How much does a crack devalue congas

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

How much does a crack devalue congas

Postby mrhands » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:10 pm

Hey guys, I was wondering how much a hairline crack in the conga devalues it when you want to sell them. I have Meinl LC Quinto and Conga. The quinto has a hairline crack at the bottom about 2 inches long. The conga is a lighter shade of wood. I have installed remo fiberskyns on them. I'm also throwing in Voyageur conga bags. Have some rips, but nothign near any straps or anything. How much would you sell this for?
mrhands

Re: How much does a crack devalue congas

Postby mrhands » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:12 pm

Here are some pictures. Of course I tried to fixed the crack by putting polyurethane adhesive. The crack hasn't gotten bigger and no cracks have formed anywhere else.
Attachments
P1000049.JPG
P1000046.JPG
mrhands

Postby Anonimo » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:38 pm

POST REMOVED BY THE AUTHOR
Anonimo

Postby pcastag » Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:35 pm

Depends also on the value and collectability of the drum. Some people don't mind buying older gon bops with cracks, they usually do crack and aren't too hard to repair. Newer drums like yours that aren't too expensive may be affected more by severe cracks. The one you have looks minimal and like cuco said should be fairly easy to fix and clean up. Resale for newer model drums right now isn't great though, so you might not get what you want out of them anyways.
PC
PC
pcastag

Postby Omelenko1 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:17 pm

I'll take a cracked quality conga over a brand new commercial one. I'll take a cracked Junnior Tirado, SOS, Valje, Gon Bops, Pan Con Queso, Ismael, Requena or Vergara over a brand new Giovanni Palladium, or a Toca Elite anytime. Cracks are fairly easy to fix, you just have to use quality adhesive like Titebond III or Eppoxy to seal the crack with and you have to have the adequate clamps. I got round clamps from Farach, an old Cuban guy that made and repaired percussion equipment.

Dario
Omelenko1

Return to Open Discussion