"The Drummer's Diary" - share w. us what happens to you drumming

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Palo!

Postby windhorse » Sun May 22, 2016 2:09 pm

Last night was invited to play at a friend's Palo. His Padrino carries a lineage from Cuba and is super nice. He was smiling and welcoming. He had seen our group in a video that Dave showed him a few years back and was impressed enough that he welcomed us to play the Palo how we play it. He played bell and sang a lead. There were four guys that could hold a good coro to back him up, and Mike played most the lead while I played mostly high drum, and André played mostly mid drum. Mike broke two sticks playing lead, and definitely put some fire into it! Later, I tried my hand at lead and didn't crash the Palo, but I was luke warm at best. We finished off with a rumba that felt pretty good! This was an interesting scenario where I thought we were just going to be part of the coro and extras in the crowd. I thought they'd have their usual heavy hitters from Orlando, so expected to be amazed by the real deal players. But no! You're up! and let's hear what you've got! :oops:
A bunch of folks said thanks,, but best of all was the Padrino's sincere gratitude... Glad I went! And now I'm motivated to learn some better Palo leads.. If anyone has suggestions, bring 'em on!
windhorse

Re:

Postby windhorse » Sat May 06, 2017 5:04 pm

Last night all the guys were standing outside in the parking lot, talking during a break in play, and this couple walks by. We talk, and turns out the guy is from Cuba. So we invited him in and turns out he knows some of the best players in town. So, we played a few things and he liked us. He's primarily a dancer, and is interested in collaborating on a dance, drum, song community space. Hope it happens! :wink:
windhorse

Previous

Return to Open Discussion