I will start off with two most of us know, to set the tone and define the level we are talking about: Sandy Perez and Roman Diaz. I would put el difunto Ivan Alfonso (son of Jesus Alfonso, ibae) in that league as well, although he is not as well known, and tragically passed away at a young age.

In Cuba, Cusito, Adonis Panter Calderon, the lead drummer with Los Ibellis Junior (I don't know his name), and Lucumi are all legendary but I never played with them so I can't really comment other than on their recordings and YouTube stuff. Based on his fantastic CD "A ti, papi" I might add Joaquin Pozo to that group, although I have not been as impressed with some of his other stuff.

Let's hear who you would put on that list!
jorge

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:20 pm

Man ..you guys make it sound like he's the only guy that can do what he does...are u kidding me?...now just because YOU haven't personally sat and played with these guys doesn't mean they don't/didn't exist,or on Pedritos level....I have sat with all but two Long John and Totico...I have seen many Rumberos just like Pedrito some were even junkies that could do it all as well...Im just saying once again ..it's HIS time(Pedrito), and he will be replaced just like the rest of us...
Here are some names to start...Now I dont know the ones that are in Chicago-L.A.New Jersey- NYC- Florida(today)-San Diego...but Im sure there are a few Rumberos we have never heard of and will never hear of..hey before I was on this site who the hell ever heard of me? and Im playing for 47 years and counting, and played with them all, on all levels of the musical genres and aspects of the music business. I HAD my time!....so to speak....

The ones I know of...

Eliel Lazo-New CD El Conguero
Danny "Oseiku" Diaz
Aranja de Miami
Lazaro Alfonso-Older brother of "El Nino" and one of my former Bata teachers
Miguel Cruz
Long John Oliva Ibae
Skip Burne
Totico-

I may have some more for you...
JohnnyConga

Postby bongosnotbombs » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:41 pm

jorge wrote:
I will start off with two most of us know, to set the tone and define the level we are talking about: Sandy Perez and Roman Diaz. I would put el difunto Ivan Alfonso (son of Jesus Alfonso, ibae) in that league as well, although he is not as well known, and tragically passed away at a young age.

I've seen Sandy play probably more than most here, he is a great conga and bata player, so is Pedrito, but Pedrito is a much better singer. I've not seen Pedrito play arara and other less mainstream folkloric styles. For those styles Sandy plays an incredible lead. Sandy is a very creative arranger mixing folkloric with rumba and jazz just as Pedrito does. I'd love to see these two guys together actually.
bongosnotbombs

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:48 pm

Ok this is the last from me on this subject..First of all I don't know how old you are(Jorge) but I've been on the scene once again for 47 years and Mr. Leedy more than me...so maybe your 'exposure' comes from youtube and an occasional concert or Rumba..well I've been living it...there weren't a lot of guys running around trying to play like Mongo...there weren;t that many who played back then unlike today...in my day there may have been 100 guys in the whole city that could play ...today in the thousands...interesting that nobody talks about Giovanni anymore...I guess he had HIS time as well?...no recordings or anything so I guess he's not worthy anymore?...
For all you young guys, under 35..Mongo's 40 year career and his contribution to the expansion of the drum in this country is historical.. when Pedrito is still around 35 years from now and has contributed to the drum as much as Mongo did, then he'll get my props...for now he still has my respect...

"Longevity is the test of True Greatness!".....
JohnnyConga

Postby jorge » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:09 am

JC thank you for that list, I would love to hear them play. Most of the artists on this second list I have never heard of, except I have known Skip for years and years and have heard Long John Oliva's CDs. For the rest, can you give us some website links, CD names, groups & clubs or other ways we can check them out? By the way, I don''t think anyone is claiming that no one else can play like Pedrito, I actually am saying the opposite by asking you and others to give specific examples of others who you would say are as good or better. I have never seen anyone else as comfortable as Pedrito singing Apkwon and playing itotele, do you know anyone else who does that regularly? Also, I did not say you have to have played with someone to know about them. I just find that I appreciate a drummer's playing even more when I play with them rather than hearing or seeing them play.

By the way, Skip Burney does have a recent CD, he played Iya and was assistant musical director to Puntilla for Alaako Oso, a santo CD by Amma McKen. I think it is still available, very nice CD, one of Puntilla's last recordings. Here are 3 tunes on her website, a rare treat of Puntilla playing conga on the guiros and over the batas on the batarumba. Skip is playing Iya.
http://www.myspace.com/ammamcken/music/songs?filter=featured

JC in response to your credential check, here is a little history about me. I am a few years behind you, I started playing congas in 1972 in the Central Park rumba and played with and learned rumba from Skip, Abie, Felix, Eddie B, Alberto, Tito, Yeyito, Mortie, Mark, and others. I played in a few salsa bands in the 70s, have played congas for dance classes on and off for 39 years, and am not a percussionist by profession. I learned a lot of my band stuff on congas and bongo in the early 70s by sitting in with Ocho and learned a lot from Ronnie Hill, Donald Howard, Charlie Jones, Butch Johnson, and Chickie Johnson. Due to time constraints, in music, I focus on Cuban music, almost exclusively on rumba. After la invasion de 80, I fought with but eventually allied with the Marielitos in the clave wars of the early 80s. Through the late 80s and early 90s, I didn't goto the Central Park rumba more than a few times a summer , and began going more regularly again in the late 90s. For the past few years I have had a better attendance record at the Central Park rumba than any of those guys I started with except Tito. Now I play tres dos and guagua on Saturday nights with the house rumba group at Esquina Habanera. The regular percussionists include Clemente Medina (leader), Felix (Matanzas) Brito, Stevie Insua, Alfredo Diaz (Pescao) and me. Pedrito Martinez, Michel Aldama, Diosvany, Igor Arias and others sometimes come and play with us. We play modern rumba and these guys are all great rumba players. Pedrito is the best out of all of us. Like Sambi, one of the singers in Central Park, sings in his song, "yo no tengo CD..." but I have been averaging 1 Cuban rumba a week for the past few years, maybe every other week in the winter. Did I pass your credibility test?
jorge

Postby tigre77 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:43 am

Tranquilizate mi gente esto no es batalla. Some of you dudes are my father's age and reference stuff that simply is not digitized into youtube for whatever reason. Jorge makes a valid point, post a link as he already did. Bueno to assist JC: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNT9iy2z2AQ - M Cruz y Lazaro Alfonso - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiU8lmBWiuY.
Last edited by tigre77 on Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
tigre77

PreviousNext

Return to Open Discussion