"The Drummer's Diary" - share w. us what happens to you drumming

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Postby pavloconga » Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:08 am

Hey guys,
Some local bros and I have formed a Brasilian samba ensemble working with a group of gorgeous dancers from Brasilian Dance Company here in South Australia. It's a lot of fun and we play many venues and events, Latin nights, private parties, christmas shows etc. Here's some pics from a recent gig:

Edited By pavloconga on 1165284527

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... tucada.jpg
pavloconga

Postby pavloconga » Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:10 am

Silvi , Rafael, and Melissa

Edited By pavloconga on 1165281065

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... brazil.jpg
pavloconga

Postby pavloconga » Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:18 am

Here's a compilation:
cheers!
Pavlo

most photos by Latin Grooves

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... brasil.jpg
pavloconga

Postby ABAKUA » Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:47 am

Hey I can see Delman in one of those pics, also, are they 'Las Chicas Bomba' from over there is South Australia?
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby pavloconga » Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:20 pm

Hi Abakua,
That surely is Delman! I'm just visible at the end of the line of percussionists wearing dark blue and red.
The dancers are from 'Brasilian Dance Company' which is a different troupe to Las Chicas Bombas. It's been great fun, good people to work with and hang with after the show too!
cheers
P
pavloconga

Postby windhorse » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:38 pm

Hi guys, I resorrected this old thread (The last post was over a year ago!) since it's a good place to log stuff that's happening to you that maybe has no reason to be shared other than just sharing of the good times. :D

So, just last week, my friend from OK who is a monster player and good teacher of polyrhythms left for his home. He was here for several weeks. He was teaching a drum and song class to one of our local elementary schools. For two nights he played three of my congas for the group Tea leaf Green. The biggest thing I learned during those weeks was the tumba part to Abakua - and an exercise for learning it. You play the 6/8 clave with your left hand, and the tumba part with the right. I totally got it after focusing for a week or two. It's so wierd to play upbeats with the lowest drum.. Crazy stuff!

Saturday, I played for Neri's Afro-Cuban Dance class and got schooled once again.. :O
She said, "let's have something in 6/8 for a warm up!"
So, we start into a nice slow Bembe, and she shouts out, "Let's have it way faster since it's cold in here, and we need to warm up!", So, we crank it up to a furious speed, and I am just barely hanging on with my Bell part for a few minutes... Then, I find this nice warm place of relaxing into it while the rhythm sped by at blazing speeds! It was really good for me, since I hardly ever push the bell any more.. These days, I'm always working on singing with it, so that limits the speed.
We also played a Makuta, where again I got schooled on playing Cinquillo on the bell.. How in the world do you guys pull that off with one hand!?!? Jeeze!
I had to cheat big time, by holding the bell facing up between my knees, and playing with both hands on both sides of the bell.. Again, after a bit of struggle, I was able to relax into it..
At the end of the class, she wanted Yambu,, but not with the Yambu clave we always use, but the Son Clave - (she calls it 3-2) You count 1-2-3, then 1-2.. :p
I haven't played Son clave in over a year, and suddenly I have to rip it out with nice mellow familiarity.. :;):
Yeah, right! It's all good though..

Then, yesterday a bunch of us went to Dave's place in Rawlinsville.. We had a really fun Rumba with just the core group,, Dave, Larry, Dusty, Rapa, and myself. The most memorable part for me was when we played Illesa. We used three lead instruments and a shaker and bells on a bell tree. Have you ever imagined what would happen if you played an Iya, bongo, and Conga all three at the same time???
Well let me tell you,, it's AMAZING! Dave played the low part on the Iya,, and played it like a lead instrument,, I played the lead part to Illesa on Segundo, and Rapa played a recently inspired by trip to Cuba Bongo lead.. So we played Illesa with all of us trading leads!! Whoof! I really want to do that again sometime!

Towards the end of the session, Dave mentioned we have another gig Feb. 4th, and it's to play for our local Boulder TV station... That's sure to be fun!
I'm going to try to get the guys to dress up, shower, and shave for once - though I'm sure we might really turn on some people with our famous homeless drum group look.. :cool:

Edited By windhorse on 1200937347

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... iddrum.jpg
windhorse

Re:

Postby ABAKUA » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:05 am

I been very busy working with a funk/afrocuban jazz outfit here, also been asked to be the conguero for this band being formed consisting of the highest calibre musicians in this field. We have our debut this Sat night at The Basement, Sydney's home of live music, its a famous jazz bar where the greatest in the world have performed there, Ive had the pleasure of supporting Arturo Sandoval + band there as well as Cubanismo, had lessons with Anga there, Dizzy G has performed there and I could go on and on, its an honour to perform there let alone be a regular, so as you can see Im pumped for this gig!
Here is the flyer:

ABAKUA
Site Admin

Re:

Postby windhorse » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:22 pm

That's awesome Abakua!
Thanks for sharing!!
:)
windhorse

Re:

Postby YorubaSon » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:29 am

I bought the BOSS DR-880 a few days ago.
It's like I have the best drummer and bass player in the world to jam with 24/7.
This thing is freakin' amazing in every way, you have to hear it to believe it.
It will also store 500 of your songs. You can edit the drums, percussion, bass and chords in a flash.

YorubaSon

Re:

Postby Light Seeker » Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:24 am

YorubaSon, are you aware of this?
Light Seeker

Re:

Postby YorubaSon » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:29 am

I wasn't aware of it but after reading it appears that is an issue from 2004-2007.
I recently purchased mine new and it has the patches and updates.

This thing is a great practicing tool and real fun.
YorubaSon

Re:

Postby bongosnotbombs » Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:58 pm

I'm gonna agree with the drum machine as a great practice aid.
I have one wooked up to a 100 watt amp.

The Boss looks really cool. Mine is an old Alessis SR-16 I got it for $60.

The Alessis doesn't really compare to the Boss, but it does everything I need.
I use it for folkloris stuff, claves, bells, etc....
That Boss has got be fun.
bongosnotbombs

Camp Kosmos Summer 08

Postby windhorse » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:40 am

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.ListAll&friendID=162378705
A link to my blog. This year's trip to Kosmos camp was a good one! A bunch of learning,, good hard lessons,, and some less serious ones..
Several new friends, and many old ones.. Great food, and about 2600 miles on the long road - three drums in the back seat, and camping gear in the trunk.
windhorse

Re:

Postby Light Seeker » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:49 am

Wow! I read all of those. Sounds very good, Dave. You do this every summer?
Light Seeker

Postby windhorse » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:20 am

Yes, I'm a teacher, so this is what I do every summer - travel to the coast. This year I'm doing it twice! Except I'm flying in July to Humboldt.
I'll add my pics from the trip..
aldercmpgrnd.jpg
Alderwood campground at the top of the Sierra's
aldercmpgrnd.jpg (92.33 KiB) Viewed 5431 times
Attachments
aldercmpgrnd2.jpg
cooking breakfast
aldercmpgrnd2.jpg (82.44 KiB) Viewed 5423 times
bellyd.jpg
Most of the campers at Kosmos are BellyDancers!
bellyd.jpg (63.77 KiB) Viewed 5423 times
windhorse

PreviousNext

Return to Open Discussion