Jazz Congas

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Re: Jazz Congas

Postby roberthelpus » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:13 pm

Dig the Kenton track, Ramon Lopez is very tasteful, making each note count without resorting to just speed and flash. That video makes me wish that I was Stan Kenton in a way.
roberthelpus

Postby Percussination » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:15 pm

The question I asked originally was about SWUNG jazz, like triplet-based music.
Please don't forget this.
Percussination

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:30 pm

Im 'sorry but you didnt really mean "SWUNG JAZZ"?...I believe you meant to say "swing jazz"...?.....'swing' is the feel put into that triplet..try feeling it more to the 6/8 rather than to the 3/4..and try that feel....
JohnnyConga

Postby Percussination » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:56 am

JohnnyConga wrote:Im 'sorry but you didnt really mean "SWUNG JAZZ"?...I believe you meant to say "swing jazz"...?.....'swing' is the feel put into that triplet..try feeling it more to the 6/8 rather than to the 3/4..and try that feel....

I'm quite confused by this post. :S
Percussination

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:05 am

You used the term "swung jazz" as far as I know that is not a musical term that I have ever heard ..so do you mean "swing jazz' rather than 'swung jazz"?...
JohnnyConga

Postby Percussination » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:51 pm

JohnnyConga wrote:You used the term "swung jazz" as far as I know that is not a musical term that I have ever heard ..so do you mean "swing jazz' rather than 'swung jazz"?...

I've used both, and have yet to encounter any problems. SWING jazz is a type of jazz, and it's the type of jazz that is SWUNG. I'm sometimes use swung jazz to describe any kind of jazz with swung eighth notes just to distinguish from "swing" jazz, big band from the 30's 40's and 50's. Cause some of this modern swung 8th jazz sounds nothing like SWING music.

I get what you are saying though. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Percussination

Postby davidpenalosa » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:12 am

In the Latinjazz forum (Yahoo groups), Bobby Sanabria recently posted:

"If anyone wants a clinic on how to play the conga drum in straight ahead jazz swing feel context, get this album:

http://www.amazon.com/Candido-featuring ... 170&sr=8-5

Candido's first as a leader in 1955. It features a killer band of Al Cohen on tenor, Whitey Mitchell on acoustic bass, Joe Puma on guitar, Dick Katz on piano, and Ted Sommers (who played on a lot of the RCA Puente sessions in the 50's) on drums. Required, required, required, listening."

41kNLEAzUlL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
Candido
41kNLEAzUlL._SL500_AA300_.jpg (14.69 KiB) Viewed 6530 times

Speaking of swing, Mike Spiro and I will be giving a lecture/demonstration at the annual week-long Afro-Cuban workshop at Humboldt State (July 23-20:
http://www.humboldt.edu/afrocuban/).
acdd-top.jpg

From the website:

SWING: THE ELUSIVE FEEL
Tues., July 26 • 1:45-3:15 p.m.

Michael Spiro and David Peñalosa will explain and demonstrate swing, the most elusive and intangible element of Afro-Cuban rhythms.
David Peñalosa will begin the first section by examining the definitions of the term, and by demonstrating how the same cross-rhythms that generate clave, also generate swing. He will next show how triple-subdivisions can be substituted for duple-subdivisions. The first section will conclude with an analysis of stroke displacement, a phenomenon of swing, where certain attack-points fall in-between the triple/duple-subdivision "grid."
david-penalosa-new.jpg
David Peñalosa teaching at the annual HSU Afro-Cuban workshop. Photo: Hohanna Rose © 2010.
david-penalosa-new.jpg (9.44 KiB) Viewed 6547 times

In the second section, Michael Spiro will demonstrate his technique of stroke displacement, which he calls fix. As Michael says in his groundbreaking book, The Conga Drummer's Guidebook:

"(In) Afro-centric musics the rhythmic distinction between three subdivisions per beat and four subdivisions per beat (triple vs. duple), is frequently blurred. In several cases, the difference does not exist at all – there is a completely "new" subdivision at work. This is what gives rumba from Cuba and samba from Brazil and even certain kinds of bebop their unique characters . . . I call this 'averaging' of rhythm between a four and a six feel, fix (four and six), and it is an essential component of learning to swing in these styles. Fix is a concept we must acquire, manipulate and finally, internalize" (2006: 38).
Michael-Spiro-new.jpg
Michael Spiro playing batá at the annual HSU Afro-Cuban workshop. Photo: Hohanna Rose © 2010.
Michael-Spiro-new.jpg (11.75 KiB) Viewed 6545 times
Last edited by davidpenalosa on Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:53 am, edited 4 times in total.
davidpenalosa

Postby bongosnotbombs » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:29 am

Ah thanks David, you reminded me to put this CD of Candido's back on. Listening to it now.
bongosnotbombs

Postby davidpenalosa » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:59 am

There's some good, solid swing conga playing on that record.
davidpenalosa

Postby FidelsEyeglasses » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:11 pm

Another good one:

Choose the "free" link:
http://rapidshare.com/files/440137534/Billy_Taylor_Trio-Candido.rar

Markito
Attachments
folder.jpg
1a.jpg
2a.jpg
Gloria Habanera.jpg
Septeto Gloria Habanera 1932.
With Candido Camero third from left.
In 1932 Candido played tres, not percussion in this Septeto.
FidelsEyeglasses

Postby CongaTick » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:01 pm

CongaTick

Postby bongosnotbombs » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:05 pm

Thanks Mark, I'm going to be downloading that one later on, thanks for the link,
bongosnotbombs

Postby FidelsEyeglasses » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:12 pm

R.I.P. Billy taylor.

Billy Taylor Trio featuring Candido - Mambo Inn:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtKBCil6qTk

M.
FidelsEyeglasses

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:00 pm

Don't know how many of u may have heard of Bobby but he was a percussionist at one time for Weather Report and has been around for a very long time. His father was also a renowned jazz musician. He lives in Florida and this is him to day ...playing 'his way"(somewhat similar to Master Henry Gibson)....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4htanpMxp-8
JohnnyConga

Previous

Return to Open Discussion