That nasty sound: Tinnitus!

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Re: That nasty sound: Tinnitus!

Postby Mike » Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:00 pm

Thanks again for the various replies that came pouring in.
Apart from still sleepless nights, hours to drive to and wait in hospital for the infusion to drip in,
I try at least to establish something like a balance for a start...

As you can see from my nightly posts, I try to spend the time I lack in energy to play :(
in investigating & joining the conga community out there, leaving bits of advice here and there
and planning new projects, like my LP Palisade Park fiberglass quinto or my mule skin upgrade
with El Greco´s marvellous skins :D

Listening to music is OK, but only at half throttle - relaxed rumba is the key.

It will take 1 or 2 weeks to de-accelerate (word?) my life further, so that the heart and the mind dont race.
Paz!
Mike
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby bdrbongo » Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:57 am

I suffer from tinnitus also, and I hate to say it, but if you don't take care of the problem now, you will hear that ring the rest of you life. I wa a foolish young man and loved my loud music. Now I have a ringing in my ears that doesn't stop. In everyday situations I don't even notice it anymore, but when it's quiet and I've been in a noisy situation, it rears it's ugly head and dominates the soundscape. I can tune it out when I try, but sometimes I take an antihistimine to help keep it down( it works, I don't know how, but it does.) PROTECT YOUR HEARING! I wish I had.
bdrbongo

Postby Mike » Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:15 am

bdrbongo wrote:I suffer from tinnitus also, and I hate to say it, but if you don't take care of the problem now, you will hear that ring the rest of you life.

bdrbongo,
thanks for your comment and I am sorry that you also have to suffer.
At the very moment, coming to terms with the sound and finding out about the complexity of stressful situation
are my strategy. I think it is not really that helpful to regard the tinnitus sound as your enemy you have to fight, but to take a close look at your life in general... Simply let the tinnitus sound not take rule over you.
Well, it´s a hard way, but we should keep on trying.

Best wishes
Mike
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby Mike » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:21 am

Hello again, I thought I´d keep everyone informed about my status 4 weeks after the tinnitus sound began.

Well, to be honest, what has REALLY helped so far is consulting a Dutch physiotherapist in the last days. The Dutch are miles ahead in those matters in Europe, always cutting edge because their training is so up to date. Precisely speaking, this guy, an osteopath, found about that my whole body and thus the blood circulation too suffers from muscle tenseness and therefore all the rest of the body is out of balance. Hence the malfunctioning of the blood vessels in the ear.
So I work on my posture, train my sense of balance (by standing on one leg with eyes closed, e.g.), and the Dutch guy tries to reactivate the correct muscle region and also stimulates the organs, which are consequently also out of balance, by exerting pressure on them. This is a highly tactile job, and it incredible how much this effects! Most amazing, but the bottom line is: More than 10 hours of infusion in the hospital, it helps, for it goes to the PHYSICAL ROOTS of this functional disorder rather than fiddling about with the symptoms.
Apart from treating real DISEASES, I have grown very dissatisfied with the conventional medical treatment here in Germany - but at the end of the day, tinnitus "just" reveals some MALFUNCTIONING of body and soul, but it is not really a disease...
Keeping outward stress at bay on the hand and taking more care of my body as well as finding ways to relax is really the key. It all needs time to reflect, e.g. on long walks along the river Rhine and the muscle memory of the body takes its time also. I am not finished yet, but I feel I am on the right way now.

I just wanted to share these revelations, especially because I am quite happy to have nearly overcome what I would actually call a life crisis.

Guys & gals, take care! And thank you very much for your input which I highly appreciated!
Mike
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby yambu321 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:01 am

MIKE, THAT'S GREAT NEWS BRO.
I WAS WONDERING HOW YOU WERE DOING, AND THIS IS SURELY VERY PROMISING.

TAKE CARE ALWAYS AND PLEASE KEEP US POSTED.

YOU'RE THE MAN MIKE!

CHARLIE 8)
Keep It Real, Keep It Honest, and Alway's Be True To Yourself. Laugh and Smile When Ever You Can, and Help others do the Same; It's a Good Thing!
yambu321

Postby seisporocho1 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:09 pm

Hey guys,

I am glad Mike brought this issue up because I also deal with permanent tinnitus. It's been over a year. I'm 32. I've played with a very loud band for many years and it has taken a toll. Like someone else said already, I am ok on the average and unless it's completely quiet, it doesn't really bother me. It is when I try to fall asleep at night that I feel that constant beep. It drives you nuts sometimes. :shock: I don't have hear loss but it has even affected my attention span as it is a distraction.
So I've tried wearing earplugs and sometimes I keep them on but other times I get so frustrated with not hearing myself that I take at least one out to hear what I'm doing. The next day that one ear is shot!
For years we've had meetings about keeping the noise down but once on stage, it's like all the conversations we had are out the window! I know I would have to leave the band or simply leave the plugs in. I will give the latter my hardest try but eventually I might have to step away from the noisy lifestyle. The band is not just a weekend project. I've been with them for 4 years and it pays my bills. It is also growing with nice possibilities in the future. So it has been really hard to consider walking away now.
But in the end, I would like to say that what Mike has found out thru his Dutch doctor is absolutely true!! Tinitus does not have to stay with you forever. Exercise, diet and a balanced lifestyle is EVERYTHING. When I exercise, my posture improves and my muscles relax better and my mind clears. I instantly feel a difference.
BTW, booze and cigarrette smoke doesn't help either! I don't smoke but I am in bars and clubs playing all the time. I also LOVE me some BEERS.
So there it is. Just be healthy, smart and careful and you'll be fine.
Wear plugs, do things right. It's a shitty lesson once it's too late!!! Can you imagine being 60 years and not being able to listen to a nice CD or god forbid yourself on the drums??! :shock: F*@# that! Look to the future.

Take care rumberos.
Aiku,
6x8
seisporocho1

Postby windhorse » Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:31 am

seisporocho1 wrote:So I've tried wearing earplugs and sometimes I keep them on but other times I get so frustrated with not hearing myself that I take at least one out to hear what I'm doing. The next day that one ear is shot!

I'd like to offer that learning to wear earplugs is a form of training,,, like how you become a decent musician.. It doesn't happen over night. I believe that you have to find the right levels of sound that you make in relation to the rest of the band, with earplugs, by experimentation and a disciplined practice, just like learning to play congas. BTW, I'm not necessarily saying that seisporocho needs any advice - later in his post he sounds like he's fine with his own approach,, just putting it out there as a discussion item.. :)
windhorse

Postby seisporocho1 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:11 pm

Windhorse,

You're absolutely right about the earplug practice. If one is not used to it, it is a shocker to realize how much they deaden the sound on both other instruments and your own. So if one practices at home with them, then it isn't such an adjustment process on stage.
I am starting to do so myself.

peace
Aiku,
6x8
seisporocho1

Postby Mike » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:04 pm

Using earplugs, there are some models like the ones I mentioned that do NOT deaden the sound completely,
but which offer different adjustment facilities depending on the volume of the acoustic situation (sounds good, eh? :wink: )

So, the experience with my earplugs has been very positive so far.
What I actually hear is pretty much the same as what I record, for example.
Overtones are muted - which is a good thing for my ears - but the sound is not muffled at all.

So I plug´n´play :lol:

Just my 2 ears is all I got...

Mike
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby ABAKUA » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:27 am

Had a really loud gig last night, went to bed with that slight ringing in the ears thats interupts you from falling asleep...

Had this photo taken of me as I tried to sleep....

ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby Mike » Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:23 am

ABAKUA wrote:Had a really loud gig last night, went to bed with that slight ringing in the ears thats interupts you from falling asleep...

I am sorry to hear that, bro! :(
You should take this very seriously and try to relax and NOT expose yourself to any noise at all for a couple of days if possible.
The ringing then is surely bound to go away.
Let´s hope for it!

Take care
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby ABAKUA » Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:35 am

Yeh all gone now, was just last night once I got to the bed...

Picture made me laugh though. :lol:
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby Mike » Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:57 am

ABAKUA wrote:Picture made me laugh though. :lol:

Me too -only that I really felt that way a coule of weeks ago :x
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby Mario2CP » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:03 pm

Hey guys,
so I' m back, different forum section now. There was a salsa congress here in prague and they played music very loud, than I practised my conga every day for 2-4 hrs last 10 days and I DJed few gigs and 3 days back from now ringing started in my right ear. I have to wear earplugs to notice it during a day but I can hear it when i go sleep in quiet room. I'm big fan of sleeping so I havent found it extremaly difficult to fall asleep. I\ll try some sound hygiene for a few days and i hope it improves...i think my body is in a good condition since I dance 4 times a week 2-5 hrs a day...

2 Mike: Has your situation improved?

Mario
Mario2CP

Postby terra3 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:45 pm

Hi there, new to congas, but (unfortunately) old to tinnitus.

Loud music as youngster, no doubt. And irradiation of my head for a brain tumor several years back . . . 'always on my mind' (pun intended). But in my case I suspect one incident had the largest bearing: one early a.m. several years ago, rousting from my sleep with a coyote causing trouble with my animals. Ran outside, bathrobe flowing, raised my rifle, banged off a shot and 'bing'; serious ringing. Was a very serious problem daily for a year and a half. I play keyboards, and it got so that there was a constant sympathetic resonance with the various keys . . . some moreso than others. Incredibly difficult to deal with and affected how often I was playing.

But of the last 6 months or so I've noticed a difference since actively trying to get neck arthritis in line. As with several other folks here, conscious attention to exercise, diet and (indeed) stresses are having a big effect on both the arthritis and ! my tinnitus. Haven't had any serious spells of late, loud ringing and pulsing only rarely if ever (can't recall in last 3 months or so), and high frequency hearing has improved. Listening to 2-channel stereo I'm starting to hear the soundstage more correctly again (lack of high frequency affects the subtle cues big-time). Half the time a very, very low level 'hissing sound' that I can pretty much tune out, with the very slight volume of a radio playing in the background at night shutting it out completely when trying to get to sleep.

So despite even my Dr. claiming 'there is nothing we can do . . . you are getting old . . . . !", that is not always the case. Damn old dog of a doctor!!
terra3

PreviousNext

Return to Open Discussion