L&H Percussion

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Re: L&H Percussion

Postby pcastag » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:09 am

Central tuning :)
PC
pcastag

Postby No.2-1820 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:39 am

Actually although obviously far from an expert, I'd consider what I'm doing now as 'fine tuning', I have 3 sets, JCR, Timba, and old '70's LP's, they all sound great, the JCR's have a thin mule on the macho, the LP's have a kip (that I was told was calf) and the Timba's have two heads that I interchange, the bleached goat I talked about earlier and a thin, bleached steer from Ralph at valje that I play funk on. I'd tried goat in the past with no success, always too thin, weak or poor quality. I love the sound of the mules on my JCR's but I would always hear something elusive on my favorite old recordings, I now believe that to be goat. This last head I tried just works so well. I have tuning down and enjoy the variations in sound I can get from different skins. I also love the process, seeking, finding, mounting, playing new skins ! I've been involved with recording and music production as well for years and naturally allow for such variables when checking video or recorded material.

thanks for all the input from my fellow obsessives !

Barrie
No.2-1820

Postby alabubba » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:35 am

I can give L&H Percussions a shout out too; I now have 5 congas in the house with their skins, and a set of bongos. They all sound great! And I too have a bongo bell beater that rode in the box with skins, and which is just great and get a lot of use.
Bob

vids
alabubba

L&H Percussion

Postby msb501clave » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:58 am

Happy Holidays to all congaplace members. hope you all get some time to relax, play, drink or whatever. We will be busy cutting rounds for the new year.
Thanks to all that have supported us and our little venture!
msb501clave

Postby yambu321 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:35 am

Just bought some Great Bongo Skins from L&H Percussion.( Kip, Cow, and Goat).

The Goat Skins, like the others, are outstanding.

L&H Great Skins
Charlie. 8)
Keep It Real, Keep It Honest, and Alway's Be True To Yourself. Laugh and Smile When Ever You Can, and Help others do the Same; It's a Good Thing!
yambu321

Postby Tonio » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:22 pm

That's it, I'll have to try some goat skin. Got a kip, but maybe too thick.

Hola Charlie-pics pls :mrgreen:
Tonio

Postby yambu321 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:47 am

Tonio. Here you go.
Attachments
DSC00098.JPG
Keep It Real, Keep It Honest, and Alway's Be True To Yourself. Laugh and Smile When Ever You Can, and Help others do the Same; It's a Good Thing!
yambu321

Postby yambu321 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:54 am

Another Pic.

Charlie. 8)
Attachments
DSC00110.JPG
Last edited by yambu321 on Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yambu321

Postby yambu321 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:57 am

last Pic.

Chariie. 8)
Attachments
DSC00111.JPG
Last edited by yambu321 on Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
yambu321

Postby Tonio » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:29 am

Gracias Charlie!! Nice cueros on de mucho macho :wink: , thickness and milkiness is awesome-looks like kip.

You know how to take just the right angles for the pictures Bro :D

Noticed you changed the lugs on the macho.

I'm slowly getting back to playing. bongos are OK. Congas , not quite yet. Still waiting on my surgery for a hopeful recovery.

T
Tonio

Postby yambu321 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:07 pm

Tonio.
Thanks Bro.

Yeah I changed the lugs on the Macho, because, The Gon Bops Lugs are weak. They are unable to handle high tensions for long periods of time. I love the design concept but they will open up on you. One time, while I was practicing, I suddenly heard a Loud Thudd. I thought it was the skin, but instead, it was that one of the lugs opened up and slipped off a Dog Ear.

The Gon bops Lugs would be great with thin Goat, or Horse. But keep them away from anything else.

I have found that LP, and LP Matador Lugs are truly Remarkable, in that they can handle just about anything. I am even Using Matador lugs on my Isla Requinto, which I have set up with Mule Skin. Even atfer leaving it under High Tension for two weeks, for testing purposes, Nothing has changed. Everything is still Beautiful. So I'm convinced.

Tonio. What type of surgery are you having?
Let me know Bro.

Charlie. 8)
Last edited by yambu321 on Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:58 am, edited 4 times in total.
yambu321

Postby Tonio » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:39 pm

Agreed about GB lug design-hugs the shell nicely. Though looking at them , I always felt they were cut short on the ear curve.
I have many LP lug spares-just in case.

Surgery? uugh , long story.
Back in May, I lacerated the middle finger and 5th digit to the amount of 12 stitches on the outter 2nd knuckles (PIP joint). Kaiser sewed me up and put me in a incorrect (come to find out) rounded splint. Basically the splint should have been straight. Being in the splint, and due to lag of therapy scheduling, another words it took too long before I started therapy, my fingers contracted. The 5th digit has a flexion contraction, which means it doesn't extend straight from the ligament on the inner side is contracted (tightened). Seems this is very common and can happen very easily-much like when one gets basketball stub.
So basically the checkrein ligament needs to be cut and released for the finger to extend ( to be straight). They will have to cut it open and cut the 2 ligament lines, then close me up and pin it with a wire. The wire is supposed to go through the joint for support and stabilize it.
Being that my right hand doesn't go straight its difficult to play slaps. I'm getting the open tones better with bongos, since the drum itself is small. With congas using more of the hand is almost impossible to get a open tone. Needless to say, open slaps are non existant though muted slaps are getting there.
Hoping for a good recovery soon.

Guys/gals take care of your hands, they are most intricate part of yourself. You don't know what your missing until they are not usable.

T
Tonio

Postby roberthelpus » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:56 pm

Not really happy hearing about the GB lugs. I hope that you just got some bad steel. So far mine are fine. Has anybody else had this problem?

Best wishes Tonio. I sure hope that you regain full use at the end of your ordeal.
roberthelpus

Postby bongosnotbombs » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:36 am

Tonio, bro! I hope your surgery is a success and wish you a speedy recovery. Hang in there my man!

I just put these L&H's on my Resolutions. Can't wait for them to dry. I love playing this bongo!
Attachments
DSCF2068.JPG
bongosnotbombs

Postby yambu321 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:45 am

Tonio.
I hope that your surgery will be a total success.
You love the art of Hand Drumming. And so, You Will Be Doing fine, very Soon.
So, do your business Bro; and please keep me / us posted.

Always Know, You Are Going To Reach Your Goal. :wink:

Charlie. 8)
yambu321

PreviousNext

Return to Open Discussion