Comparsa

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Comparsa

Postby KidCuba » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:07 pm

I was playing comparsa this week at a workshop here in Los Angeles.

The group got it down pretty good, and are planning to take it on the road for a festival.

My question is, when your actually performing a mobile comparsa - what do you do with the congas? I don't see myself being able to carry a modern conga or tumbadora on a strap for a few blocks while playing?

The bombos and bells are all mobile, but I am wondering how congas are tweaked or replaced?

Any suggestions?
Triple Pulse Conga Practice- http://www.larumbero.com
KidCuba

Re: Comparsa

Postby Jerry Bembe » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Most of these carnival drums are soft wood like pine. This cuts down on the wieght.
Jerry Bembe

Postby KidCuba » Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:43 am

Thanks for the response Jerry.

Is there any particular conga model, available in the U.S., that you could recommend for a comparsa?
Triple Pulse Conga Practice- http://www.larumbero.com
KidCuba

Postby JohnnyConga » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:00 am

These are the drums used in the Conga Comparsa...they are long and conical and not as heavy as a tumbadora...

The bokú is a single-headed drum, skin nailed to the shell, shell open at one end, long, shaped like a conic section and made of staves with iron hoops that circle them and hold them together. They are heated with fire and played with both hands and no sticks. The musician or bokusero carries the drum on his left side, hung over the shoulder with a strap.” (Ortíz II 1952-5:34)
Nowadays, the skin is usually held on by a metal hardware system similar to that of the commercial conga drum. Anywhere from four to 16 bocuses are used in one conga (Brea and Millet 1993:179). The bocuses play simple interlocking parts with few variations (however, the sum of the parts results in quite a complex drum melody). A smaller bocú, called a quinto or bocusito, plays complex off-beat figures and improvisations. According to Ortíz, the bocú was adopted by the conga when African drums were banned in the early years of the Republic.
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:23 pm

-galleta carnival.jpg
-galleta carnival.jpg (26.24 KiB) Viewed 3667 times

juan01Boku drum.jpg
juan01Boku drum.jpg (30.27 KiB) Viewed 3667 times
JohnnyConga

Postby Jerry Bembe » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:29 pm

Jerry Bembe wrote:Most of these carnival drums are soft wood like pine. This cuts down on the wieght.

My mistake I was thinking of Uruguay Carnival Catdombe drums. These drums resemble congas but are not the same.

They are both carnival music of different types. I am a student still of various carnival music forms.
Jerry Bembe

Postby JohnnyConga » Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:40 am

Do u mean this??....

Candombe%20Uruguay.jpeg
JohnnyConga

Postby Jerry Bembe » Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:28 am

Yes. Nice picture. It is one of the best, I really like the carnival queen.

I have one of the middle drums and it is remarkably light. It is made of pine and 12".
Jerry Bembe

Return to Open Discussion