Recording advice: Singing Obatala on Afrobeat tune...

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Recording advice: Singing Obatala on Afrobeat tune...

Postby Garvin » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:39 am

Hey guys,

I have a recording session coming up with one of the bands I play in. I play drum set in that one. Anyway, I've been singing the lyrics to a version of Obatala (similar to Milton Cardona's) in live shows lately just because the melody sounds great with the tune. It's an afro-beat arrangement with breaks and stuff. I'm really comfortable singing it, but wonder what people think about recording it in a tune that is otherwise completely devoid of bata, or any other context regarding the culture etc. The band is kind of counting on me singing it, but I really don't want to disrespect anyone. I value the input of this community and would love to hear your thoughts or suggestions? Should I make an offering beforehand or anything?
Garvin

Re: Recording advice: Singing Obatala on Afrobeat tune...

Postby windhorse » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:50 am

"Do it! Learn all you can of this music and play it from the deepest parts of your heart, and It will make you and me both happy. You should spread it.."
From the few Cubans I've met, and had an opinion.
windhorse

Postby Thomas Altmann » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:18 pm

@Garvin:

The only "one" you could disrespect is Obatala, an Orisha. I could not see any disrespect, if you sang one of his fundamental songs in honor of him/her. But if you feel you might do a small ritual or offering for Obatala, this means that your subconscious has spoken, and then don't hesitate to do, not what you should do, but what you feel like doing out of affinity and appreciation. Obatala is a great and forgiving Orisha, and in my experience easy to deal with.

@Dave

Don't make the same mistake as many Cubans, confusing patriotism with religion. :wink:

Thomas
Thomas Altmann

Postby Garvin » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:00 pm

Thanks guys... My gut feeling was that it fit the music, so why not go for it? But out of an abundance of caution and respect, I figured I'd at least voice my concern prior to taking it all the way into recording.

I appreciate the advice and support. Hopefully I'll be able to attach a rough or finished version of the song in the next couple weeks. Studio is scheduled for this coming Saturday.
Garvin

Postby bengon » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:58 pm

People play Orisha music, both lyrics and rhythms, in lots of different styles all over Cuba as well as the rest of the world. The mixture of religious and secular music is very mainstream in Cuba. I'm sure some people are offended by it, but they're a minority. By and large it's accepted and celebrated.

In Felipe Garcia Villamil's book he mentions (or quotes somebody) saying that playing Orisha music on non-sacred instruments is like driving a car without gas in the tank. Of course, he goes on to mention that there are people who disagree.

Personally, I don't think it's offensive, although sometimes I do feel very odd presenting this style of music outside of its cultural context. If you feel good about it, trust your gut.
bengon

Postby tamboricua » Sun May 08, 2011 2:44 pm

Below is a link to a cool arragement my students from the Mountain View College Latin Jazz Ensemble in Dallas, Texas performed this past semester. Hope you like it!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGrU22hJHqE

Saludos

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby windhorse » Sun May 08, 2011 3:47 pm

tamboricua wrote:Below is a link to a cool arragement my students from the Mountain View College Latin Jazz Ensemble in Dallas, Texas performed this past semester. Hope you like it!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGrU22hJHqE

Saludos

Jorge Ginorio

Great performance! I loved the blend of the old with the new.
windhorse

Postby tamboricua » Sun May 08, 2011 10:14 pm

windhorse wrote: Great performance! I loved the blend of the old with the new.

Thank you Windhorse!!!

Saludos,

JG
tamboricua

Postby Garvin » Mon May 09, 2011 1:54 am

Wow... Awesome arrangement. Great playing by the band. Very cool. I hope we start to see more of this in the music programs of the jazz departments around the US. Well done.
Garvin

Postby Thomas Altmann » Mon May 09, 2011 11:22 am

Hi Jorge,

I like the (re-)harmonization of the song; partly because I don't have a clue what tricks arrangers have at their hands, harmonically.

Thomas
Thomas Altmann

Postby tamboricua » Mon May 09, 2011 5:44 pm

Garvin wrote:Wow... Awesome arrangement. Great playing by the band. Very cool. I hope we start to see more of this in the music programs of the jazz departments around the US. Well done.

Hi Garvin,

Thanks for your comments!!!

You are right, this type of ensembles are picking up on music program curriculums all over the United States & abroad.

Hopefully it will continue like so.

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby tamboricua » Mon May 09, 2011 5:54 pm

Thomas Altmann wrote:Hi Jorge,

I like the (re-)harmonization of the song; partly because I don't have a clue what tricks arrangers have at their hands, harmonically.

Thomas

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for listening and for your comments!!! Basically this one is a three or four voice arragement, (need to double check the Flute part). I did have Baritone Sax, Alto Sax and Trombone doubling same part, but since Trombone sounds actually an octave lower of what is written on paper it helped on the bottom end. The world of re-harmonization is endless, depending of what type of instrumentation you have available and the sound you are looking for. Hope this helps!!!

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby RitmoBoricua » Tue May 10, 2011 1:09 am

Slamming Jorge, great job. I know you proud of that big band.
RitmoBoricua

Postby tamboricua » Tue May 10, 2011 1:25 pm

RitmoBoricua wrote:Slamming Jorge, great job. I know you proud of that big band.

Thanks RitmoBoricua!!!

Indeed, very proud of all of them.

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby Garvin » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:26 pm

Well here is the almost finished product. It's not mixed yet since the last vocal session, but it's close. There is a doubled vocal line in the first verse, but one is out of tune so we're gonna cut it.

http://www.runyanmedia.com/sherpas/11%2 ... a%2016.mp3

I based the vocal arrangement loosely off of Milton Cardona's version on Cambucha. Unfortunatley, I'm not quite the singer he is :wink:. Also, when I gave the tune to the band, I had accidentally transposed it up a few intervals from where I really would have been most comfortable singing it, but that's where I'll stop making apologies. I'm not really "a singer" anyway...

I'm playing drum kit, congas, block, and shaker (thank goodness for multi-tracking).
Garvin

Next

Return to Open Discussion