VIDEO THREAD - POST ALL VIDEO's/CLIPS HERE!!!!!

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Postby congamyk » Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:14 am

congamyk

Postby windhorse » Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:34 pm

The little boy! Jeeze! Amazing!
Talking to my girlfriend last night about that kid on the video, she mentioned that at Bantu camp this year in Santa Fe, One of the guys who's a part of the Ghanaian tradition that lives in Boulder, Maputo, has a 2 year old son who has channeled a great drum God and is similarly amazing!! Apparently he was dazzling everyone, and Maputo would just shrug his shoulders and say,, I didn't teach him any of that, he just knows it.
Maybe there is an evolution in humankind going on behind the scenes that gives us hope for the future!

"The One",, nice stuff, especially for an American not immersed in Cuban culture that just got serious 2 years ago!! Good on ya! Two things... If you haven't yet learned it on the gajate block, try the clave instead of the downbeat.
An aside,, Don't take this as negative criticism because it's not. I hope you're taking lessons!!! It appears that you are by your chops,, but a lot of people just have natural talent to the extent you showed there.
If you're not,, dude,, go and get them! You've got the rhythmic foundations and that's where you start,, but learning the traditions from someone who's been around a while is so inspiring and good for your musical growth, that it's shooting yourself in the foot if you don't do it! Do it with an open mind, and let go of any images you have of yourself being a fabulous player with people getting your autographs and laying roses at your feet. The ego has to totally be put aside to get good. I love seeing people learn, and hope you learn millions of things from your teachers whoever they may be.

About the last Isla Rumba vids,, I looked at all three.. Don't you love Ochosi!! It always gets me when we get to those songs! yeah..
On the Guaguanco ,, I really love those muffled tones coming out of the Tres Dos! Love that technique!
And the Abakua,, interesting with the double hits on the tumba.. Made an unfamiliar tweak in rhythm I'm not used to , but fit with their sound really nice..

Good stuff everybody!
Love this list!

Dave

Edited By windhorse on 1154965442
windhorse

Postby TheOne » Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:28 pm

Thanx for the advice WindHorse! I only had 1 day of lessons from someone really experienced about a year and a half ago.From then on I have only been improving by myself.The guy that gave me the lessons,is suprised at how far I have gotten by myself.But I have a lot more 2 learn.The thing is,I play for my church and I'm not around any latin style music.Only if I buy a latin cd and practice in my room.I also have to get a professional conga set.Those ones that I am playing,the guy that gave me the lessons,those are his old ones! So they are bent,rusted,and worn out!!!!! I just bought a Lp aspire conga to add as my 3rd one.And I hope reading the forums on this site will also help me,Knowing there are a lot of experienced professional players on here giving advice!!
thanx,
Isaiah Rodriguez:)
TheOne

Postby tamboricua » Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:16 pm

The legendary plenero Marcial Reyes on Youtube.

Marcial Reyes

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby Berimbau » Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:20 pm

I think that many of the videos being posted here, especially of percussionists now departed, are of such great value that we should start a seperate category for them. To our esteemed moderators, do you not agree?

Saludos,

Berimbau
Berimbau

Postby SkinDeep » Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:30 pm

tamboricua wrote:The legendary plenero Marcial Reyes on Youtube.

Marcial Reyes

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio

LOOKS LIKE PART OF THE OPUS VIDEOS, AM I RIGHT?
MOFORIBALE AL TAMBO!!!
SkinDeep

Postby SkinDeep » Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:37 pm

MOFORIBALE AL TAMBO!!!
SkinDeep

Postby ABAKUA » Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:00 am

Berimbau wrote:I think that many of the videos being posted here, especially of percussionists now departed, are of such great value that we should start a seperate category for them. To our esteemed moderators, do you not agree?

Saludos,

Berimbau

I would tend to agree. But dont knwo whether a new category can be added given the current structure, thats up to the Administrator.

However, our moderator 'powers' so to speak dont allow us to create new categories.
I'll email the head administrator, and put it past him.
Hopefully he can reply here with what he can do/thinks of the idea or whether he feels this one thread is enough to post all clips etc here.

In one way I feel its easier to find all clip in this one thread, but I guess we will leave it to him!

Edited By ABAKUA on 1155129477
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby congamyk » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:41 am

Dig this old school nostalgia & the beauties on the balcony!

celeste mendoza rumba

Edited By congamyk on 1155170540
congamyk

Postby ABAKUA » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:54 am

congamyk wrote:Dig this old school nostalgia & the beauties on the balcony!

celeste mendoza rumba

Hey brother!

Thanks for that link, but check the first page, 6 posts down, I posted this clip.

CELESTE MENDOZA!!! A piece of rumba history!!!! That looks like Carlitos Embales to her left...

CLICK HERE! (La Ultima Rumba, live rumba guaguanco)
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:46 am

Standing right behind Celeste Mendoza is the Great Carlos Embale and he only sings a bit of the coros.....that is a classic Rumba video shot inside a "solar" in Havana....Celeste Mendoza had a very "strong" presence and could "hang with the men"...."JC" Johnny Conga... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby Diceman » Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:39 am

Myk,

Thanks for the pointer. The real deal!!

Diceman
Diceman

Postby Charangaman » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:33 pm

Nice one congamyk, muy fina..

Anyone still play with a puro on the go?
Any smoker on board?
Charangaman

Postby ABAKUA » Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:52 am

ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby pavloconga » Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:14 am

Thanks so much for the previous two posts (Celeste Mendoza and Giovanni). They are both awesome.

Pavlo
pavloconga

PreviousNext

Return to Open Discussion