"The Drummer's Diary" - share w. us what happens to you drumming

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Postby yoni » Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:47 pm

Thanks Johnny!

Your radio show and the station you're on sound great - I'm sure you're giving the Seattle listeners and beyond plenty to heat up and open their ears! If I had a computer I would definitely tune in - the one I post from doesn't even have speakers !#%^*#!

I WILL get around to ordering some of your CDs soon as I can. All the best to you!

Yoni
yoni

Postby windhorse » Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:30 am

4/4
:BTTBTTBTTBTT:BTTBTTBTTBTT:
:RRLRRLRRLRLR:LLRLLRLLRLRL:

6/8
:OBTSBT:OBTSBT:
RLLRLL:RLLRLL

Edited By windhorse on 1123965930
windhorse

Postby tamboricua » Sat Aug 13, 2005 5:18 pm

windhorse wrote:4/4
:BTTBTTBTTBTT:BTTBTTBTTBTT:
:RRLRRLRRRLR:LLRLLRLLRLRL:

6/8
:OBTSBT:OBTSBTO:
RLLRLL:RLLRLL

Hi Windhorse,

Are this Spiro technique exersices? I do recognize the 4/4 one.

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby windhorse » Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:46 pm

Yes they are!
I made some minor mistakes there,, so went back and modified it..

I'm loving them!

Dave
windhorse

Postby tamboricua » Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:18 pm

windhorse wrote:Yes they are!
I made some minor mistakes there,, so went back and modified it..

I'm loving them!

Dave

Cool!

Do you have more?

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby windhorse » Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:14 pm

Well, you know how whatever your latest rhythm you're trying to get set into your vocabulary becomes your main exercise?
This one's from last year with Chris Walker. It's a lead ride to Agbe played on the lowest drum.
I find it very esoteric and very cool to play with Bembe too.
The left hand bass/touches are fillers, so should not be heard.
And the second bass on the bombo is accented, so lift the drum there.

:BTBBST:BTBBTS:
:LLRLRL:LLRLLR:
windhorse

Postby windhorse » Sat Sep 10, 2005 4:37 pm

Last night one of my drumming buddies Mark came over to hang out, play a drum or two, and have some dinner. He played the two high drums to Bembe while I messed around with the lead drum. I'm being greatly influenced by listening to Francisco Aguebella's Cantos A Los Orishas CD. As well as stuff I've got recorded from last year's Afro-Cuban camp. His trademark is to play sparse thick tone rolls at really interesting spots. Like right off of the Bombo note (second note of clave). Also my friend Dusty (who I've learned countless hints and great licks from) likes to play right from the bombo as well..
So, I've been working on the Agbe lead which sort of rolls with light touches right through the "one" and you hit a giant bass note right on the bombo. Then some really killer kicking slaps just before the downbeats leading up to the "one".
Anyway, I've been discovering some spots where really thick tone rolls can can fit starting on the bombo (where you'd normally hit a big bass) and between the last kicker slap just before the "one".
It was WAY fricken cool! Reminiscent of Aguebella's stuff!
I'm going to try this lead when we play Bembe more often!

We also were fitting a two drum Guarapachangueo on the lowest, and a two drum Guaguanco on the highest right together.
When you get them fitting perfectly, it'll certainly bring a smile to your face! The third bass of the Guarapachangueo coincides with the first tone of the Guaguanco, and the first tone of the Salidor of Guarapach fits nicely where the Guaguanco leaves out, then the second tone of the Salidor hits right on the Guaguanco bombo note. Then, there's a nice kicker slap leading into the three bass roll of the Segundo of Guarapach that pulls the rhythms apart with interesting tension. Even without clave, the two rhythms together sound really full..

OK,, gotta get down to work today!
All the best everyone!

Love,
Dave
windhorse

Postby windhorse » Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:24 am

Tuesday night this week we had a visiting percussionist from Philly. Name's Johnny. He sat down and joined us after our first song, and we played Yambu. Eric showed him his part, and you could tell right away he was a player from long time.. His technique was WAY relaxed.. Really soft hands. After he was showed the part, he settled in really nice, and we were as solid as ever. He complimented me on my quinto and that made me feel good. :laugh:

Then, we played a Mozambique and he picked up the bongos. His lead was fricken tremendous! Then, I complimented him! Jeeze that was really inspirational!

He's apparently going to move here for good when he comes back next month.

Just continuing the monologue here.. :;):
windhorse

Postby ABAKUA » Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:40 am

Just got home, Im excited so I thought I share...

I landed the recording gig with PEPSI thanks to the rapper/singer in my band, they (PEPSI) are going to market a new product in Australia, I went into the recording studio today, the rapper/singer in my band did all raps/lyrics/coros etc all in Spanish, its in hop hop form with elements of funk and timba, all original,, I laid the percussion, in one section I recorded a 2 bar section of rumba guaguanco with all 3 parts on the 3 drums, then in a later section of 3 loops of verse/coro I laid down a busy timba form of tumbao with 2 congas and some cascara.
We were happy with the end result, we were fortunate to get alot of creative input and freedom of expression with what we were doing, though they did request particular feels etc..

We did a 3 min 30 sec. version of the original 30 sec clip for TV commercials.
Within approx a week or so it should be released through PEPSI's marketing campaign, I will post it up once available.

Exciting stuff! :D
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby windhorse » Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:21 pm

Very nice Abakua!
Will the commercials air over here in continental US?
If not, maybe you'll get a copy of it and could post a clip..
Though I know what a pain it is to spend time computerizing clips..

Dave
windhorse

Postby ABAKUA » Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:24 pm

Hi Dave,

Thanks dude, felt great dealing with such professional people.
The recording is world class, as you could imagine given its a PEPSI commercial... I think they are going to trial market response in Australia, then take it from there, hopefully within the week it should all be mastered, edited and mixed and ready to hear/see on TV here and online.

As soon as I am made aware that its available/released and allowed to be aired, I will post it up. :) Shouldnt be more than a week.

Edited By ABAKUA on 1131024357
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby Charangaman » Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:10 pm

Nice work if you can get it, well earned ABAKUA.. Spread the word to a mass audience!
Can't drink the stuff myself.. Look forward to seeing the clip..

Respect..
Charangaman

Postby onile » Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:34 pm

"one time, at band camp....." :laugh:
Yo! Brotha Abakua!
Congratulations mi pana! You deserve a break today.....oh wait, that's McDonald's isn't it?:laugh:

¡Felicitaciones mi pana por un trabajo bien hecho!:cool:

Definitely let us know when it gets airplay, so we can enjoy our brother up there on the screen, or at least his chops!

Suave!
Onile!
Que Nsambi les acutare pa' siempre!
onile

Postby GuruPimpi » Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:05 pm

Abakua!

I also kind of a don't drink the sodas and stuff, but anyway...

SMOKIN'!!!
would mask of Jim Carey said! :D

Congratulations!
Hope to see it, HEAR IT soon!!!

Primozz
GuruPimpi

Postby Diceman » Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:31 pm

Nice one brother, hopefully it will open the masses ears to latin grooves and instruments. Good for us all.

Diceman
Diceman

PreviousNext

Return to Open Discussion