That nasty sound: Tinnitus!

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Re: That nasty sound: Tinnitus!

Postby caballoballo » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:22 pm

Yeah, tinnitus is a very MOF ( una molestia cabrona ) and yes could be emanating from all those things you all has mention. Sometimes is a side effect from conventional medicine for examples some antibiotics or sinusitis drugs.

Around February I catched a very bad cold and started hearing this fucking noise in my ears so I visited my regular doctor . I thought it would go away once the cold was gone. Surprise,It did not, so after April 17 (Vertigo started )I decided to visit an ENT because I would get so dizzy that I could not stand, first was the room spinning around, later was vertigo which is something that could happen any time. I remember this particular night after playing with the band ,the vertigo hit me while comming home, lucky of me that my honey was driving, when we got home I was dragging my body against the wall to get to my room,I could not stand straight. I thought my life was over,could not play anymore beacuse I was afraid of been hit by the vertigo while driving alone late at night or at any time during the day,those vertigo episodes lasted until almost the end of May. So after a couple of visits to the ENT, some lab test, MRIs ,ect, all without any positive results about what was causing the fucking noise and the vertigo I decide to visit a center for natural alternative medicine. They put me on a diet & also prescribed a whole bunch of natural supplements including vitamins,herbs,teas specially ginger uffff that stuff is nasty , coleslaw juice in the morning and exercise. Another prescrition was a big ass list of things that I should not eat. One very funny recomendation was to seat only my ass into a hot big pot of water for 20 minutes. The end result it is that tinnitus is almost gone,vertigo had not happen since about 3 weeks thanks the Lord, tinitus I do not feel it unless Iistening carefully. During the worse time at night sleep it did not bother me a lot because I am a sleeper I could sleep anytime even standing. Sleep is a pleasure for me. During the day I take about three power naps to recharge. Also I exercise about 3 times a week which include weight lifting ,walking about 2 miles at a fast pace & running a couple laps. Life is precious so tinnitus if not going to take it away from me. There are some supplements like BIOFLAVANOIDEs & RING STOP that helps a lot, also you have to quit smoking and drinking coffe ,both of them constrict the small blood vessels running in your ears. Do not avoid sex.

About Ear plugs, I bought a set of HEAROS from musician friends which do the trick during playing and yes you can hear every instrument, it is a matter of getting use & no excuses.
Josean
caballoballo

Postby Mike » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:21 am

Hi caballoballo,
it is really sad to hear you have suffered from that nasty sound too.
That vertigo you had sounds gruesome indeed. I am very glad that
the worst phase is over for you.
Physical exercise is very good indeed, plus a healthy lifestyle in general
I must say I have some problems giving up drinking coffee and alcohol,
but the good side is that I do like ginger. :)

My compliments, you seem to have tackled the problem very straight.

And yes, playing with earplugs is simply a necessity and very easy to manage.

Take care
& many greetings by
Mike, the still very early bird due to some chirping inside
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby caballoballo » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:59 am

Hola Hermano Mike, Yes indeed vertigo is a very bad sickness specially the spinning around mode. I have experience that one a couple times, the other in which the horizon is tilted I think is the worse one. About coffe I use to drink 2 strong cups every day and sometimes again in the afternoon but since I realize it was doing no good for my health I decided to quit, only on weekends my wife prepares a light type which I could drink. I do still drink alcohol specially red wine but no Iam not quiting .

My wife uses ginger as a cold remedy and it works for her. For me is too strong, imagine I have to drink a cup 3 times a day I hated.

Life changes as we age & if we don't take precautions is going to be very hard until the end.
Last time I have an audiometry test they told me to use protection because I was loosing my hearing. Now even at rehearsals I use ear plugs.

Talking about playing, I have two gigs this weekend & one on the July 19.
Josean
caballoballo

Postby Novato » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:24 pm

Hi Mike, I read this post some time ago and I wondered if this would happen to me as I have some hearing loss on my right ear for some time. The ENT Dr. told me I passed my hearing test about 15 years ago, but I knew he was wrong because I could'nt hear high frequencies out of my right ear. Anyway I sympathized with you and the others who said they had the same problem I never forgot the term tinnitus after I read it here.
Guess what, I visited my family in Puerto Rico earlier on this month and a few days later the ringing began. Although I stayed in the house most of my time there, I went with my niece sand her boyfriend to a pool hall this one night. We were the only ones there and yet the music was blasting. Yes they had all the classics on the vellonera, but I think It was the song Fuego En El 23 by La Sonora Poncena that I happened to approach el mingo, and the speaker hit me at the perfect angle that I remember my suddeen discomfort in my ears. I paid it no mind and I continued to play and enjoy the music. When I got back to my mother's house, the fan in my bedroom was one of those industrial types, very loud! (No AC and boys, was it hot :cry: ) it blasted in my small bedroom all night until the morning. The next morning my ears began to ring. The rest of the week, I slept with my headphone earbuds from my ipod on since I didn't have earplugs and it was very hot.
The ringing has not stopped since I got back, and I finally called my doctor for a referral to the ENT.
When I was young, I used to blast my headphones and I hand one of the ones others wish they had because it was very loud. At least that's what I thought at the time.
Side note,
I have noticed also that lately when I fly and I go swimming I get water in my ears. When I went to PR last ine March, I went swimming at a pool and I got a nasty ear infection. I believe the altitude pressure and swimming combo is causing this problem for me.
I flew to Fla from Philadelphia about 8 years ago and I got water in my left ear I believe so bad that it din't clear for about 8 days. I couldn't hear at all out of that ear for about 1 week. My ears have been traumatized and now I'm paying the consequences. Sorry for the long post. Bernard
Novato

Postby caballoballo » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:37 pm

Yes tinnitus is a bad thing. Yesterday I was talking to my son about him listening to the music in the car too loud. I said to him that if he does not want to end up like me he better cut down on the volume. I have lost hearing in my left ear due to years of been expose to loud music and my actual job in aviation. I am expose to loud noise during my work day, even if you wear ear plugs or earmuff the noise is always present,it vibrate thru your body. These days I try to protect myself better and also stay away from the flight line,if I have no job outside,I have no bussiness to be there. About using ear plugs while playing is a must, I have no problem doing that, believe me, once you realize you have no other choice your body will get use in a heart beat. Also you would be able to hear everybody playing. By using earplugs you could feel and hear yourself better. Music playing is our passion but we need to be prudent and conserve the hearing we have now or have left.

Today is one of those days when my veins are itching urging me to paly and I would have to hit the Bongó as soon as I get home but I will plug my ears.
Josean
caballoballo

Postby Mike » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:01 am

Bernard, I am sorry to hear abut your ear problems. Is your hearing loss permanent now? The cut off high frequencies seem to have been a dangerous first step.
Yes, diving and altitude changes, like in airplanes, are part of the stress on your ears too.
I used to swim and dive a lot, but diving is really nasty for my ears these days.
The tricky point about about exposure to noise/loud music etc. seems to be that you only realize
it when it is too late...
caballoballo wrote:I have lost hearing in my left ear due to years of been expose to loud music and my actual job in aviation.

Oye caballoballo, it is so sad to read about your hearing loss :(

caballoballo wrote:Yesterday I was talking to my son about him listening to the music in the car too loud. I said to him that if he does not want to end up like me he better cut down on the volume.

You are so wise and sensible to pass on your painful knowledge to your son.
That is really the point, making the young ones aware that they have to be careful! My sons wear earplugs on concerts on their own now.
caballoballo wrote:About using ear plugs while playing is a must, I have no problem doing that, believe me, once
you realize you have no other choice your body will get use in a heart beat. Also you would be able to hear everybody playing. By using earplugs you could feel and hear yourself better. Music playing is our passion but we need to be prudent and conserve the hearing we have now or have left.

Well put! When it comes to drumming, earplugs are very good in the way you mention. When playing the trombone with earplugs in, however, it is really disturbing and awkward hearing yourself like a meek version of Miles Davis muted trupet sound...
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby Novato » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:14 pm

Thanks caballoballo and Mike.
There won't be any diving for me I don't think due to my ear problems and as far as flying is concerned, it's a necessary evil. Although I would like to sail everywhere I go, there is just not enough time right now for that, at least not until I retire. I was considering learning how to dive since I'm also a sailor, but I guess I'll get the doctor's opinion on that.
I'm sure I've had permanent hear loss for some time now as I indicated, but I'm sure that it has gotten worse over the years. But like I said, I only notice the hear loss on my right ear and that's only on high frequencies. Right now I can't hear high frequencies on either ear because of the constant loud ringing in both ears, but I hope it will go away sometime, hopefully sooner than later. The loud beep doesn't really bother me unless I let it. It's definitely anoying, but it won't get in the way of my sleep.
I can hear fine, but usually when I speak to someone, I find myself reading their lips ior if there is any other significant ambient noise as this seems to throw my hearing somewhat awry. My I dont like to watch TV with my wife because she likes it waaay too low, (lower than most people) and it's just frustrating. Believe it or not, hear loss causes problems, at least for me it has. It has caused arguments, "not too loud, thats too low", etc. I'm not one who blast the TV as I really can't stand a loud TV since louds sonds bother me anyway.
I don't mind playing with ear plugs on. It is what is is.
Novato

Previous

Return to Open Discussion