Tycoon Percussion

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Tycoon Percussion

Postby Percussination » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:06 pm

Hey guys. Any experiences with Tycoon percussion products? I love my dear Gon Bops drums, but I was wondering more about the shaker, shekeres, bells and other aux. percussion from Tycoon. They're well priced here in Toronto, so it might be worth looking into.

Thanks
Percussination

Re: Tycoon Percussion

Postby Ernesto Pediangco » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:05 am

I consider Tycoon to be a generic Asian made Latin drum & percussion manufacturer. I am told by others that they are a manufacturing & assembling factory for several brands. They created a separate product line of simular yet different looking products by mix matching available parts and adding a different cosmetic finish. This is in other words, a company that copies the models & products but not nessesarily offering any thing that is not already available from other sources. They are in my opinion, a mid level product provider. Since the Asian companies began copying American drumsets and displacing the companies that invented them originaly in America & later in Erurope, the cheaper Asian complanies flourished and then enterted Latin drums & percussion as it did with many other industries. Tycoon is one of these companies with cheap to produce reasonable facimilies of such products. Asian made percussion and Asian heads are not traditional materials of musical quality, they are just easy & cheap for companies to make & export to the market. I do not prefer these products, I feel they are drowning out the quality crafted instruments and craftsmen / women from the actual Latin cultures & American made companies from where these instruments derive. For the same $$$ , I would rather buy imports from Latin American or American sources, new or used, as long as I felt it was a good purchase for a good product. If I were to buy for example...a Korean drum, I would shop a Korean source. But...a Latin drum ? I would buy from traditional sources or brands with a direct liniage & heritage. But...thats how I prefer to spend my $$$ and I look for quality & resale value. Asian made drums are very common and even the top brands are selling over priced mediocre models. Buyer beware ! Of the Asian made companies, I like Meinl ( a German company ), I like Gon Bops pro line Tumbao series made in Asia but prefer the quality & materials of the California series made in the U.S.A. Since LP is owned by Kaman / Gibraltar, as is Toca brand, I view them all as Asian companies made in Asia and sharing designs & materials including design flaws. Pearl company from the republic of China / Taiwan, is also a company that build many products for many companies. The Pearl brand latin drums & percussion was originaly froma company called " Afro " percussion from Europe. Pearl took over & just added a Pearl logo and changed some model designs and added hard wares from the drum set line of Pearl products. So Pearl is the Taiwan Asian company & Thailand makes most the other Asian brands. China has also entered the market and supplys cheap models to Europe but not much in North America. If American & Asian companies do not work with me to develope better designed products, I have China as an option to produce new improved designs and use better materials than other Asian sources. Can U wait till then ? lol.
Ernesto Pediangco

Return to Open Discussion