Conga + Quinto or Tumbadora reasons why

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Conga + Quinto or Tumbadora reasons why

Postby studio7conga » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:41 pm

I'm currently learning the basics on an LP Classic Series 11 3/4" conga and am ready to get another drum. I am going to go with either an 11" quinto or 12 1/2" tumbadora from the same series. Why should I choose one over the other? Are any specific sound qualities gained with having a quinto/conga setup vs a tumbadora/conga setup? I don't see buying a third drum in the near future, and am planning on gigging with my current setup in the months to come. I'm most interested in Latin jazz, Cal Tjader type music at this point, although it is very possible that I'll be playing with these drums in a pop/rock group as well.
Any help/advice/experiences appreciated.
Best,
LB
studio7conga

Re: Conga + Quinto or Tumbadora reasons why

Postby niallgregory » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:04 pm

studio7conga wrote:I'm currently learning the basics on an LP Classic Series 11 3/4" conga and am ready to get another drum. I am going to go with either an 11" quinto or 12 1/2" tumbadora from the same series. Why should I choose one over the other? Are any specific sound qualities gained with having a quinto/conga setup vs a tumbadora/conga setup? I don't see buying a third drum in the near future, and am planning on gigging with my current setup in the months to come. I'm most interested in Latin jazz, Cal Tjader type music at this point, although it is very possible that I'll be playing with these drums in a pop/rock group as well.
Best,
LB

The done thing is to play with a conga and tumba combination when using 2 drums as a quinto is normally considered a lead /improvising drum in rumba etc . But the size of most drums manufactured by lp etc these days are bigger than a standard quinto anyway so it shouldnt make much difference to your set up as far as tuning goes . I prefer a conga / tumba combination while playing 2 drums , i like the space that a 11. 3/4 drum gives me , it can also be tuned up high enough for what you want . Cheers .Niall ...
niall gregory
niallgregory

Postby roberthelpus » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:00 pm

I thought about this once and if I had to have only one conga I would choose a tumba. I think that would be your best bet here as well.
roberthelpus

Postby Quinto Governor II » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:42 pm

niallgregory wrote:
studio7conga wrote:I'm currently learning the basics on an LP Classic Series 11 3/4" conga and am ready to get another drum. I am going to go with either an 11" quinto or 12 1/2" tumbadora from the same series. Why should I choose one over the other? Are any specific sound qualities gained with having a quinto/conga setup vs a tumbadora/conga setup? I don't see buying a third drum in the near future, and am planning on gigging with my current setup in the months to come. I'm most interested in Latin jazz, Cal Tjader type music at this point, although it is very possible that I'll be playing with these drums in a pop/rock group as well.
Best,
LB

The done thing is to play with a conga and tumba combination when using 2 drums as a quinto is normally considered a lead /improvising drum in rumba etc . But the size of most drums manufactured by lp etc these days are bigger than a standard quinto anyway so it shouldnt make much difference to your set up as far as tuning goes . I prefer a conga / tumba combination while playing 2 drums , i like the space that a 11. 3/4 drum gives me , it can also be tuned up high enough for what you want . Cheers .Niall ...

I agree with niallgregory. Toning your next drum higher or lower should give you the sound you want. I use to mainly prefer the tumba/conga setup, having been influenced by the 'Evolution Of The Tumbadoras' video by Changuito and Giovanni, where Changuito states exactly what niallgregory says. I have seen many congueros play with the quinto instead of the conga, and they sound no different, when playing salsa or Latin jazz. If you are going to be playing some rumba at some point or just jaming in a drum circle type of situation the quinto might serve you better IMO. The conga when tuned high does not sound the same to me as a quinto in a rumba setting. Also the quinto can better compete with the high pitched djembe in drum circles. Another point is that, IMO pop audiences tend to like a high pitched sounding drum.
Yambu
Quinto Governor II

Postby Jerry Bembe » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:32 am

Studio7,

You have excellent taste my friend, Cal Tjader is my favorite Swedish cat. He is my favorite too. I agree with these other cats. Cal's classic lineups with Mongo,Willie Bobo and Armondo do lend themselves for a more bassy bolero and/or tumbao sound accented by a conga with the slaps. The Timbales ride the top end along with the Bongo player.

Often nowdays we see one percussionist who trys to play it all and there are musical issues here. The problem with this is that players often do not learn specific parts of a rhythm and allow other players the appropriate space to stretch out. It is difficultand often annoying to play with percussionists who over play even while performing with other percussionists. Often a Quinto player will play over a bongo part rather than with it. So if the Cal Tjader sound is what you are aiming for then the Conga and Tumba combo would be perfect.

Stay away from the Djembe! This drum is the bane ofthe percussion world in my opinion. I think the Djembe is fine in small groups or as a solo instrument but with congas it is terrible. The overtone sustain of the Djembe fills the air and does not allow the tonal quality of congas to breath and sing.

For 8 years, I was a member of an Afro Cuban percussion group in Chicago that included 5-8 performers including 4 - 6 hand percussionists (Congas and Bongos), a singer/wind/percussion player and myself on Marimba, Steel Pan, Surdo, sound effects, whistles and assorted percussion. We always had at least 3 congueros, a bongo player and the rest of the instrumentation shifted rather organically depending on the tune or jam session. I learned the importance of parts and giving each other space. What you don't play sometimes can be more important than what you do play. We banned the Djembe from our group due to this instrument's tendencey to drown out other instruments.

The Conga and Tunba can be tuned up and sound good but the Quinto tuned down often will sound flabby or flat.

Take care brother and keep it fun.

Jerry
We are surrounded by rhythm everywhere we go. Listen and be in sync with the clave. Peace

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmwxUIIP-EM
Jerry Bembe

Postby Dicemanb » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:08 am

Jerry,

Completely agree with you on the value of what you don't play. Silence has notation in music.
Its all about having big ears, listening to what others are trying to achieve and complimenting each others with sabor.
When you find people who think like that, you stick with them.

Suave
Dice
Dicemanb

Postby mrhands » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:51 am

I currently play with a quinto/ conga set-up. Trust me though, you will eventually want a 3rd drum. I spent 1 year playing and practicing on my quinto. Then I decided it was finally time to join a band and so the second year I bought the conga. Now I'm going into my third year and I want a 3rd drum...that or some other percussion like timbales or bongos to wet my appetite. Anyways, back to the topic... I play in a funk/rock/rnb band and I find the quinto/conga to be enough. You will need a drum that cuts through the mix and the quinto with it's higher fundamental pitch will do that. I also found that I can tune my conga pretty low or at least to a point where I like the interval in sound between the two. Head choice makes a difference. I play remo synthetic heads. They are great for playing along to louder music because they increase the volume and are more alive sounding than raw hide. Anyways, I'm sure whatever route you go you will enjoy. I should also mention that price played somewhat of a factor in my choice to go with a conga instead of tumba. Tumba is obviously a bit more expensive.
mrhands

Postby SpEd » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:04 am

I started on quinto/conga because the first set I bought at GCenter was offered that way. They were the newer CP, and quite small.
Then a Matador set of the same combination... lil more room. After a conga/tumba set of Meinl LC's, and now a conga/tumba Isla set.
I will only go back to the quinto when I'm ready to add a third drum or play lead parts.

I've grown to really appreciate the extra room, and the lower tones. I play with drum kit and guitars mainly rock & pop, and don't miss the higher notes much ....unless playing the Stones.
Although it helps to mic up to cut through.
SpEd

Postby Anonimo » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:36 am

POST REMOVED BY THE AUTHOR
Anonimo

Return to Open Discussion