"The Drummer's Diary" - share w. us what happens to you drumming

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Re:

Postby GuruPimpi » Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:59 pm

Hello guys!

Just dropped in to wish all of you merry christmas and the rest of the holliday well. I feel the need to write down a diary of my musical journey, cause last month has been real nice in my musical part of life. I've had a few concerts with two different choirs (both are mixed, male and female) and with both I've had a concerts in a church; christmas songs. It's been a first time for me to perform in a church and waw, I really liked the sound there. I used cajon, cymbal and bongos.
We have played African Noel (african traditional) and christmas opus from argentinian composer Ariel Ramirez: Navidad Nuestra. The leader of the choirs is the same person, really nice guy, schooled singer, has a perfect hearing and sings in the opera too, so he knows his job well and what is most important, he is really musical. He helped me a lot and tought me some new stuff about playing with a choir and I even got motivated to read notes better. I'm at home now, after a concert and feeling blessed and can't wait to have another two concerts in January.

Has anyone played Navidad Nuestra with a choir too?

I wish you all merry christmas and hollidays full of love and great feelings of one with everyone and everything!

Primoz . PimpS
GuruPimpi

Re: Re:

Postby windhorse » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:21 pm

GuruPimpi wrote:Has anyone played Navidad Nuestra with a choir too?

I wish you all merry christmas and hollidays full of love and great feelings of one with everyone and everything!

Hi Primoz,
I looked on a youtube vid to see this song. Do you do a basic martillo on the bongo?
How do you incorporate the cajon?

Anyone else get any cool Christmas gifts? All I got were shirts.. :oops:

Feliz Año Nuevo!
windhorse

Re:

Postby GuruPimpi » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:01 pm

Hello Windhorse!

I didn't incorporated martillo since Navidad Nuestra consists of 6 songs (La Anunciaon, ?, El Nacimiento, Los Pastores, La Magos de reyes, La Huida, i forgot the name of second...). The notes and parts for percussion for this songs are written in some songs too easy and in some songs i had to much trouble, cause I don't read well and keeping the time with choir is hard thing (for me as not very experienced musician for playing with choirs and also for all choir members not used to have someone else beside the choir leader to look and listen too).

For example in 1st song I played as written (6/8 rhythm with bongos, which was changed to bass of cajon (hembra) and cabassa (macho) when girls sang - choir leader's idea).

The rest of the songs are mainly in 6/8, 3/4 and 2/4 rhythm.
In friday I had second concert with them and it was much better, less tensed, more relaxed and feeling good playing it.
GuruPimpi

Re:

Postby bongosnotbombs » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:12 am

The other day I was hanging out at the water front playing rumba with the crew in the sun. Cheptio Areas, the former timbalero for Santana was hanging out with us as he does sometimes. So I took a turn playing a Rumba Columbia with variations on two drums, and later on started improvising around a tumbao base with Chepito playing my JCR bell for both. So when I finish up, he looks me in the eye and says to me "You're a good player"! I guess if a R & R Hall of Fame inductee wants to give me a compliment and tell me I'm a good player, who am I to argue? Really, it wasn't so long ago that people were telling me the opposite! Anyways, he invited me to his birthday party this summer! I'm totally looking forwards to it.
Attachments
Chepito-Areas.jpg
bongosnotbombs

Re:

Postby windhorse » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:21 am

Nice Picture Geordie!
And you're a fine player! Anybody who says different can stuff it! Chepito knows what's up!
windhorse

Rumba Low Drum Variation

Postby windhorse » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:51 pm

Occasionally, I'll actually revisit my notes.
I got this really cool Tumba variation concept from Chris Walker a few years ago. It's the initiation of a roll or variation on the muffled tone - the "a" just before the big 4. Beginning a statement there leads the player back into the same spot for the perfect syncing back into the original pattern.. I love it as an alternative to the usual statements that begin on the big 1.
As always, this shouldn't be done more than once or twice in a Rumba since playing big fat rolls on the lowest note REALLY stand out.

Tumba Regular Pattern:
B-TB-TO-B-TMBTO-
Handing:
L-LR-LR-L-LRLLR-

Tone Pattern Starting on Muff, and back into regular pattern on the Muff:
B-TB-TO-B-TO-O-O
L-LR-LR-L-LR-L-R
-O-BO-O-B-TO-O-O
-L-RL-R-L-LR-L-R
-O-BO-O-B-TMBTO-
-L-RL-R-L-LRLLR-
windhorse

School's out fo Summah!! Dudududum....

Postby windhorse » Thu May 26, 2011 12:45 pm

Can't wait!! School's almost out! This is the last day with kids, and tomorrow's clean up and shut down for the summer day... Then, we've got a little gig at the PI in Nederland June 19th, and then it's the big road trip to the West Coast and Humboldt bound!
Can't wait to see all the old friends,, and maybe meet some more of you guys! :shock:
windhorse

Re:

Postby willie55 » Thu May 26, 2011 1:37 pm

BongoWillie's Drum Tent will be in full swing this weekend, May 27 28 29. in Little Rock, Arkansas, got 5 bass drums 4 snare drums, 20 toms, 2 tri toms, 1 timbales, this is for RIVERFEST FESTIVAL, last year 285,000 went thru the gates for this 3 day music and eating festival, i will be in the KIDS ZONE where every kid and parent will stop by and play the drums.. 21 total hours, no help this year..a truly DRUMALICIOUS DRUMTASTIC BOOMBASTIC 6-ALIEVE-DAY..WILL HAVE VIDEO OF ALL 3 DAYS POSTED ON YOU TUBE AND ON MY FACEBOOK PAGE..BONGOWILLIE DRUM TENT..ON MONDAY..
willie55

Re:

Postby windhorse » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:20 pm

Our band played last Sunday. All the hitters showed, but it was rainy and cold, so not well attended.
Next gig is at the Pioneer Inn In Nederland Sunday Aug. 7th 3:00-6:00PM.

Last night! OMG a RIPPING band Maraca from Cuba at Boulder Theater!! Whoof! 5 brass, four lead singers, one played timbales, another guiro, the conguero also sang, drum set player smoking with loads of swing, keyboard, & bass!
Our local Salsa dance group got out there w' a performance at one point that rocked! Hillary, the lady responsible for getting them from cuba was grinning ear to ear the whole night,,, took loads of photos, and danced with vigor to our rumba in front of theater before the show!
it was awesome, and loud!

Joe and few other guys came up from Denver, Kellie, Ritz, André, and I from Boulder played a rumba before the show and at one point there were about 8 or 10 dancers on the sidewalk in front of us! Joe was off-the-hook on quinto and flute! A fun Rumba!
windhorse

This year's Humboldt camp Peak Experience!

Postby windhorse » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:28 am

Tonight I went to a party with live music; Sandy Perez, Jesus Diaz, Miguel Bernal, Roman Diaz, John Santos playing rumba with Lazaro Gallaraga the singer.. It was the single most amazing musical experience of my life.. And the best one before it was last night's party at the beach! So much thanks and gratitude for the Humboldt Afrocuban Dance Drum and song camp!
windhorse

Re:

Postby niallgregory » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:01 pm

Hi Folks , just wanted to spread some of my joy at getting a deal with Toca percussion . Happy out with the beautiful package of drums i got in the post , 3 congas and a set of bongo . This goes great with the sabian deal i got this year also... All is good in the world for me right now :D YIPEEEEEEEEEEEEE 8)
niall gregory
niallgregory

Re:

Postby Dicemanb » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:39 pm

Congatulations Niall,

Have fun with them

Dice
Dicemanb

6-8 4 drum doubles exercise

Postby windhorse » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:40 pm

Here's a 6-8 4 drum exercise I just made up last night during a long brainstorming practice. If anyone's practicing movement and doubles with multiple drums, you might like this one. It's sort of a tumbao.
RRLRLR
LLRLRL (paradiddlediddle, paradiddlediddle)
Attachments
6-8exc.jpg
6-8 4drum exercise
Last edited by windhorse on Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
windhorse

rudiments...

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:19 pm

Here's one for ya

RLLRLR LRR LRL RLLR LRRL
JohnnyConga

"What Just Happened?!?"

Postby windhorse » Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:34 pm

Around Monday or Tuesday, I was contacted via Facebook by an FB friend of several of my contacts through Humboldt Afro-Cuban program that I visit every year. He wanted to know what sort of Afro-Cuban meet-ups we have around here since he’d be visiting in Denver for a week. Also, he wanted whatever contacts I had in Denver, so I shared what I could. He contacted Jeff and Mike, and came to Boulder last night to join our Friday jam. What a gift! He ended up being an initiate steeped in tradition. He’s a History teacher, Daniel, from Chicago. He knew hundreds of songs and could play his parts while coaxing people to play their parts correctly, all while teaching us songs. We started with LaTopa and moved into a bata rumba, first Llongo, then Chacha. We got schooled big-time and played harder than ever! Our arms were sore and we had to rotate parts just to keep up. We did Bembes, Rumbas, an Iyesa, and a Guiro. Later in the evening we were playing a Palo with Daniel on caja and leading some Palo songs, when some guys hanging outside the window and smoking a cigar walked around, waiting for us to end. They knocked on the door, and this really deeply rooted Palo elder stepped into the room smoking his cigar, waving his arms around, and led us in a long guttural and aggressive benediction. It was really deep and full of vigor as he was super inspired by what we had been doing, and maybe by the fact that anyone in this area would be playing his kind of music. So we launched into another Palo and did a bunch more songs, with his two initiates filling a bunch of coro! Whoof! When those guys left, we just looked at each other like “What just happened?” OMG What a night!!
windhorse

PreviousNext

Return to Open Discussion