"The Drummer's Diary" - share w. us what happens to you drumming

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Postby ABAKUA » Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:42 pm

One of the bands I play with is an auditorium type show called NOCHE CUBANA
It features an 8 piece band (similar to the line up which we supported CUBANISMO)
And features 8 dancers. We basically do the history of Cuban music, from the African slave period, through the Colonial period, and musical genres which followed, including cha cha cha, bolero, conga, mozambique, pilon, mambo, son, Palo, guaguanco, culumbia etc etc through to modern day cuban timba. It also includes an MC which narrates the stories and tales of legendary figures in cuban music in parts with the band. We are doing a national tour and to asia also possibly later in the year.
Our northern NSW/QLD leg of our tour kicks off 2moro morning we fly out of Sydney.

Im very excited to be travelling this beautiful country with a great group of friends and some of the best musicans in this country, along with some of the most talented dancers in the scene here.

I better head off to pack my bags now, wish me luck! When I get back, I will post up some more recent photos.

Here are 2 quick promotional shots that were done a few weeks back.. We had to sit there pretending to play for like 2 hours as the photographers went nuts with different angles and stuff. The following pics were taken by a friend of mine. These arent the actual promotional images though.
I will get more pics up when we return from this 2nd leg of our Australian/Asia tour.
(Im the one playing congas in the pics)

Edited By ABAKUA on 1112888332

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... PROMO1.JPG
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby ABAKUA » Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:43 pm

Here's another.. not the best pics, but you get the idea...

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... PROMO2.JPG
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby ABAKUA » Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:54 pm

Here are 2 promo pics of some of our upcoming gigs...

I will post the more up to date one with better pictures of the band/show.

Edited By ABAKUA on 1112888520
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby yoni » Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:58 pm

Nice pictures, Abakua! Johnny, wish I could get your radio show. Thanks, Pini, I will sure start getting to Tel Aviv more and we can meet up again.

Edited By yoni on 1112893330
yoni

Postby mco » Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:56 pm

Abakua,
Those Palladiums photograph well!

mco
mco

Postby GuruPimpi » Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:17 pm

Abakua!

You're gettin' some pretty wild ''noches'' in future, wish You all the best!!!

Not envy, but pure positive vibrations from Slovenija, MAN!!!

btw, geeez, your palladiums really look XtrA NICE!

Hit the stage and take people on concerts back to home - HEART!

Best regards!

Primoz
GuruPimpi

Postby windhorse » Fri Apr 15, 2005 4:32 am

The new set of tuned Shekere just came in today from Joe Platz at Platz Percussion..
We played two Bembes on them tonight -- and they sound so sweet!

windhorse

Postby ABAKUA » Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:23 am

We lost a dancer at teh last gig, he tore his ligaments after landing badly on one of his spin/jumps. :(

We are in the process of getting a new dancer up to speed with the show's choreography.

Here is a more current promo pic of an upcoming show we have...

ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby windhorse » Sat Apr 16, 2005 1:48 pm

Wow!! That looks tremendous Abakua!!
You should pack the place with posters like that!
windhorse

Postby yoni » Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:23 pm

Hi all!

I've got my daughters with me for a few days now, we're having a great time. They're sleeping now and I had a chance to write...

Happy to report things are busier than ever musically for me. Several gigs in a wide range of music and am getting much "kavod" (honor) after some 30 years of performing now. In a few days I'll be playing the "Boombamela" festival where I'm slated to be the "inviting artist" of the ethnic music stage. Many super players from Israel, other Mid Eastern countries and beyond will be joining. All kinds of ethnic groups, from African to Flamenco, other Latin, Indian, Mid East and more... highly arranged music to improvised jams. I look forward to playing there with many, including super-virtuoso violinist and oudist Amin, from Jaffa. We've jammed much recently to some stunned crowds. Yossi Jumbush, another monster player, should also be giving it all he's got on guitar and jumbush. There should be a wealth of fine percussionists of many types, and I'm expected to be blazing away with my double trouble... (the double-stroke, one of my modes of travel on darbuka and conga, has earned me here a nickname: "Abu Kaful" ("Father Multiple"). No one else seems to be doing it on darbuka yet; this may change soon as more and more players ask "How the **** do you do that?"

I love these festivals because one meets so many musicians and can apply many types of drums to many types of music, which goes literally non-stop for 4 days. Also many fine muchachas afoot. The festival is right on the beach so it's easy to take a quick dip when things get too hot.
Well I hope and wish I could see you all there. I'll let you know how it went, anyway.
All the best!
Yoni
yoni

Postby ABAKUA » Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:40 am

Update....

We played live to the whole of Australia yesterday morning on a major network, similar to your NBC TODAY morning show.
At 9am, we went live to the nation on a morning variety/news show.

We performed 2 original songs.

I will try to get them uploaded onto the internet so you can view them. :cool:
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby ABAKUA » Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:59 am

Here are a few pics from the studio before we went live on air.. Yours truly.. very sleepy...

Edited By ABAKUA on 1113977789

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... badass.JPG
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby ABAKUA » Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:00 am

ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby ABAKUA » Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:13 am

Some shots I took of my congas earlier while waiting for some of the boys to arrive for a rumba...

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... tumbas.JPG
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby ABAKUA » Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:15 am

ABAKUA
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Open Discussion