VIDEO THREAD - POST ALL VIDEO's/CLIPS HERE!!!!!

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Postby yoni » Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:54 am

Wow, great stuff! Thanks!
yoni

Postby CongaTick » Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:16 pm

Steady,

Your doubles are very cool. Are you using Yoni's straight double bounce or heel-toeing?
CongaTick

Postby steady freddy » Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Thanks CT!

"Yoni's" doubles? (mind you, lots of respect for Yoni :) ) Funny enough I got my double bounces from Paolo Mejias and Gio when someone showed me some :p tapes of them quite a while ago. I also use the double heel-toe. I love how Anga uses that. If you like I can record some excercises on doubles and post them.

Happy Drumming,
Steady Freddy
steady freddy

Postby jorge » Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:05 pm

Skindeep,
That is a real treasure - Anga demonstrating basic patterns of both Mozambique and Guaguanco. There are different ways to play the conga parts of Mozambique, but the basic pattern and timing are often misunderstood. Anga is showing the correct timing, accents, and hand patterns, and counts it off to show where the downbeat falls and where the tumbador fits.
Nice demo of guaguanco for 1 conguero also. Are there any other rhythms on that tape? Precious stuff!
Thanks.

Edited By jorge on 1169911510
jorge

Postby windhorse » Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:25 pm

Nice Steady! Very quick and nicely laid out hand patterns! This stuff is inspiriational for me, when you guys put your own stuff out there and it's so good! Yeehaaaaaah!
windhorse

Postby SkinDeep » Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:58 pm

jorge wrote:Skindeep,
That is a real treasure - Anga demonstrating basic patterns of both Mozambique and Guaguanco. There are different ways to play the conga parts of Mozambique, but the basic pattern and timing are often misunderstood. Anga is showing the correct timing, accents, and hand patterns, and counts it off to show where the downbeat falls and where the tumbador fits.
Nice demo of guaguanco for 1 conguero also. Are there any other rhythms on that tape? Precious stuff!
Thanks.

IT'S A 3 HOUR RECORDING SO YOU KNOW, THERE'S MORE WHERE THAT CAME FROM :D

GLAD YOU ENJOYED IT YONI.

I LOVE THE WAY HE TEACHES, MAY HE REST IN PEACE.

Edited By SkinDeep on 1169913789
MOFORIBALE AL TAMBO!!!
SkinDeep

Postby jorge » Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:11 pm

Hey SkinDeep,
3 hours of Anga teaching congas on video! coñññÑO! Would you consider editing it down and making a DVD out of it? Or even VHS copies. I bet a lot of us would jump at the chance to buy a copy and would more than cover your costs. Maybe send the extra proceeds to Anga's family. It would be a great benefit to conga players around the world. I am sure Anga would be happy about it too, que descanse en paz.

Edited By jorge on 1169917955
jorge

Postby CongaTick » Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:30 pm

Steady,

Didn't mean to give Yoni more credit than due as double's originator. :) It was just my way of identifying the technique. Paoli is a monster, and your vid is inspirational and re-kindles the practice. Thank you (and your daughter :laugh: )
CongaTick

Postby CongaTick » Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:33 pm

Steady,

Would love any exercises on doubles you could post. As you know, this technique is a bear for those of us who don't have exceptionally nimble/flexible wrists. Any postings would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
CongaTick

Postby onile » Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:59 pm

SkinDeep wrote:THIS IS A ONE ON ONE LESSON ON MOZAMBIQUE WITH ANGA, ENJOY!

Miguel Anga Diaz

Oye Familia!
Como estan la'cosas contigo mi pana?
Espero que todo este bien contigo y la famila mi hermano!

Yo! Brothelito! That "Anga" (Ibaye) clip is excellent! You know, I never heard anything about his lessons given, but in that clip it most certainly shows his mastery and above all else his patience! He was certainly a great teacher by those standards my brother!

Cuidate mi pana!

Suave!
Onile!
Que Nsambi les acutare pa' siempre!
onile

Postby SkinDeep » Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:40 am

Siempre a tu servicio, hermano Onile!

there's a part where he's teaching an exercise for developing mano secreta. what he does is shows the exercise and once the flow is there he counts off and you'll hear him telling the student to slow down or whatever is neccesary for him to grasp the technique, Anga es un genio mi hermano.
MOFORIBALE AL TAMBO!!!
SkinDeep

Postby ABAKUA » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:18 am

Dayem, the boy got quick hands! :)

Javier Oquendo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fFsG1JjJ2M

(Id never heard of him before ??? )

A little more from the man, Anga. RIP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtwaFWpat4s

Like Los Muñequitos de Matanzas there are no others.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQWxwd5t710
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby Colacao » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:05 am

Hello congueros,

"Ragu de tumbadoras" bien picante. Good hand too, it's the same conguero in "Bronx Zoo" on congahead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=po-hZJlGODg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7NdheQby5k

Au revoir :D
Colacao

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:52 pm

The ONLY critique I have is that he shouldn't DISS the way the brother played his version of the Mozambique which is a version that was created before Anga was born and is "ol skool" but that doesn't mean it doesnt work ,, It' just not the "style" of today...though the pattern he is playing has been around since Pello created the Mozambique...."JC" Johnny Conga....my 2 congas....Great Lesson!...
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:00 pm

Javier Quinones ..One BADASS player , just one of the 1,ooo from Cuba...back to practicing..shoot..."JC" Johnny Conga...
JohnnyConga

PreviousNext

Return to Open Discussion