"The Drummer's Diary" - share w. us what happens to you drumming

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Postby ABAKUA » Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:52 pm

Arent you a busy little bee Yoni! :cool:

Makes me happy to hear you are well busy.
Try to post up some pics as I have from my gigs (see thread in Open Discussion)
Great stuff my friend!

I had tonight off (Friday) spent the night with some friends, had a few drinks.

I have a gig at one of Sydney's most happening new Latin niteclubs 2moro night with our Timba band Armandito Y Su Mecanica.
I will post a thread with some new pics for y'all to check out.

Mucho Ache.

Respect.

Marcelo.

Edited By ABAKUA on 1120834478
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby yoni » Fri Jul 08, 2005 3:37 pm

Hey ABAKUA!

Your pics look GREAT! I want to post some of my own, but have no computer, just have a couple of pics in my yahoo mailbox and am still trying to figure out how to post them on the forum...

Your photos are super - I like the one with all the congas - that pair of little ones intrigues me - I would love to hear their sound - I bet they get some real highs.

But I got to admit, the photo that really got me is the one with Kim. Wow. I was blown away. How can you concentrate on teaching her?
:)

Yoni
yoni

Postby ABAKUA » Fri Jul 08, 2005 3:40 pm

yoni wrote:But I got to admit, the photo that really got me is the one with Kim. Wow. I was blown away. How can you concentrate on teaching her?
:)

Yoni

Its a hard job, but some one has to do it! :D :cool:
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby CongaTick » Sat Jul 09, 2005 2:48 pm

Gemma started this thread---oh, it seems so long ago-- "what happens to you while drumming"-- Well, mostly great stuff-- but sometimes you get a wakeup.

Am a gringo 62 year old playing 3 drum setup for years, mostly pop music accompaniment for accoustic rock, blues, soul, funk and keeping time and having fun playing with a variety of bands. No lessons. Self taught, Managed to work up a good tumbao and slew of handy variations. But my heart and soul lived secretly in the traditional latin styles. Latin CD collection by the dozens, and played to them well enough that whatever I managed to play was in synch and worked. Finally, last week a chance to begin a working jam with a forming Tejano group. Their percussionist (Timbales/Congas) looking for conguero to take over the skins so he could play timbales and vocalize. Chucho was his name. Young guy who knew his shit. Cumbias, Merengues, Boleros, Salsa they played and his slaps and strokes were crisp and right on. Self taught from the age of 18. Now 30. He was very patient/kind and giving to me during our two sessions, though he spoke little English and I little Spanish. Worked on my slaps. Tried hard to teach me Cumbia, Merengue. I felt like a clumsy 4 year old, my playing feeling pathetic and falling far short (in my mind) of what was needed/expected. Chucho persists in his patience and willingness to teach, and though I was humble about my experience and what I knew-- I walked away knowing I was and have been a good faker pretty much most of my musical life. This, despite the fact that most gringos who hear me, love what I do. Counts less than the real deal. They want me to come back and work with them on Tuesday rehearsals, and frankly I'm a bit scared, embarassed a lot, and feeling like an inadeqaute shit for the most part. But I cannot deny Chucho's sincerity and helpfulness, his lack of ego, his willingness to share. I just don't know if I have what it takes to be a decent student, face up to my failures, rise above them, and be equal to the task. So---amongst the high life of all the wonderful gigging reports worldwide-- I've placed a bit of a personal bummer. But I guess, this is also what Gemma had in mind when she started the thread. Many thanks for the opportunities this forum has presented to me and people like me. I'm gonna have to work this out.
CongaTick

Postby windhorse » Sat Jul 09, 2005 10:29 pm

CongaTick wrote:Am a gringo 62 year old playing 3 drum setup for years,
- Snip -
They want me to come back and work with them on Tuesday rehearsals, and frankly I'm a bit scared, embarassed a lot, and feeling like an inadeqaute shit for the most part. But I cannot deny Chucho's sincerity and helpfulness, his lack of ego, his willingness to share. I just don't know if I have what it takes to be a decent student, face up to my failures, rise above them, and be equal to the task.

So, either you're an old dog learning new tricks, or just an old dog.. :;):

I'm not a spring chicken either,, just found out that my technique from the hands were OK, but my sitting posture was slowly tightening my neck and shoulders to a pathological extent..
So, the way I sit, walk, drive, and do most everything has to change..
That's asking a lot,, but so far - one day,, I've been equal to the task! One small step at a time..

Sure hope you do it!!
Be nice to yourself,, but don't give up either!!!
All the best!!!!

Dave
windhorse

Postby loopi » Sun Jul 10, 2005 2:05 am

Hey CongaTick
Congratulations on the bursting of your bubble and the opportunity that has been presented to you.
I am a 42 yr old gringo living in a bit of a conguero wasteland full of pretenders. For me first is importance of being honest with where u r at not what u can and cannot do. If you aren't then when you are busted there is the pain and the humbling and the choice to be a man and face the task at hand (of which you have been given a fantastic oppotunity) and make the effort to at least try to put in the "blood sweat tears" that is the apprentiship to integrity and makes you worthy of whatever you choose to do in your life. You love the music, you work at it, you can do it, gotta at least give it your best shot first, keep it honest, keep talking it ......................... thanks for your post CongaTick ......... wish you well with the challenges presented ............. keep us posted,

Loopi

Edited By loopi on 1120961267
loopi

Postby ABAKUA » Sun Jul 10, 2005 4:47 am

living in a bit of a conguero wasteland full of pretenders

How sad to hear that Brisbane is like that Loopi.

Move to Sydney! No room for pretenders, bullshit runs the marathon as they say. Here, you either cut it or you dont. Pretenders and shit talkers are not tolerated by the growing new generation of musicians taking things another step forward. Begginers are encouraged and developed.

-----------------

Congatick,

Great to hear you are getting yourself involved! No guts No glory!

Persevere with it, if it was easy, everyone would be doing it! Like anything, it takes time, practice and dedication to overcome any obstacle and reach your destiny on the path of the drum.
Set your goal and keep your mind and heart focussed on the job ahead, in time should you persevere, you will exceed all that which you set your self. Your friend Chucho sounds like a person full of humilty. I respect that greatly in a conguero.
I sincerely hope you stick with it.

Edited By ABAKUA on 1120998934
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby untaltumbador » Sun Jul 10, 2005 5:22 am

Congatick

I am right behind you at 57, that is. So you are not sure eh? Dude, if they want you back it is because you got something they like, never mind what you know or don't. It's all good. I understand, somewhat, your fears but that's all they are. If I was in your place, I'll be wearing a pair of dark shades, sport a big smile and just lay back and play along. Comprende.

Pretenders, fakes... what in the World is that?

Let us know how it goes...

Thank you

:) :) :) :) :)
Tumba Tumbador, Tumba
untaltumbador

Postby CongaTick » Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:15 pm

I shoulda known you guys would deliver an encouraging (and deserved) kick in the ass to help me get over this hump and move onward. Thanks for bein' there. I'll let you know how it goes.
CongaTick

Postby GuruPimpi » Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:38 pm

After a long time, i give my participation to this diary, thread...

Yesterday I played on what organizers of the event say that is the biggest summer music festival. I played with a two bands in a roll. The first was the funk band and we are playing covers of James Brown, Stevie Wonder, Tower of Power and the other is a modern rock'n roll band with their own compositions.

The concerts were very good, but so much things happened before and after, that I'll just say, thanks god, that I have put conga savers on the lugs, cause Quinto fell from my shoulders (in conga bag) down the stairs and has none scratch, just rubber (conga saver) had a bit, shell is fine, rim is fine... hoooo :D

I was very nrvous, before I opened te bag...

Anyway, see all of you are making a lot of gigs, me to, also the job is killing me, i'm really re-thinking the situation in future about that.

Many times feel like CongaTick, like people are more impressed with my playing than myself, and seeing other musicians (like last week Maceo Parker, Erik Truffaz and Vernon Reid with their projects on concert) who are dedicated just and only to music, going world wide...

CongaTick, If it grooves, it grooves, simple or sophisticated, basic is groove and it's one of the most sophisticated things in music. You got it, considering some facts you mentioned.

Sunday, tired, a bit muscle ache, I must do some discipline work to my posture too... Manic monday ahead, crazy bosses on my neck... that's life sometimes...

Dear diary, over and out, nice to have you here...

Primozz
GuruPimpi

Postby yoni » Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:02 am

Hi all,

I'm glad for this thread, too, where we can discuss things apart from just technical stuff.

CongaTick, sounds like you're doing great. Like you, I also had no formal training, a lesson or three here and there way back, the rest by picking up from sounds and people around me. I LOVE merengue and played it with groups in NYC and in the Caribbean, but again without many specific pointers. What you don't pick up from Chucho, you may pick up by playing along with merengue on discs or radio - there are several styles of it and maybe more come into being all the time. Playing along with music you like on CD or radio is good practice. Radio can be good to keep one on their toes - we don't know what's coming next.

Like Untaltumbador said, if they want you it's because you've got something special to offer. Don't down yourself, you probably sound great! Often it seems that the best players are also sensitive people. Take advantage of sensitivity's positive side - enjoy - I'm sure it comes through in your playing!

All the best,
Yoni
yoni

Postby CongaTick » Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:19 pm

Yoni and the rest of you guys,

Thanks for the brotherhood. Your words mean a lot to me, and will fortify my faith in the journey I started so long ago.
CongaTick

Postby CongaTick » Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:09 pm

Okay, so back to practice with the latin startup band after they called a 2 week hiatus, two weeks in which i practiced cumbias and merengues diligently, immersing myself daily in the compiled cover disc they supplied me. They went out of their way afterwards to compliment me. And I had to acknowledge I felt more in control. Will I earn a solid seat with them? Who knows, but for now I'm learning, expanding my drummer's journey, and forever grateful to the forummers who booted my skinny, old ass over the hump I'd created.
CongaTick

Postby yoni » Sat Aug 06, 2005 6:31 pm

Hi all,

Just got back from Czech Republic a couple days ago, second time there this summer. An amazing time was had by all.

I played a festival of Gypsy music, in the hills of eastern Bohemia, on the beautiful grounds of an ancient castle. It wasn't a real big festival, only a few hundred in attendance, but a one-of-a-kind gathering. There was a night of Gypsy popular, a night of Gypsy jazz and a night of traditional Gypsy music. Some great Gypsy bands from Czech and around Europe came.
I had the great honor of being the only non-Gypsy artist brought to perform there.

Well, I'm not so sure now, as my birth mother emails me that we likely have Gypsy genes in us anyway - there may have been some hanky-panky with great grandparents in Czech, and the Gypsy and Jew communities were quite close there. It still surprised me that about half the melodies the traditional groups played were ancient Jewish tunes, and their own renditions of them, often played around the speed of light.

One group was so insane I'll never forget them: The "Holub (dove) Ensemble" - a father, three sons and other young friends that played too wild to be true. They took the Django Reinhardt style and other styles to whole new dimensions, out into hyper-space. Kids, most of them, and I don't think I ever heard such incredible speed and chops on violin, up there with Amin, if not crazier. They looked right out of the 1930s, dark, mean and lean, slicked back black hair and dressed to kill in all black for the shows. These were poor, hard country folk and totally obsessed and possessed when it came to playing, which they did most of the days and nights. The two lead violinists, aged about 18 and 20, were downright scary, got some bizarre sounds out of their violins, besides general playing and orchestrations which seemed just about impossible. They also had two rhythm guitarists, an accordionist and an upright bassist - all super-virtuosos; the bassist was so rocking powerful and fast, and had such a big, thumping sound, no percussion was needed.

But in the mountain-valley hotel where we all stayed there were jam sessions into the wee hours - and these madmen had me flying right along, on hand drums and drum set. Was told later that some unforgettable stuff happened.

My show was with a group called "Apsora", the main group of the Gypsy jazz evening. Also monster players, they wouldn't let me stop soloing and made me the star of the evening. Got amazing feedback, was told I "electrified" the place... this almost really happened anyway, as the heavens let loose with a huge thunderstorm toward the end of the show.

The stage had a billowing fabric backdrop of a scene from India, the whole place was candle-lit, under huge old trees with the castle above, a scene right out of a movie.

A few of the groups were real funny, including one band of all very old guys - known for playing tunes of just one or two notes, but playing them faster than anyone else on earth - that was their thing. These guys were real hams, too.

Lots of Czech TV and press were there, some was recorded and I hope to hear it back some time.

Don't know when I'll get back there again, but one or two of these groups might come again to play in Israel, which would be great.
Now I'm settling back in, glad to be home in hot weather again. Gigs planned so far this week are one for mentally handicapped kids' schoolgroups, and my steady gig in Haifa,
and I'll be going with a whole new inspiration.

All the best,
Yonatan

Edited By yoni on 1142326488
yoni

Postby JohnnyConga » Sat Aug 06, 2005 6:44 pm

Hi Yoni...what an incredible time you had....I can see that the music outside of America is progressing into a more "World Fusion" sound and approach, mixing Gypsy with Jazz and local "folklore", to me here in the U.S. the music has become very stagnant and redundant....there is so much music going on all over the world that we here are not xposed to, and I wish we were....few stations play this type of music....fortunatly KBCS where I Host my own radio show, has a very eclectic mix of music in their programming, and you will hear music from abroad....I just finished up a month of gigs here locally with TYPE A-www.typeaband.com and will be back on air again starting today......online at http://www.kbcs.fm 91.3fm 'AL LADO LATINO' at 6pm PST(Pacific Standard Time)..."JC" Johnny Conga....
JohnnyConga

PreviousNext

Return to Open Discussion