Are indians the top percussionists?

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Are indians the top percussionists?

Postby epicous » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:52 pm

Considering the elaborated percussive language they execute?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZXyvdF8DG8

or do you think there are other regions that project an equal aspect?
epicous

Re: Are indians the top percussionists?

Postby Chupacabra » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:27 pm

In the 7 or so years that I have been exploring the realm of percussive music from around the world (You won't catch me saying "world music"!) I would have to say that there is no "best of" or ultimate from any culture or genre of this form. There are some that I enjoy listening to more than others, some that I would like to learn and others - not so much.

Indian music is amazingly complex and there is no written notation for any traditional Indian music. As far as I know it's all learned through vocalization (ie. you have to say it to play it). One of my favorite recordings of this genre is on the tribute Concert for George Harrison album. The part I enjoy most is the Indian Orchestra led by Anouska Shankar. The rock music portion is O.K but I always go back to the orchestra, especially the amazing tabla and dholak skills of Tanmoy Bose.

If one were to agree with your statement and say "yes, Indian percussionists are the best" there would undoubtedly be a storm of disagreement from others who practice other forms. The West African faction especially! And you also must realize :idea: that there may be just a little bit of bias here on this board towards Afro-Cuban and Latin music! :P

Maybe if you specify what particular aspect that you feel they are the most skilled at there could be a consensus.
... --- ... ... --- ... ...---...
Chupacabra

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:15 pm

Some of the most complex drumming in the world!!...Great drummers!...Zakir Hussein....Mahapurush Misra....Ali Raka....a whole different set of numeric's in their drumming.... here is a gig I did on congas with Indian music with a band from Seattle...chek the tune in 5 that we do...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6Uz9lKU89Y
JohnnyConga

Postby burke » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:32 am

Thanks JC for that great clip ... I especially liked around 2.00 when it kicked up a notch! At times I thought you and the young drummer had some great communication going.

My own earlier post on this subject was :
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5505&p=55924&hilit=ravi#p55924

I had this album back in the 70's and the use of bongos in place of tabla was very cool ... sadly the example on utube I referred to seems to be gone ... but trust me it was a very cool fusion.
Burke
burke

Postby burke » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:57 am

Did manage to find one tiny sample online [number 3 in the list]

http://www.tradebit.com/filedetail.php/ ... dre-previn
Burke
burke

Postby pcastag » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:59 am

I went and saw planet drum a couple of years back with giovanni, Mickey hart and some african virtuoso. Giovanni was phenomenal as per usual , but when Zakir Hussein took his solo it went to a whole nother level. Indan drumming is outrageous, to me nothing can compare to the power and rhythmic intensity of african based drumming ( batucada, guaguanco, bata, djembe ensembles etc.) but the structure of tabla and merdungum ( sp?) playing is something to behold. There's also a lot of folk indian drumming that is simple and just as badass as some of the west african stuff. I saw a group from rajasthan play , dude played with sticks on a skin clay drum, just funky as hell, and super chops to burn!
PC
PC
pcastag

Postby jorge » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:29 am

I don't think that is a productive question. It is like asking who is the best, Beethoven, Coltrane or Tata Guines?* Appreciate the virtuosity of each for what it is, there is no need, and really no objective basis, for comparisons.

*Answer: Tata Guines.
Last edited by jorge on Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jorge

Postby pavloconga » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:31 am

If you are comparing master players from different cultures (West Africa, Cuba, India for example) I believe there is no basis to say one is 'better' than another – just different.

Here is my favourite player from one of the Indian traditions, Sri G. Harishankar.
Hari Shankar is the guy on the right who looks European though he is actually Indian albino.
He is considered the greatest Kanjira performer ever. This video, to me, is mind-blowing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJbiILmfuPc
pavloconga

Postby niallgregory » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:45 am

pavloconga wrote:If you are comparing master players from different cultures (West Africa, Cuba, India for example) I believe there is no basis to say one is 'better' than another – just different.

Here is my favourite player from one of the Indian traditions, Sri G. Harishankar.
Hari Shankar is the guy on the right who looks European though he is actually Indian albino.
He is considered the greatest Kanjira performer ever. This video, to me, is mind-blowing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJbiILmfuPc

Jesus h man that clip is simply incredible , ive never seen anything like that in my life . Stunning :shock:
niall gregory
niallgregory

Postby congamyk » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:20 pm

The most amazing concert I've ever seen/heard was Fareed Haque & The Flat Earth Ensemble @ the Chicago Jazz Festival.
I sat just feet from the stage.

Keys, bass and drum kit was in the back.
On the front of the stage floor sat Fareed, Kalyan Pathak (tabla), Ganesh Kumar (kanjira) & Indrajit Banerjee (sitar).
The percussive, improvised interplay between the 3 Indian musicians & Fareed was on a NON-earthly level.
The kanjira is an amazing instrument.
congamyk

Postby pavloconga » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:44 am

[/quote]

Jesus h man that clip is simply incredible , ive never seen anything like that in my life . Stunning :shock:

Glad you liked it Niall. His playing is astounding. I always love seeing Harishankar play.
pavloconga

Postby Ernesto Pediangco » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:22 am

Last summer, I participated in a percussion workshop / clinic by the worlds greatest Indian percussionist ( Zhakir Hussain ) & was reassured from the experience that yes indeed, Indians may be the best percussionist in that they have developed percussion rhythms like a high science/ art & spiritual experience, un equaled in human history ! Every rhythmic beat or combination has already been done to perfection during centuries of Indian musical & cultural history. The style of music associated to Indian percussion may still be unfamiliar to western cultures, but if you examine the techniques & developements of Indian drumming, you will be amazed !
Ernesto Pediangco

Postby epicous » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:28 pm

Chupacabra wrote:Indian music is amazingly complex and there is no written notation for any traditional Indian music. As far as I know it's all learned through vocalization (ie. you have to say it to play it).

There is the speciality of vocal percussion, serving as a guide for the pattern:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcqBgbKZ20I
epicous

Postby Chupacabra » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:21 am

@ Epicous

Now THAT'S what I'm talking about!

The mradingam player is amazing, and the best part is that he pretty much duplicated phrase by phrase what the vocalist was speaking.

This is also seen briefly in the video of the George Harrison tribute concert that I mentioned before. In one of the film clips of the backstage activity during the performance there is footage of none other than the guru himself, Ravi Shankar, vocalizing the music to the orchestra during an intermission.

With this being said, I am wondering if the traditional Indian music also mimics the spoken language during rituals or on a spiritual level as in other forms of music that we here are familiar with?
... --- ... ... --- ... ...---...
Chupacabra

Postby epicous » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:59 pm

Chupacabra wrote:With this being said, I am wondering if the traditional Indian music also mimics the spoken language during rituals or on a spiritual level as in other forms of music that we here are familiar with?

I have not seen that at religious sphere:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAeSxLLp ... B37FE8A9C2
epicous

Next

Return to Open Discussion