Our instruments will outlive most (if not all) of us!

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Our instruments will outlive most (if not all) of us!

Postby Chupacabra » Mon May 09, 2011 12:21 am

About two weeks ago it was brought to my attention that my final will was no longer valid. This was not a surprise to me at all, of course. So much has happened since the last time I wrote my will; Married, child, house, significant increase in material assets... especially percussion instruments, woodworking tools, music and other assorted trash, treasures and trinkets.

The time has come for me to update my will and it is not an easy thing to do! The biggest issue I am facing right now is to whom I should bequeath my drums and assorted noise makers to. Nobody in my immediate or extended family has the slightest interest in them, or the type of music that I like. If I wrote them into the will for the instruments they would most likely be pawned off for bottom dollar. I would have to come back from the grave and deliver a serious ass-kicking if that were to occur so I have to find a suitable beneficiary who would honour my wishes and values and make use of them with that in mind.

What I would like to see happen is that they are inherited by a school or similar non-profit institution where students of all ages can make use of them. I would hope that they would be well cared for too. I am also open to other ideas as long as they are not geared directly towards personal gain or profit.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where or who I could leave all these beautiful instruments to if something happens to me?

Please try to keep it reasonably serious! :lol:
... --- ... ... --- ... ...---...
Chupacabra

Re: Our instruments will outlive most (if not all) of us!

Postby Psych1 » Mon May 09, 2011 1:30 am

"Children of all ages", unfortunatly, will not care for them well. Serious students of the instrument will. Occasionally I teach and I have given to promising students. I have a few instruments that really belong in museums, and someday that is where they will go. I have given most of my books to a local, Nevsheir-Kaysari, university library and promised the rest - someday. Don't wait for your will to be read - lighten up way before that!

Also, not a bad idea to consider some of your friends here!!
Psych1

Postby willie55 » Mon May 09, 2011 12:14 pm

i had this conversation with my wife, so i will give each of my granddaughters a conga. 5 girls, i will write a personal note on the head to personlize it. the each of my kids will get a conga, 2 boys and a girl, same personalization, 1 for the wife..that will take care of the 9 congas..i got 25 toms and 5 bass drums and a whole kids mini pool full of hand percussion, which i will start giving away when i know that i will no longer be doing festivals and drumming at KIDS ZONES..Chupacabra, like you said, no one is interested in what i do with my BONGOWILLIE DRUM TENT, so i will have to creativly give things away individually..it is sad to say that a huge yard or ebay sale will happen and no one will realize the worth and joy that these drums have given kids and adults throughout the state of Arkansas..
willie55

Postby Anonimo » Mon May 09, 2011 3:25 pm

POST REMOVED BY THE AUTHOR
Anonimo

Postby Chupacabra » Tue May 10, 2011 1:05 am

I've been looking around the past few days and have discovered that Toronto's Royal Music Conservatory has a legacy giving program that will take instruments that are bequeathed to them. I will try to get in touch with them to see if they would be able to make use of these instruments, or if they would auction them off.

There is also a school in Ottawa called the Ottawa Folklore Centre School of Music which might be possible, I'm waiting to hear back.

This is proving to be more difficult than I thought. Maybe if it was a Martin Acoustic, or a vintage Gibson SG it would be a different story!
Chupacabra

Postby vxla » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:00 pm

You could always leave anything historical (or on it's way to being so) in a divestiture to the Percussive Arts Society. http://www.pas.org
vxla

Postby Chupacabra » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:32 pm

vxla wrote:You could always leave anything historical (or on it's way to being so) in a divestiture to the Percussive Arts Society. http://www.pas.org

I took a look on the Ontario chapter's website and it doesn't seem to be a very active group. No events scheduled, some past annual events but not much going on other than that. I wonder what they would do if they did get their hands on a bunch of instruments?
Chupacabra

Postby vxla » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:13 pm

Chupacabra wrote:
vxla wrote:You could always leave anything historical (or on it's way to being so) in a divestiture to the Percussive Arts Society. http://www.pas.org

I took a look on the Ontario chapter's website and it doesn't seem to be a very active group. No events scheduled, some past annual events but not much going on other than that. I wonder what they would do if they did get their hands on a bunch of instruments?

The museum is in Indianapolis and has a great collection of historic instruments. If you're ever in the area, I highly recommend it.
vxla

Return to Open Discussion