Problems With The Conventional Conga . . .

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Re: Problems With The Conventional Conga . . .

Postby smcolema » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:16 pm

bongosnotbombs wrote:
RitmoBoricua wrote:
Another way to create the next generation of congas is to use materials and technology that is more earth friendly.

You mean like hemp congas? :lol:
http://hempworld.com/shop/MainPageHempB ... erials.htm

congas_web.jpg

I think biodegradable wood, recyclable steel and natural skin congas are very earth friendly.
Except for maybe some of the paints and chrome process. Now guys are using
powder coat and stainless steel. Of course, lots of drums are left natural and unpainted as well.

Point taken. The "Green" movement is really big.
smcolema

Postby bongosnotbombs » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:30 pm

smcolema wrote: I am going to step off the edge and design a digital conga. My target user will be the "new age" population of percussionists with the theme of portability.

Electric guitars aren't actually digital are they? and I think most keyboards are MIDI, which would probably be best for an electric/digital conga. I think the challenge for you is designing an electric conga which is not another version of the Roland Handsonic.

They make some upright basses out of aluminum which I always thought might have potential in congas,
Attachments
url-2.jpg
bongosnotbombs

Postby smcolema » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:48 pm

bongosnotbombs wrote:
smcolema wrote: I am going to step off the edge and design a digital conga. My target user will be the "new age" population of percussionists with the theme of portability.

Electric guitars aren't actually digital are they? and I think most keyboards are MIDI, which would probably be best for an electric/digital conga. I think the challenge for you is designing an electric conga which is not another version of the Roland Handsonic.

They make some upright basses out of aluminum which I always thought might have potential in congas,

Thanks for the heads up! My new design would have to come at the market with a different twist on the concept. It's here where I'm thinking of having that actual "real head" feel instead of a pad, while also adding an interesting "conga shell element." It could be that the conga will have interchangeable body designs and lighting effects you can customize for your performances. I have a pinup review tomorrow, and I will include some of your points as background information.

Highly enjoying the dialogue!
smcolema

Postby bongosnotbombs » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:02 pm

ah yes, pin-ups and studios, not to mention the reviews. :roll:
Reminds me of architecture school.

To me the basic question would be: Is the head going to digitally produce the sounds like a handsonic?
Or is the instrument going to electronically modify sounds like an electric guitar's strings, which produce analog sounds?
bongosnotbombs

Postby smcolema » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:33 pm

bongosnotbombs wrote:ah yes, pin-ups and studios, not to mention the reviews. :roll:

To me the basic question would be: Is the head going to digitally produce the sounds like a handsonic?
Or is the instrument going to electronically modify sounds like an electric guitar's strings, which produce analog sounds?

Point well taken! That makes a lot of since. I just got through checking out the hand sonic and it is a pretty cool gadget- I got this sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach when I saw it in action. I think instead of trying to out-do what Roland seems to be king of, I'll need to come at it from a unique angle. At least with the analog sound modification, you are the one producing the sounds and not pre-recorded computer midis.

I have not seen any drum in my market research which modifies analogue like an electric guitar (unless you all have).
smcolema

Postby congamyk » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:09 am

bongosnotbombs wrote:ah yes, pin-ups and studios, not to mention the reviews. :roll:

Speaking of the Handsonic .... now there's this

http://drums-percussion.musiciansfriend.com/product/Korg-Wavedrum?sku=584003

NOT as conga-esque or conga-centric as the Handsonic and it is just one single pad.
The pad is a different material and the sound changes depending on where and how it's struck.
One has to memorize the sound and/or effect locations on the pad as they are not partitioned like the Handsonic.
About the same price as the Handsonic with a built-in backing groove machine.
A couple of vids:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdA9QE9RpbY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrso0c14f-s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hq0YZnEllG8
congamyk

Postby smcolema » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:28 pm

Thanks for the reference. Also noted.
smcolema

Problems With The Conventional Conga . . . maybe some closur

Postby smcolema » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:29 pm

Realized today that I had never posted a final update on the conga project! You can see the final results of the 'Digital Conga' project here: http://www.coroflot.com/smcolema/digital-congas/1
as well as some of my other work. :)

My apologies for leaving some of you hanging! :shock:

Thanks again for all of your help!

Best,

Sean

P.S. If you would like to keep up with my mental flow regarding all things design, you can follow me here: http://smcolema.posterous.com/
There is a link at the bottom of the page where you can subscribe to my feed.
smcolema

Postby Chupacabra » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:49 pm

I like where you are going with this. Definitely very futuristic and innovative! But the SOUND! Do you have any audio clips? :P
... --- ... ... --- ... ...---...
Chupacabra

Postby smcolema » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:22 pm

Chupacabra wrote:I like where you are going with this. Definitely very futuristic and innovative! But the SOUND! Do you have any audio clips? :P

This concept was actually a project for an industrial design studio, so it has not actually been built. Because it relies on existing technology it's supposed to work in theory. Hopefully I can surround myself with the right people, get funding, and construct a working proof of concept model.

The whole idea is to modulate and amplify the head vibrations coming from the user, and not rely on the computer to provide pre-programed voices. Of course you could still add sound effects, much like a guitar and wah-wah pedal.
So when you turn this thing off, you could still play and hear the heads (minus tuning). All tuning would be done digitally, so they would always be in tune when turned on. Maybe the 'deluxe' models would include built-in speakers. :D

>Sean>
smcolema

Postby bongosnotbombs » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:33 pm

very interesting work.
bongosnotbombs

Postby Quinto Governor II » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:02 pm

I'm Sold!
When can I buy a set?
Does the photo mean you've already signed Poncho as an endorser? : > )
Good luck with this project. Looking forward to seeing and hearing it at my local music store.
Yambu
Quinto Governor II

Postby windhorse » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:06 am

smcolema wrote:At least with the analog sound modification, you are the one producing the sounds and not pre-recorded computer midis.

I guess the "pick-up" would have to be piezoelectric, responding to pressure waves to create the "analogue" electric signal. Of course any sort of filtering element that provides for sound variation, and how it responds to your slap, tone, bass, etc. would in itself be a digital device.
A caveat here is that this system would only be an advantage for the people working in bands where PAs are already provided. If you have to carry your own PA just for this instrument, then you very well could be introducing more weight and headache than just a set of congas..
windhorse

Postby ABAKUA » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:54 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby smcolema » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:22 am

windhorse wrote:
smcolema wrote:At least with the analog sound modification, you are the one producing the sounds and not pre-recorded computer midis.

I guess the "pick-up" would have to be piezoelectric, responding to pressure waves to create the "analogue" electric signal. Of course any sort of filtering element that provides for sound variation, and how it responds to your slap, tone, bass, etc. would in itself be a digital device.
A caveat here is that this system would only be an advantage for the people working in bands where PAs are already provided. If you have to carry your own PA just for this instrument, then you very well could be introducing more weight and headache than just a set of congas..

I agree. The "pickup" would work much like an electric guitar, except picking up on head vibration instead of string vibration. You could factory-program the device for 'conga voice' and then tune it from there. (Still, we are relying on 'direct player input (electric guitar)', and not 'triggered sound files (electric keyboard/ traditional digital drums)'. The player would experience the feel and rebound of the head, and have a more natural drumming experience.

Also, you would technically have more weight to haul when you include the separate PA system, but I'm hoping that the ability to move all drums at once, plus the ease of plugging in vs. mic setup will be a good tradeoff. There is still more research to be done. As far as incorporation of speakers into the congas themselves (for smaller venue play), I think Porrazzo Advanced Membrane Transducer technology-AMT would be a perfect, lightweight match: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBqBPVTJ7tk
Again, that would probably be for the 'deluxe' version.

Thanks so much for your feedback!

>Sean>
smcolema

PreviousNext

Return to Open Discussion