being a band leader

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Re: being a band leader

Postby elrayo » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:50 pm

@ Thomas A.

Hey Thomas,
Yeh , I wasn't refering to playing ana drums!! Receiving Ana is a dream of mine that I'm very close to attaining , and like I stated , I don't see how cats let booze and drugs get in the way of a paying gig, or any good gig for that matter. It's just not that important to me, although I realize some people have addictions and such....
No , I was refering to playing guiro.. I guess it's not much different , but like I said, it loosens me up, and I can really feel the energy with a couple of glasses of wine.. Any more, and it becomes disrespectful and sloppy in my case..
I guess the point is that the music and Gods should be respected at all times! If you are fucking up a good gig because you have addiction problems , a band leader should probably find talented players who act like pro's I think???
elrayo

Postby Thomas Altmann » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:52 am

elrayo:
I can really feel the energy with a couple of glasses of wine..

Of course you would agree it's more important that the other participants feel it, too ... :wink:

TA
Thomas Altmann

Postby bongosnotbombs » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:45 pm

Ah being a bandleader is like herding cats. Calling everyone, scheduling the practices, finding the gigs, waiting for everybody to show up, rescheduling when they have to cancel, so much work. As a musician, I always show up when I say I do. I bring the drums and instruments to the local rumba, I'm always on time, so I'm frequently waiting. I'm also trying to get a latin jazz trio off the ground, so hard just to get 2 other guys together, same when I had my latin fusion trio.

Well, I've learnt not to try and hold people to my standard if I want to play with them. Either that or only play with people that have the same standards as I do, which is very limiting.

As for the other stuff, I find I feel better about playing after a beer or two to help with my nerves. Never more than that during or before. More is for after. I can count the musicians I know that don't do ganja on one hand, maybe even on finger :lol: . San Francisco, California baby! A dispensiary on every block, lot's of sick musicians taking their medicine. 8)
Last edited by bongosnotbombs on Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
bongosnotbombs

Postby elrayo » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:42 pm

Yes I would Thomas .. :oops:
elrayo

Postby Ernesto Pediangco » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:12 am

Unfortunately, many musicans became victims of the drug life style, but I do not have to share my life, my music or my energies on them. I will not tolerate that BS in my life & not in mt music. Drud addicts dont have friends...thay have victims ! Everybody associated with them have to deal with all thier negative issues & the results of thier actions. I have turned away from the ones I met & even old friends, as a matter of self preservation & to protect others from knowing them as well. Musicians are either assets or liabilities to the music band or family ~ whatever.
Ernesto Pediangco

Postby Anonimo » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:19 pm

POST REMOVED BY THE AUTHOR
Anonimo

Previous

Return to Open Discussion