"The Drummer's Diary" - share w. us what happens to you drumming

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Re:

Postby CongaTick » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:12 pm

You're killin' me here, bro.
CongaTick

Re:

Postby CongaTick » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:16 pm

Title of this thread: "The Drummer's Diary" - share w. us what happens to you drumming.

I assure you, ladies like this never "happen" to me while drumming.
CongaTick

Re:

Postby ABAKUA » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:41 pm

I gather you liked the extra pics. :lol: I have heaps more I could post up, but now we getting away from drumming and onto a whole other kind of 'tapping' away. :mrgreen:

"happen" I like that. 8) Come down this way, I'll hook you up some gigs. :twisted:
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Re:

Postby niallgregory » Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:32 pm

heres some drum related photos with an added extra :D jees i dont post much anymore but i just realised i have been on this forum since 2001 :shock:
Attachments
cachimbo live 3.jpg
Last edited by niallgregory on Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
niall gregory
niallgregory

Re:

Postby niallgregory » Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:36 pm

This is my group CACHIMBO playing at a chocolate festival in Dublin last summer .We were accompanied by a wonderful dancer Kelli from sao paulo Brazil .
Attachments
cachimbo live 5 jpg.jpg
niall gregory
niallgregory

Re:

Postby windhorse » Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:24 pm

Nialgregory, Cachimbo looks like loads of fun! That surdu is gigantic!! It must rumble the houses!
Here's our Mozambique from April 11th, how does it sound?
http://mrcrowder.us/cong/BambocheMozambiqueApril11.mp3
I'm playing the shekere, and I try to make it sound like a ganza. It's a technique I just worked out so that I could keep it up through an entire song. Definitely wasn't easy, and I'm very proud of myself, as well as the rest of the guys.. Scott's obviously an accomplished quinto player, Thom is a wicked bell player, and Dave is a force of nature on anything he does, in this case the bomba.

We've been going through changes and lots of learning as usual. Just had our two gigs of the year and Jeff went back to Oaklahoma, Rapa went back to Georgia, the guys in the hills are all snowed in and noone can leave the house except by snow shoes or skis.
So, yesterday at the Rumba Ritz, Dan, Larry, and Dave couldn't make it, but Eric, Scott, myself, and a new guy - Reed were there for a quick little session and sharing of discs.
Reed's awesome! He's a kid that just graduated from the school of music in Wisconsin. Turns out he knows Mike who came to the Humboldt Afro-Cuban Workshops last year! So, he's another one of Mike Spiro's minions. They're everywhere! Mike spent a fair amount of time with their percussion program, so three of them came to Humboldt last year just because of Mike's influence on their college. And another crazy coincidence is that Thom, the batalero in our group is also a student of Mike's. So, Reed actually knows him because of a program that Thom ran for his percussion students in Denver where Mike came in as a visiting expert, and he sat in!
He played a kachimbo on bembe, the clave on a guaguanco, and segundo on a Palo all completely unflinching and steady! Man you gotta love people like that who can step right in and play! We are way psyched to have him around now!
I just got off the phone a few days ago with Mario and he was saying my drums are close to finished,, so I'll give another month before they're really ready... :D I read between the lines.. and I know it's worth the wait. But, I can't wait!
Just days ago I sent off the check for the Humboldt Workshops! Woohoo! That's always a big highlight of the year for me. Thom's going. James and Geordie, you guys are going, right? Lisa? Congamyk? Still thinking about it?
windhorse

Re:

Postby Congadelica » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:16 pm

Hey Dave .
That Mozambique has some swing Bro . I would have loved to hear the singers were they miked up? . great Shekere work too , you must have needed a beer after playing :D
Dito to that feeling of waiting for the Isla`s . your going to not want to leave them alone I promise , 8)

Marco
Last edited by Congadelica on Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Congadelica

Re:

Postby windhorse » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:09 pm

Thanks Marco! No beers that night. We were in a coffee shop. I didn't fully decompress until about a week later!
windhorse

Re:

Postby goingquinto » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:38 pm

great to hear Bamboche alive and kicking. I wish I had been there, sounds stronger than ever. I am still trying to get a good rumba going here in Asheville. It is starting to get going, even though most everyone here plays djembe/dundun stuff. Keep posting stuff :)
goingquinto

Re:

Postby windhorse » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:43 pm

Hey Dusty! Good to hear that you're alive and kicking as well!!
Here's our Guarapachangueo from that same night!

http://mrcrowder.us/cong/Guarapach4-11frmvid.mp3

I'm on the big box.
Why Scott chose to play the bell instead of Clave,, well I just don't know.. Ritz is on quinto, and Dave is on Tres Dos, Thom's playing the Iya on the upbeats of 3, Eric's on Tumba.
We miss you man!
windhorse

Re: Re:

Postby windhorse » Sat May 16, 2009 2:25 pm

Congadelica wrote:Hey Dave .
That Mozambique has some swing Bro . I would have loved to hear the singers were they miked up? . great Shekere work too , you must have needed a beer after playing :D
Dito to that feeling of waiting for the Isla`s . your going to not want to leave them alone I promise , 8)
Marco

Sorry Marco, we weren't mic'd very well. Only one mic on a low setting, not good acoustics in that place.
Here's another version, and I think the singing comes out clearer:
http://mrcrowder.us/cong/Mozambique4-11fromvidmp.mp3

It's from Eric's set-up placed a bit closer.

Still no word from Mario.. :|
windhorse

Re:

Postby ABAKUA » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:06 am

Im giggin tonight with a newly formed Timba/Salsa dura band, 8 piece. We are performing at the 3yr anniversary party of this venue which has been hosting 'Latin' nights on Tuesdays, with DJ's, live bands, dancer performances etc, always a full house. Great vibe & atmosphere, I'll post up some pics once the photographers put their pics online in the next few days.

Dance floor is always interesting...

Here are some pics from the venue past events..

Hmmmmmm summer is another 5 months away for us here.... You guys have got to spend a summer here....

Our beaches are very well patrolled & very safe.

Below: friend & local Latin DJ 'WillieSabor'
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Re:

Postby windhorse » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:29 pm

Some good TIGHT security on those beaches!
windhorse

Jeff Porter

Postby windhorse » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:23 pm

I just finished the first Podcast interview I'm planning on doing for the summer, with musical influences. It's with my friend Jeff Porter:

feed://mrcrowder.us/tinc?key=6onNYW9a
windhorse

Re:

Postby vinnieL » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:39 pm

Hey Marcelo how's the cost of living down under? I may have to move LOL
vinnieL

PreviousNext

Return to Open Discussion