ONLY 2 LEGS LEFT IN THE 5 LEGGED CUBAN MASTERS RUMBA TABLE

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Re: ONLY 2 LEGS LEFT IN THE 5 LEGGED CUBAN MASTERS RUMBA TABLE

Postby Omelenko1 » Mon May 17, 2010 1:36 pm

How about Jose Madera, cause he was part of it. Had he joined Puente already?

Dario
Omelenko1

Postby jorge » Mon May 17, 2010 1:59 pm

Are we talking about rumba here, as the thread title says, or are we talking about Afrocuban jazz and the incorporation of Afrocuban rhythms into North American Latin Jazz? Different music, different innovators, different places.
jorge

Postby Omelenko1 » Mon May 17, 2010 7:06 pm

We are talking about the Cuban tumbadores that carried the torch after Chano in the US. They were all rumberos to begin with, then North America led them in other directions, such as Latin dance music and Afro Cuban jazz, but rumba was "la semilla". Precisely in order of age: Mongo, Candido, Armando, Patato and Francisco. These gentleman spread the popularity of the conga drum through out the world. Tata certainly belongs in this group, but the situation with the Cuban government keep his exposure somewhat hidden, unlike his Cuban counterparts living in the US.

Dario
Omelenko1

Postby davidpenalosa » Mon May 17, 2010 9:51 pm

Carlos Vidal Bolado (1914 - 1996) came to the US before Chano (1943), was the first to play congas regularly with jazz (Machito) and was the first to record truly authentic folkloric rumbas.

There is some info on the Fans of Carlos Vidal page.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=1 ... 999&ref=ts

I spoke with Carlos' son last night. Unfortunately there is little info available concerning Carlos Vidal's rumba days in the 30's. But then, I have found very little on that subject period. Almost all of the information about those trailblazers concerns their time in bands.
-David
davidpenalosa

Postby Omelenko1 » Tue May 18, 2010 1:00 pm

David is correct. Carlos Vidal Bolado, Machito's original tumbador, came to the US before Chano, as well as Diego Iborra (Mofeta), Chino Pozo and Guillermo "Bill" Alvarez.
I always liked the old Cuban school sound of Carlos Vidal, aside from the Machito albums, I have him with the Jazz Crusaders on a 60's LP "Chile Con Soul" and with Clare Fischer on another 60's recording of "Manteca". Vidal sounded very much like Mongo. I have contacted his son Brian, who inhereted his dad's 1950's Tom Flores Valje congas.

Dario
Omelenko1

Postby jorge » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:18 pm

Any new information on Carlos Vidal from his son or others?
jorge

Previous

Return to Open Discussion