What music are you listening to at the moment?

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Re: What music are you listening to at the moment?

Postby Anonimo » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:30 am

POST REMOVED BY THE AUTHOR
Anonimo

Postby ABAKUA » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:46 pm

These two tracks are getting a workout and a half, currently rehearsing both with my band:

El Besito by Fiesta Havana http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mgzb1PZUAxo sweet clip. What awaits me & my bro in 11 weeks!

Tirso Duarte with Indio's band 'Son Del Indio' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_j2iRnxBvM This one is down tight.
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby niallgregory » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:33 pm

Cal tjader " Sona libre " is getting alot of plays at the moment after all the the talk about the conga solo on insight . Great vibe on this record .pun intended :oops:
niall gregory
niallgregory

Postby Bata23 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:13 am

ya no hace falta, Love love this track
Bata23

Postby Congadelica » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:08 pm

Rumbolero - Protesta Carabali (1968)
These recordings have knocked me for 10. If you like Rumba Matancero you wont be disappointed 5 Star.

Info here

http://sentimientomanana.blogspot.com/2 ... vidia.html

Available here to download

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Protesta-Caraba ... 7&sr=301-1

M
Congadelica

Postby Isaac » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:01 pm

Willie Martinez Famila Sextet,
featuring Willie on Timbales/Drums,
and Renato Thoms and Christian Rivera on percussion.
Very top notch New York Latin Jazz.

http://www.myspace.com/lafamiliasextet
Isaac

Postby niallgregory » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:50 am

Pedro Martinez and Roman Diaz " Rumbos de la rumba " is a seriously good record folks . Cant recommend it highly enough . Pedro for me is the most gifted performer out there .His drumming is amazing and he has an incredible voice . Loving it big time :shock:
niall gregory
niallgregory

Postby jorge » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:57 pm

+1 to Rumbos de la Rumba. That is a great record, Niall, thanks for mentioning it. Pedro Martinez also has another great record out called Slave to Africa that is a killer. It is not as traditional folkloric as Rumbos de la Rumba, is more timba/rumba/bata/abakua fusion, but it has an outstanding guarapachangueo "Bendicion Madre" with Mauricio Herrera that has what I think is some of Pedro's best recorded quinto work, as well as some of the most amazing unison breaks I have ever heard anywhere. The title cut "Slave to Africa" has one of the most swinging coros I have heard, I once got a speeding ticket when I was listening to it in the car (not Pedro's fault, I take responsibility). The album came out about 4 years ago in Japan and is out of print, but available in MP3 format from iTunes and Amazon.
jorge

Postby ABAKUA » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:58 pm

As most of you know, Im a die hard fan of hardcore cuban music, through a close contact Ive gotten my hands on some fantastic new material, alof of which still aint made its way here.
Paulito FG - 2010/11 release, not your typical Paulito, alot heavier than what would be expected from him normally. Great stuff.
Bamboleo - 2010 release, again they have taken it up a notch and produced a great heavy fat ass groove with monster arrangements. Lazarito Valdez really is a musical genius.
Manolito Y Su Trabuco - 2010 release. Great stuff as usual from el Trabuco.
Combinacion de La Habana - 2010's best seller in Havana. Some good stuff mixed in with some weakish stuff, overall not a bad recording.
Mandy Cantero - 2010/11 release, some really good stuff in here. Awesome arrangements, fat ass groove, some real develpoment in his style.
Azucar Negra - 2010/11 release, fantastic to see this band step it up again and keeping up being on top of the game still.
Tirso Duarte - 2010/11 release, what can I say, the man is awesome, one of my favourite Cuban timba acts. Great band, tight arrangements, fat ass grooves.

Great to see all the top acts continuing to come out with new material and ever developing sound, constantly raising the bar and challenging others around them in the game to step it up.
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby Dangler » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:04 pm

Heard a great concert on the radio last night,Jesse Cook,a talented Canadian guitarist, does his take on rumba flamenco has a couple of very talented percussionists with him.

Check it out:

http://www.cbc.ca/radio2/cod/concerts/20100316jesse
Dangler

Postby Mike » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:13 pm

After all those years of searching for US-imports I have been able
to lay my hands on a copy of Cal Tjader´s "Sona Libre" recently
- a true treasure in itself, musically highly interesting, especially the tunes in 6/4 time.
And there is Bill Fitch of course: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=5690
Seems to have been really ahead of his time! There ain´t no insight like "Insight"...
So my Latin Jazz audio archive is lucky now. :D
I could have maybe downloaded it, but with recordings like those I always love to have the "real" album.
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby bongosnotbombs » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:40 am

I've been listening to a track from Cal Tjaders Monterey Concerts, Night in Tunisia with Mongo. I've listened to it so many times I've almost worn out the CD. That track right there has the most driving tumbao I've ever come across. Mongo is relentless.
bongosnotbombs

Postby Wronguero » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:12 pm

I practice a lot listening to afro cuban music, los munequitos. Los papines and lot's of salsa dura cira 1970's nyc so I must admit to sometimes craving something utterly different and as in a previous life I was a dj - I keep up with a lot of experimental and electronic music.. So with that in mind, my mind has been utterly blown away latley by "flying lotus" "teebs" and everything else on "brainfeeder" which I don't know what to call as a genre. It's hyper experimental and borders on lunatic/genius.
Wronguero

Postby TONE74 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:20 am

Kubamisika vol-4 Ritmos Afro Cubanos... Although I heard most of the songs before they made a nice mix of the folkloric stuff...
TONE74

Postby juancho » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:15 pm

Me soñe con este tema..........UUFFF!!!!, first thing was to check it out on tunes this a.m.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJXH2X7mLk4
juancho

PreviousNext

Return to Open Discussion