VIDEO THREAD - POST ALL VIDEO's/CLIPS HERE!!!!!

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Re: VIDEO THREAD - POST ALL VIDEO's/CLIPS HERE!!!!!

Postby bongosnotbombs » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:38 pm

Jackson_B wrote:
bongosnotbombs wrote:Kind of a long shot, but did anyone happen to have downloaded that video posted a while back with Marlon Brando and jack Constanzo playing congas at Marlon's house during an interview? Sadly the video has been "removed by user" on Youtube. :(

I found it at this website: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2187002007562349927#

Hey, thanks a lot man! I was sad to think it was no longer available. Such a classic.
bongosnotbombs

Postby Jackson_B » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:08 pm

bongosnotbombs wrote:Hey, thanks a lot man! I was sad to think it was no longer available. Such a classic.

I was actually looking for it just this past weekend and ran into the same problem that you did. I found several youtube links that all said "removed by user". Finally, I found that that one. You're right, it's a classic.
Jackson_B

Postby bongosnotbombs » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:21 pm

Thanks again, I've downloaded it now!
bongosnotbombs

Postby yoni » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:39 am

Very cool video. Can't hear Marlon's quinto quite enough but you can see he's got it! Thanks for posting!
yoni

Postby Mike » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:39 am

Wow, amazing, I did not know Brando really played conga.
A very nice video, especially because of Jack Costanzio´s impressive playing. 8)
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby bongosnotbombs » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:25 pm

Mike wrote:Wow, amazing, I did not know Brando really played conga.
A very nice video, especially because of Jack Costanzio´s impressive playing. 8)

Mike, you're behind the times man..
Marlon's playing has been the subject of many posts and pictures.
I find it a very interesting subject

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=6766&hilit=brando

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4453&hilit=brando

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2265&hilit=brando
bongosnotbombs

Postby niallgregory » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:08 pm

Here is a video of our trio playing the " Black orpheus " theme at a local cafe gig . The audio is not great due to the camera being on a table in the crowd . Just trying out my new zoom audio / video recorder :D Niall gregory on Cajon , Barry Leahy Guitar and Daren Rooney on Double Bass ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmDkgNugpGA
niall gregory
niallgregory

Postby burke » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:48 pm

Man you are right about the sound! I can hear the drunkards yelling at each other pretty well though :lol:

I faintly made out a zittzzz , zittzz, zittzz from your cajon ...I think.

I used to play witha combo that did this tune, played bongo with it, must try it with cajon.

Cheers

Darrell
Burke
burke

Postby niallgregory » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:06 pm

burke wrote:Man you are right about the sound! I can hear the drunkards yelling at each other pretty well though :lol:

I used to play witha combo that did this tune, played bongo with it, must try it with cajon.

Cheers

Darrell

cajon is the way to go for the bossa nova tunes imo , easy to replicate the kit and get a nice samba vibe going . Starting to really enjoy playing it again .
niall gregory
niallgregory

Postby jorge » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:45 am

Nice one Niall. The cajon gave a mellow kick/snare feeling that went well with the song.
jorge

Postby rhythmrhyme » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:33 am

niallgregory wrote:
burke wrote:Man you are right about the sound! I can hear the drunkards yelling at each other pretty well though :lol:

Cheers

Darrell

cajon is the way to go for the bossa nova tunes imo , easy to replicate the kit and get a nice samba vibe going . Starting to really enjoy playing it again .

AND... it doubles as a good place to sit. Nice mellow scene you had there. Given that most of my family names have irish roots I'm due for a visit to your parts. Know any Bickford's or O'Dwyers :D what about a Lukyn or O'Day - an irish/british mut I am :roll:
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana
rhythmrhyme

Postby Mike » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:03 am

bongosnotbombs wrote:
Mike wrote:Wow, amazing, I did not know Brando really played conga.

Mike, you're behind the times man..
Marlon's playing has been the subject of many posts and pictures.

Sorry for my ignorance. :oops:
I had only seen the pictures of Marlon Brando posing with bongos and congas and had thought that
was mere posing.
Really interesting topic indeed, thanks for the other links.
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:32 pm

Marlon Brando hung out in Cuba in the early 50's as well as Errol Flynn and many other actors actresses and the like..In the movie "Guys and Dolls" Marlon Brando and Frank Sinatra play rival gangsters and are in Cuba in part of the movie where Brando plays a little bongos...so he had the experience of Rumba in Cuba..he came back and hooked up with Jack Costanzo who had also frequented Cuba and learned how to play from being there and the rest is his-story....That video comes from the Edward R. Murrow show that was very popular when TV was in black and white 1950's...I have the whole show on video also with other actors and actresses he interviewed...Marlon could 'get down'...there was also a bit of rivalry between him and James Dean(who also tried playing the Congas)... Brando said ..."he can't play!"....

James Dean short conga.jpg
James Dean short conga.jpg (30.52 KiB) Viewed 166742 times

james_deans.jpeg
james_deans.jpeg (54.86 KiB) Viewed 166743 times
I actually have this recording Jimmy did in Texas at a friends house..back in 54 55 before he died in a fatal car crash..
JohnnyConga

Postby niallgregory » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:41 pm

jorge wrote:Nice one Niall. The cajon gave a mellow kick/snare feeling that went well with the song.

Cheers Jorge . The clip is not great to be fair , will stick some more better quality stuff when i can . We are doing a great version of afro blue with cajon , bass and guitar . The tune really suits the line up . Hey rhythmrhyme get yourself over any time . i will show you round 8)
niall gregory
niallgregory

Postby RitmoBoricua » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:37 pm

Also it have to be noted that Marlon Brando and other "A" list stars of the time hung out at
the legendary "Palladium" in NYC. If I am not mistaken from time to time Marlon sat in with
some of the Palladium orchestras.
RitmoBoricua

PreviousNext

Return to Open Discussion