looking for advice - Tumbadoras

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

looking for advice - Tumbadoras

Postby Tumbas » Thu May 05, 2011 12:27 am

I played alot when I was younger and gigged often later on. Had LP, Meinl and even some SOS, which I had to sell in a pinch. Mainly a Bongocero but played Paila often too. Did some conga work playing with a funk band but mostly in rumbas in NYC. I haven't played at all in 5 years. A close friend of mine has 11 Junior Tirado tumbas, 2 sets Jr Bongos and a set of Jr Bata. He's like some of the guys here buying up the worlds supply of the best drums! :D I did have SOS but for some reason, I did not really warm up to them. My Bongo and Paila are from Cali as are all my bells, except for one Meinl Bell which I really like.

I'm so craving some nice Tumbadoras. Looking for a set of 3 - Quinto, Conga and Tumba.

All the stuff I'm reading here is giving me a different perspective and I'm getting dizzy from all the differing opinions. But I'm a glutton for punishment!

I have tried to contact Matt Smith, VGA. Did communicate with Mario, also with Conrad of Spirit in the Wood - nice guy BTW! I saw Manito's site and I like that Del Cielo Hardware - shot him an email.

My question is - what is everyone's choice, if you were going to buy a set of Tumbadoras and why that particular company/maker? I know it's a matter of preference but I have not been in the loop for a while so I would like to get everyone's perspective.

I'll really appreciate your input. This is a great site and since yesterday that I joined up, I have learned some good stuff.

Thanks!

Anibal
Last edited by Tumbas on Thu May 05, 2011 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tumbas

Re: looking for advice - Tumbadoras

Postby Psych1 » Thu May 05, 2011 1:35 am

OK - I'll bite. I already have way too many different tumbas & bongos, for different settings, and am not looking for more. But, If I didn't have any, and was looking for a full matched set, I'd track down that guy in Miami with the full mint condition set of SOL + bongos for $2500.

Lots of reasons starting with the fact that SOL are exceptional in every way, good everything, no downside, + no waiting. But, I don't particularly like new instruments - prefer some history. There are also some exceptional deals here from time to time - keep watching.

I agree with you about Conrad, he is great to work with. But, if all I had was one set I wouldn't want the one-piece tumbas - too many issues.
Psych1

Postby ABAKUA » Thu May 05, 2011 2:30 am

I guess it comes down to your budget or what you are prepared to spend and just how fast you want them.. Also the application and how much you expect to get out of them...

Choice of Tumbas is huge, budgets vary, as do the expectations of the player using the drum...

Someone playing funk work or DJ's would benefit more out of a certain range of drums, one playing within Latin settings would tend to go for a different type, those specifically chasing an Afro Cuban folkloric type sound may be going with another choice...

then theres your beliefs about what you are after, traditionalists chase a certain look/build type/sound/brand, if its a general application or there is no real traditional desire behind the purchase, then options vary...

See, our opinions are based on beliefs, budget, application, playing level, sound preference...

Maybe you could tell us what you intend to get out of the drums, what your budget is, what type of sound you are chasing...
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby pcastag » Thu May 05, 2011 2:51 am

I f I had my choice I'd get ritmos, sos, mopercs, or some vintage cuban drums. Since you didn't like the sos and you sound like you have some cash to spend that would leave moperc, ritmo or vintage cubans. Just my two cents.
PC
PC
pcastag

Postby Tumbas » Thu May 05, 2011 3:45 am

I have played Congas in Salsa bands and and also in Afro-Cuban groups, Latin Rock, etc... so I'm not new to the conga. I learned from many different people throughout my life. I jammed at Armando's on 182'nd and Amsterdam. My first lesson when I was about 13 was from Marc Quinones' Father - Tony Quinones. My mother and Marc's grandmother knew each other since they were in their teens - I know the whole family... I learned from Jorge Tapia, who used to come to my house in Kingsbridge Rd, to jam with Angel Rodriguez and that crew. I learned from Gumbi Ortiz, who I grew up with.

I'm not a world class percussionist but I know what I know. I want nice drums because it's about time I should have them - actually WAY overdue! :lol:

On the other hand, I would like to, as would anyone else in this economy or in general, get a deal, but I also don't mind paying for quality.
Tumbas

Postby ABAKUA » Thu May 05, 2011 4:36 am

I know Matthew Smith of RITMO has 2 beautiful Mahogany drums sitting there waiting for someone to buy them, they were a set of 4, but someone from here recently snapped up 2 of them.
Certainly top quality drums, finest authenticity & sound great.
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby Tumbas » Thu May 05, 2011 5:33 am

ABAKUA wrote:I know Matthew Smith of RITMO has 2 beautiful Mahogany drums sitting there waiting for someone to buy them, they were a set of 4, but someone from here recently snapped up 2 of them.
Certainly top quality drums, finest authenticity & sound great.

I've sent him a few emails in the past couple of months. Last time I did was a couple of days ago. Then I saw on here that someone sent him an email, he answered and the guy went and picked up two drums from him all in a matter of a couple of days. I'm beginning to think he doesn't like my email carrier or something... I don't know him so I don't owe him anything. All I want is some freaking drums! So I kind of gave up. I was looking for 3 drums. I would have picked them up on the spot... maybe even all 4! WTF??? :?
Tumbas

Postby ABAKUA » Thu May 05, 2011 5:37 am

Matt aint the most computer friendly guy in the world, and due to recent events in his life does not have access to his own computer. Hence he dont check his email often.
If you like I can pass on his phone number to you and you can call him. Who knows what else he has laying about.... :wink:
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby Tumbas » Thu May 05, 2011 6:12 am

ABAKUA wrote:Matt aint the most computer friendly guy in the world, and due to recent events in his life does not have access to his own computer. Hence he dont check his email often.
If you like I can pass on his phone number to you and you can call him. Who knows what else he has laying about.... :wink:

Please do! :D
Tumbas

Postby ABAKUA » Fri May 06, 2011 2:32 am

Looks like we may have a new owner of a Mahogany Ritmo! 8) Soooo jealous. :mrgreen:
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby pcastag » Fri May 06, 2011 10:40 am

Uhhh we do, don't think it's Tumbas though :wink:
PC
PC
pcastag

Postby s'chopp » Fri May 06, 2011 1:50 pm

s'chopp

Postby Tumbas » Fri May 06, 2011 3:07 pm

s'chopp wrote:Image

Funny, huh?

Oh, bird of justice, please do a fly over right about... NOW! :lol:
Tumbas

Postby ABAKUA » Fri May 06, 2011 4:28 pm

ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby pcastag » Fri May 06, 2011 5:35 pm

s'chopp wrote:Image

Classic! Synchronicity, Sonocs and Mahogs on their way to H-Town.
PC
PC
pcastag

Next

Return to Open Discussion