Guagua patterns

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Guagua patterns

Postby vasikgreif » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:36 pm

Hi, is there any difference in use between the two guagua guaguanco patterns? Is one used in some situation and the other in another?

x.xx.x.x|x.x.xx.x
xx.xxx.x|x.x.xx.x
vasikgreif

Re: Guagua patterns

Postby windhorse » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:37 am

I was originally taught to think of the second pattern as mostly a slower Yambu pattern, and the first for a Guaguanco.. But, most of the group that plays in Humboldt seems to prefer that second pattern at all speeds... Though there are others like myself who prefer that first pattern and don't get yelled at,, as if really no-one cares..
Obviously most of the descarga you hear from most of the ripping groups like Los Munequitos use the first pattern on Guaguanco.. So, it seems to echo what I had been taught.
But, I'm left dumfounded..,,, curious what others say to this one.. Especially since, to this day, I have real trouble playing the second fuller pattern at high speeds..
windhorse

Postby bongosnotbombs » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:08 am

Carlos Aldama taught us a yambu guagua pattern I really like and play for yambu; it's basically a simplified version of the first guagua pattern It fits a yambu pretty well as it's not quite as busy as the guaguanco versions.

X-XX-X-X|X-X-X-X-

usually we play the first one around here, but the second one is also played sometimes. I think the second one is a little harder to swing, because maybe the pattern is a little more square, hitting all the downbeats like that.
bongosnotbombs

Postby ABAKUA » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:59 am

Having returned recently from Cuba, it is played freely as seen fit. Several variations to the pattern, including mild improvisations within, including use of cowbell.
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby pcastag » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:53 pm

From what I've heard and seen the first pattern originally was a Havana style while the second was more common in Matanzas, it lines up w/ the chapeo really nice. today anything goes sooo.
PC
PC
pcastag

Postby vasikgreif » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:16 am

Thanks for the replies. Abacua, would you share some of the variations here?
vasikgreif

Return to Open Discussion