"The Drummer's Diary" - share w. us what happens to you drumming

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Postby windhorse » Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:27 pm

Just wanted to share something about singing that might help motivate you to song..
Currently, I'm playing with three levels of groups... In the advanced group, I sort of lay back and don't really put myself out there to the fullest extent of my abilities. With the mid-level guys, I'm sometimes stretching it, but also a bit careful. But, the beginner group, being a place where the drum parts are mostly easy for me, I've started standing back from the drums and playing bell or shaker and really digging into the soul with singing.. There's a space that I'm reaching with some of the songs that is more fulfilling than any music I've ever played :laugh:
Some of the Ogun, and Ochun songs feel like the universe is getting shaken up!
It sure is fun belting it out with abandon!

OK,, carry on!
windhorse

Postby windhorse » Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:55 pm

Our latest flyer. We just got a monthly repeating gig at a local coffee house called the "Laughing Goat" that starts on April 22nd - Earth Day.
It's nice to finally have a gig associated with what we've been working on for several years, though I have no delusions of grandeour either. :p

Edited By windhorse on 1143899836
windhorse

Postby ABAKUA » Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:27 am

Good stuff! Good to see hard work pay off. Be sure to get someone to take some pics on the day. :cool:

With my band, we fly to New Zealand next week, there is some big music festival happening there over a week and we are headlining on a few nights.
We are spending a week there. Cant wait!! :) They are expecting several thousands in the crowd.
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby JohnnyConga » Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:16 pm

When I went to perform in Christchurch(the 70's), I found New Zealand to be one of the most beautiful places on earth...but the day we landed the Maori's were marching on the local Government over internal problems. But the country itself is totally beautiful.....have a great gig!!...."JC" Johnny Conga... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby captainquinto » Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:50 am

Greetings Drum Brothers!

... been away for a while with "domestic turn-over" issues!

Easter morning I went to try out some patterns I had been dreaming about.
Looked out the window and had a couple of visitors!! :D

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... lk_004.jpg
Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?
captainquinto

Postby captainquinto » Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:52 am

captainquinto

Postby captainquinto » Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:58 am

captainquinto

Postby onile » Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:26 pm

Alafia Abure Cap'n Q!
I hope that your journey has been one of learning and that you have received the blessings intended for you!

It's great to see you posting once again. Wow! what beautiful creatures, and to be so close to them (your window), did you have to use a zoom on the other fotos?

So what's up with the drummin'? You must still be jammin' like a mad man brothelito!

Many blessings!
Onile!

Edited By onile on 1145374043
Que Nsambi les acutare pa' siempre!
onile

Postby captainquinto » Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:53 pm

Alafia Ni Abure Onile!

Yes ... I have learned much - especially this time around!! :O

Still jammin' and practicing hard, found a bass player and timbalero that sound interested in getting together.

Speaking of which ... let's get together soon! :D

Peace and Happiness,

CQ
captainquinto

Postby windhorse » Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:55 am

ABAKUA wrote: Be sure to get someone to take some pics on the day.

Yep, I'll have the camera there, and get some digitals..
I'm pretty amped about it since most of my friends are coming.. It's going to be a huge dance fest, and all kinds of good energy in the crowd of folks promising to come.. Kind of a harmonic convergence..

I'm unfortunately relegated mostly non-drumming roles since many of the old guys who established the group decades ago are coming into town to sit in front of the (three) drums. But, no worries, I'll sing like a siren.. :angry:

Hey Captain! Those dear were looking right at you through the window eh!?! Looks like they wanted something!

Abakua,, did you guys rock NZ or what??
windhorse

Postby ABAKUA » Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:13 am

We smashed NZ and rocked it like none before! :D

Was awesome. Unbelievable time. Im still resizing my pics, will get em up soon. Thanks for asking brother.
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby windhorse » Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:11 am

We just did a fab gig tonight! It was rocking!
Pics, and even video to come!

A bunch of my teacher buddies came, and several from the beginner groups came to check it out, as well as miscellaneous friends of everybody.

Dave and Dusty had some really nice quinto leads, and Dave did some box bajo stuff that was really nice..
A girl friend I've been trying to get together with for a long time came! I got hooked up!
Then, went out to get the car and it had a ticket for parking in an area not well marked..

After the gig, went to see Que Mando - Johnny Jimo's Salsa band that friggen rocks! Two of the guys in our group play with them, and those guys are smoking hot!

Dave
windhorse

Postby ABAKUA » Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:47 am

Good stuff Windy! :)

Last night I scored a gig where as of next month I will be performing Afro Cuban percussion workshops as a facilitator at a music high school.
Workshops will go for an entire day, once a week.
Ages of the school students are from 12-18.
The students are very excited from what Ive been told by the schools music administrator. Cant wait to get started on them. :cool:
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:08 pm

CONGRATS ON THE TEACHING GIG ABAKUA...DO IT RIGHT!....paz..."JC" Johnny Conga... ....since I came "on staff" at Cornish College of the Arts here in Seattle, I have been trying to establish a "real" Latin music program, but for now I am just a "sub" for Jovino Santos Neto the great Brasilian pianist.....we'll see down the road what lies ahead....
JohnnyConga

Postby Firebrand » Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:02 pm

well, i'm a young fella, and I'm focusing more on my PhD studies right now (International Politics). but, I keep my previous knowledge of music as an important aspect of my life.

I'm gigging currently with two groups, a South-American-themed group, and my father's Latin-American guitar quartet (as percussionist). We play 3-4 times a month, though I hope to jump start a few more "steady" gigs as soon as I finish the doctoral classes (I just can't handle everything).

I'm kinda down that I haven't been able to practice as much as I want to, and I've noticed that my technique or ability in solos has decreased slightly. I feel I played much better 2 or 3 years ago. Unfortunately, force to part-time work by the PhD classes, I cannot afford more than a small 2-bedroom apartment, which I share with my brother (also studying his bachelor's degree and working part time). I'm forced to only practice electric bass (the only thing that I can control the sound.) I've gotten pretty good in the last year or so. I'd say my playing has jumped three times as good as what I was a year ago, due to dedicated practice every day and listening to players like Feliciano Arango of NG La Banda, and the bass players of Humberto Ramirez "Mi Primer Amor" CD, Marc Anthony, and DLG. Also Oscar Stagnaro.

I hope to soon be able to get a full-time job, a more spacious apartment, and a place to practice drums again (I just saw drumming prodigy Eloy Casagrande online and that's gotten to want to practice left-foot clave and double-bass drum techniques!) Here's some of my most recent gig and practice
pics.

I play on a Yamaha Beech Custom 5-piece set, Pearl Maple Custom Snare drum, Sabian AA, AAX, and HH cymbals, Remo Pinstripe Heads with Remo Muffl Rings, and old Yamaha hardware. Occassionally, I add in LP Salsa cowbells, Jam Blocks, and a Tito Puente Brass Timbale set on the left side (like Timba players in Cuba)

I own two electric basses. This is my newest one and the one I use most often. An Ibanez SR506 6-string...the extensibility of playing range, especially for arpeggios and going up and down 3rds, 5ths and octaves is awesome...love that low B string...perfect for nice, funky growl sounds on salsa.

Edited By Firebrand on 1146164705
Firebrand

PreviousNext

Return to Open Discussion