List of artists or bands to check out

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Re: List of artists or bands to check out

Postby pcastag » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:12 pm

Well, there's definitely a lot of discussion about the influnces of the various peoples in cuba, there are definitely plenty of "gropus" that can be traced back to their geographic origins, the arara of dahomey, bata of the youruba, the bantu speaking people of the congo ( yuka, makuta , congo palo) the efik - abakwa, so the idea that a bunch of slaves just started banging on drums and created rhythms out of nothing is pretty far fetched. My understanding is that rumba is considered pretty much the first "creolized" music of the african groups in cuba, being that they were playing only drums but singing in spanish, congo palo, guiro, toques de santo, abakwa, bembe, arara, iyesa, are all sung in the dialects of the homeland. Anyways, whole nother story, I think we were all talking about the development of the conga and how we got where we are today, whch still goes back in my mind to post revolution Cuba where the focus on developing the afro-cuban culture came to the forefront. I think we all know and understand that the musicians there have tremendous access to both western and tradional styles of instruction, the level of technique in the cuban drummers is phenomenal and I truly believe it is because they have really taken a more academic approach through the music institutes for the development of the drum. Still doesn't make music though!
PC
PC
pcastag

Postby JohnnyConga » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:17 pm

I totally concur!....a'ight...love these types of conversations...you learn so much from others as well...Tks Pcastag..
JohnnyConga

Postby jorge » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:23 pm

Bit of topic drift here, apologies for any off topic direction I might have contributed to. The history of development of AfroCuban music is a fascinating and deep topic, maybe we should start a thread dedicated to that. Meanwhile, all the great ideas we are discussing here will soon be completely lost in this thread. If someone wants to find this conversation, "List of artists or bands to check out" would not be one of the places he or she would search.

So which artists and bands should we be checking out?
jorge

Postby JohnnyConga » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:59 pm

Here is my Playlist of Artists...u can check them out with my archived show Al Lado Latino www.kbcs.fm right now...put in yesterdays date or the name of my show...and u got 2 hours of music...enjoy!...

Time Artist Album Song Label
new music 6:02p Jose Rizo's Mongorama Jose Rizo's Mongorama Palo Mayombe Independent
new music 6:05p Mambo Legends Orchestra Watch Out! ¡Ten Cuidao! Para Todo El Mundo Rumba
6:11p Rafi Val y La Diferente La diferente Faluking VAYA
new music 6:18p Steven Kroon Without a Doubt (Sin Duda) Sabrosongo Independent
6:24p Grupo X Food For Your Latin Soul Spare Ribs
new music 6:30p Fay Roberts y Charangoa Lo Que Quiero esCharangoa Vengo Diferente Charangoa.com
6:35p Orch. Mulenze De Regreso!.. A mi me huele e-v-e-s-o-l
6:40p Hector LaVoe la voz Pediodico de ayer FANIA
new music 6:48p Elspeth Savani Flights Of Mind Pajaro Encerrado Independent
new music 6:53p Kiki Sanchez Two Worlds Oita Noma Diola
new music 6:57p Lucky7mambo Chapter 1 Como Mango Unsigned
new music 7:04p Poncho Sanchez Psychedelic Blues Grand Central Concord Picante
7:09p Las Siete Potencias Smokin!... Free Wind TR records
c 7:14p Alma Y Azucar Alma Y Azucar Caramelos Independent
new music 7:18p The John Santos Sextet Filosofía Caribeña, Vol 1 La Rumba Me Lleva Independent
7:24p Ismael Quitana Jessica Jessica VAYA
7:31p Viento De Agua De Puerto Rico al Mundo La Riena Mia
new music 7:38p Henry Fiol De Cachete El Aqua Busca Su Nivel
new music 7:42p Bobby Matos Afro Latin Jazz Ensemble Beautiful As The Moon Fiddlunky Lifeforce Jazz
7:51p Orch Libre Increible Goza la Vida Salsoul
new music 7:56p Jose Rizo's Mongorama Jose Rizo's Mongorama Bluchanga In
JohnnyConga

Postby Anonimo » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:59 pm

POST REMOVED BY THE AUTHOR
Anonimo

Postby pcastag » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:02 pm

True, except when you learn the oru seco ( probably the most difficult part of the bata repertoire) the toques follow the praise songs,the praise songs were definitely part of the African culture, maybe they were changed or developed somewhat in teh new world but hey are all song in old african dialects, bata drumming in Nigeria today is definitely very different than the bata drumming in Cuba, but remember the yoruba were decimated by the slave trade, undoubtedly much of their culture corssed the ocean never to come back, in addition as you state, all things evolve, the drumming in nigeria today is still very complex.
PC
PC
pcastag

Previous

Return to Open Discussion