L&H Percussion short read and info request

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

L&H Percussion short read and info request

Postby msb501clave » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:30 am

msb501clave

Re: L&H Percussion short read and info request

Postby jorge » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:36 am

With all respect, I don't think you are going to learn much from people you don't know telling you what they think they know about skins. There are dozens of rules of thumb about what makes a skin sound a certain way, some may have some truth to them, but often there are more exceptions than those that follow the rules. Being able to predict how a certain skin will sound, play and feel on a certain drum comes with years of experience putting skins on and seeing how they come out. That is how Junior, Jay, Sekou, Cali, and I am sure Matt and others have learned (and continue to learn). Even those guys can occasionally be fooled by a skin that doesn't sound the way they predicted, even on their own drums. I have put on over 40 skins on my own and other peoples' congas and bongos over more than 35 years, and I would say I have, at best, intermediate skills picking skins. There are a lot of variables in skins: stiffness, density, thickness, evenness, oiliness, surface texture, veins in the skin, type of processing, species of animal, location on the hide, and other less tangible variables. There are also variables in drums: size and shape, shape of bearing edge, heaviness of wood, diameter of bottom, strength or weakness of hardware and shell, and other variables.
If you want to get good at that, I suggest you make a business of mounting skins on peoples drums and keep careful notes about skin parameters, what you predicted, and how it actually came out. You will make mistakes and may have to do exchanges or refunds occasionally to keep your customers happy. Some customers won't be happy even with a perfect skin for their drum, maybe they can't play or they just don't know. Let experienced drummers take responsibility and choose their skins and see what and how they choose for a given drum, then how it plays after it is mounted. This is not a skill you can learn on the internet or learn quickly, you have to pay your dues.
jorge

Re: L&H Percussion short read and info request

Postby msb501clave » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:51 am

jorge wrote:With all respect, I don't think you are going to learn much from people you don't know telling you what they think they know about skins. There are dozens of rules of thumb about what makes a skin sound a certain way, some may have some truth to them, but often there are more exceptions than those that follow the rules. Being able to predict how a certain skin will sound, play and feel on a certain drum comes with years of experience putting skins on and seeing how they come out. That is how Junior, Jay, Sekou, Cali, and I am sure Matt and others have learned (and continue to learn). Even those guys can occasionally be fooled by a skin that doesn't sound the way they predicted, even on their own drums. I have put on over 40 skins on my own and other peoples' congas and bongos over more than 35 years, and I would say I have, at best, intermediate skills picking skins. There are a lot of variables in skins: stiffness, density, thickness, evenness, oiliness, surface texture, veins in the skin, type of processing, species of animal, location on the hide, and other less tangible variables. There are also variables in drums: size and shape, shape of bearing edge, heaviness of wood, diameter of bottom, strength or weakness of hardware and shell, and other variables.
If you want to get good at that, I suggest you make a business of mounting skins on peoples drums and keep careful notes about skin parameters, what you predicted, and how it actually came out. You will make mistakes and may have to do exchanges or refunds occasionally to keep your customers happy. Some customers won't be happy even with a perfect skin for their drum, maybe they can't play or they just don't know. Let experienced drummers take responsibility and choose their skins and see what and how they choose for a given drum, then how it plays after it is mounted. This is not a skill you can learn on the internet or learn quickly, you have to pay your dues.

I think you missed the point. I have a business mounting & selling skins "L&H Percussion" and have mounted hundreds of heads .... I have spent my life working with the top players since 13 years old both as a player and a technician...

Not sure i need to defend my actions, however, what i am am looking to do is gather some of the misconceptions and allow people to have an opportunity to learn about selection. Before you start telling people what they should be doing and that we need to pay our dues take a step back and think.... I can assure you I have paid my dues and continue to. Ive carried drums for many of the NY players some of which have left us...

I am trying to help. some feel they have the ability to ask questions about these things because they don't get honest answers or they are pushed off as stupid... But i thank you for your response jorge and welcome you to continue if you feel the need offline.....
msb501clave

Return to Open Discussion