digital pianos

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

digital pianos

Postby korman » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:19 am

Hi all,

Maybe those of you who play in bands can report what instruments do your keys players use? Anyone plays keys themselves?
I am looking for stage piano or compact digital piano that has good digital piano sound suitable for latin music. I have been to couple of music stores in my city, but could not find a digital piano with that bright timbre that is characteristic in salsa music. Most have grand piano sounds that are more suitable for classical music.

Thanks,
korman

Re: digital pianos

Postby congamyk » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:54 pm

congamyk

Postby vasikgreif » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:59 pm

I got this one (now I see it's really cheaper in US!):

http://keyboards-midi.musiciansfriend.c ... sku=707439

When I looked around what piano to buy, I searched for piano with best piano sound and best keyaction . I tried cca 20 stage pianos (every stage piano I could try in Prague) and this one was the best for me - the other pianos I tried didn't either have so good piano sound or keyboard (I tried Yamaha, Korg, Kurzweil, Nord, Roland).
That said, this stage piano has only one good sound, which is piano. All the other sounds - hammonds, epiano etc. - are not good at all.
I would definitely suggest you to go to a store a try yourself, as it is not a good idea to buy a piano after reading reviews only - if I would order a piano based on reviews, I won't buy the one I have, but after I tried many, I found one that suits me best.

Vasik

Edit: I re-readed you post, this stage piano has bright piano sounds too, that are kind the same as the ones used in timba, but I'm not big fan of this kind of sound...
vasikgreif

Postby Hansdampf » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:08 am

i recomend the yamaha stage pianos to you. all they have beside the grand also a bright piano sound. Models: p-95, p-140, p-155.
the roland stage pianos rd-300 and rd-700 are also famous for popular music. i like yamaha more because of the fair and good prices (and of course the quality).
No. 1 Stage Piano: Clavia Nord Stage 88 Ex.
"What we play is life."
~ Louis Armstrong
Hansdampf

Postby korman » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:13 pm

Vasik, hans, thanks for suggestions. I'll look into yamaha pianos!
korman

Return to Open Discussion