SANDING SKINS

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

SANDING SKINS

Postby BRONXNATIVE » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:18 pm

WHY DO MANY CONGUEROS SAND THEIR SKINS?
BRONXNATIVE

Re: SANDING SKINS

Postby Anonimo » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:05 pm

POST REMOVED BY THE AUTHOR
Anonimo

Postby BRONXNATIVE » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:44 pm

i can agree w/u on the most part, but i do have skins that are very coarse [mule]. i tend to sand down to make it smooth as its much easier on the hands and to me has a better sound. all my congas are wood and the good ol cow u can't beat. i do have a burro on one of my juniors[ quinto] which kiks ass.
BRONXNATIVE

Postby Anonimo » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:04 pm

Anonimo

Postby BRONXNATIVE » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:14 pm

these hides i mention are from l and h
BRONXNATIVE

Postby msb501clave » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:47 pm

Since its L&H skins in question I have to ask what are you trying to accomplish. IM not sure what would be rough on your skins except for the underside... If you have an issue with the individual skin picked as everyone know I will work with you. I am not like the others out there ,I have return policy I have customer service. If you have specific concerns about the product lets fix it but generic questions dont help anyone and start bad press.
msb501clave

Postby Anonimo » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:56 pm

Anonimo

Postby msb501clave » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:02 pm

Thank You sir no offence taken on either persons part. I just make sure that i am a cut above the rest... these days only those willing to go the extra mile will come out ahead.

leedy2 wrote:Bronxnative
I don't know Mike personally but he seems like a nice guy. And if you have a problem with one of his skins L&H he is offering you a return policy take advantage. Others also talk very well also about him. What I posted is in general not directed at L& H. so if you have a problem contact him.
msb501clave

Postby BRONXNATIVE » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:11 pm

YO, 1ST OF ALL I HAV NO PROBLEMS W/MIKES SKINS, TO ME ARE THE BEST. IM JUS MODIFYIN IT MY FEEL AS DO MANY CONGUEROS THAT I RUMBIAR WITH--ITS JUS A PREFERENCE---
BRONXNATIVE

Postby Ernesto Pediangco » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:36 am

BRONXNATIVE wrote:WHY DO MANY CONGUEROS SAND THEIR SKINS?

All skins are natural materials that swell & may not be same after tucking as when it was flat. Each head has its own natural properties but some may be thick on one side of the circle & thinner on the other. It requires a spacial machine to cut down a hide or skin to uniform thickness. I'd rather have a head slightly heavy & sand it down to acceptable or perfect head weight, than a thin head. I do not like to waste a head that's already tucked either ! It not as if they are easy & available to select from dozens or more flat hides or mounted heads to determine which is the best paring for a set of congas. It largely a matter of a drummer accepting whats affordable & available. I will accept heads that others do not like & find ways to recycle them or re tuck them to appropriate sized drums. Recently I took a super thin Toca tumba head & made a great hembra for a bongo ! I never see Lp hembra's that are not thin & flimsy sounding. This thicker head was ideal on this size bongo & unacceptable as a tumba or conga head. I have a thick 13" Meinl tumba cow hide head, I can sand down to perfection & then...match a head to its conga & Segundo mate. I wont waste it ! I make the best of its potentials ! In most cases I am removing excess material from the underside of a head, but some Asian Bison heads are coarse surfaces on the top side & some fine grade sand papering will smooth it nicely. After all, as longs as my hands & ears are happy, I am pleased to play that particular drum & head.
Ernesto Pediangco

Postby BRONXNATIVE » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:14 pm

THANKYOU ERNESTO
BRONXNATIVE

Postby Jerry Bembe » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:18 pm

Ernesto do you have any suggestions for thickness for skins for different applications?
Jerry Bembe

Postby juancho » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:34 pm

So what size of paper can use to sand down skins? was reading this post but did not see anything on what size or I just missed it.
juancho

Postby Anonimo » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:28 pm

Anonimo

Postby juancho » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:02 pm

leedy2 wrote:
juancho wrote:So what size of paper can use to sand down skins? was reading this post but did not see anything on what size or I just missed it.

Skins should not be sanded when buying skin just make sure you buy the right thickness for your use. When you sand you weeken the texture of skin. One way that you can get a good measurement is by using example for a conga drum 15-20 sheets of paper for quito drum as you go up in size add 5 sheets more if needed these measurements are dry skins .Remember when you wet them the swell up 5-10 % more . As you buy skins make sure skins are cut even buy from venders that are reliable that offer a return policy. Many do not return skin due to that they do not buy from tanners they buy there skins from meat process plants that profit from this and skins are not process proper. So know who you buy skin from tanning companys have machines that cut skins even and you should not have to sand , Meat market's just remove hair and sell skin as is with fat and hear folicals. These does not give you a good sound and have uneven cut's. skin that that are good to buy skin that are Imported to country yet you still get some bad cuts but these skins are mostly inspected and come with proper cuts. You also have L & H , Stern tanning ,and a few not many that have good skins and garenty there skins.

Cuquito.....fue un regalo y quiero experimentar a ver como sale.
juancho

Next

Return to Open Discussion