Need some help with my set

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Need some help with my set

Postby federofedero » Thu May 25, 2023 10:19 pm

Hey guys,

Ive been a long time lurker but now I jump in to post since I need a bit help with my set up.
I play in the band with the LP Set. Im not sure which series they are, but they were sold to me as "vintage congas" and are also fiberglass.
I like the sound but im not really happy with them. I replaced the original heads, because they were super old, with some thick skins that a friend of mine sold me and sometimes the sounds are hard to pull off. (They are perfect to practice since you are forced to develop good technique and strenght)
Also they are a quinto and a conga, and Im not sure if that is how I want to sound.

I also have some wooden congas at home, a Meinl Luis Conte Conga and an old Meinl Marathon Tumba.
I really like the sound of my LP conga but Idk if I should replace the Head with some fiberskin and use it with the tumba, or use the Luis Conte and change the head of that one.I mean, the best thing I could do would be to play with three and use them all and in a few years when I get better I could implement the quinto. Im still not that good. hehehe. :?

What would you guys do in my position? I just dont want to play with the quinto anymore and I also dont want to spend a lot of money. I know that if I want to use that LP conga I will need to change it head since the skin for that one is EXTRA thick. Also the I like the Sound of the Luis Conte Conga and also looks nice.
I cant make a decision. Maybe the best idea would be to play with three?

Any ideas or recomendations?
Attachments
WhatsApp Image 2023-05-26 at 00.04.48.jpeg
The set im using to play right now
WhatsApp Image 2023-05-26 at 00.04.49.jpeg
my wooden congas
federofedero

Re: Need some help with my set

Postby Thomas Altmann » Fri May 26, 2023 8:29 am

Hi federofedero,

there are several variables in your equation, which makes it hard to give any proper advice.

Besides that, the decision of how many drums you should play is a different subject on its own.

In general, it is my opinion that you should play the instrument with which you feel fine and comfortable, and that sounds best to your ears. In most cases, these two aspects go together; if not, it's up to you again which of them you value higher. Consider that what sounds good to you in your practice room might not be appropriate for your band on stage.

Personally, I would stick to the LPs and buy a larger hembra, used and from the same vintage line.

The variables - or unknown quantities - are: (1) What are the definite sizes of the drums (head diameter over the edges)? (2) How thick are the skins really? (3) What is your actual technical level?

The commercial designation "quinto" is generally a misnomer for a drum that may still have a diameter of 11 inches, which is a good average size for your center drum (macho). If your bigger drum (hembra) has what they call a "conga" size, it may have 11.75", which does the job, but many would find it slightly undersized.

As to the head gauges, the skins on the LPs look pretty thick, but not too thick. I would have to see and play them for a final judgement. Objectively, these drums with these heads may well be the ones that you should train yourself to play; they have a solid potential as far as sound production is concerned.

The reason why I never liked the LP fiberglass drums is, because they emphasize a certain metallic overtone range, a "ring" that I don't want to hear. (This ring might exactly be the reason why it cuts through amplified bands so easily.) Now, if you choose to change drum heads, a synthetic head would rather enhance the ringing quality of the drum, so if I were in your place, I would opt for a natural skin (cow/steer/mule).

I guess that's all I can say.

Regards, Thomas
Thomas Altmann

Postby federofedero » Sat May 27, 2023 2:12 pm

You are right.

After thinking about it im going to start playing with three congas. Ill change the head of the Luis Conte Conga and maybe use it as my main, and use the other two also. Ill leave the smaller drum at home to practice rudiments and whatnot.
Ill try experimenting to see how I like it more and maybe slowly find my own sound. I will alternate between the LP and the Luis Conte. I really like the sound of the wood. Fiberglass is fine, but its light material makes it easier to transport.

If you are still interested, the skin of the LP conga is 3mm and the other one is 2.5mm. Really hard and sturdy.

Thanks dude. Really helpful.
federofedero

Postby Thomas Altmann » Sat May 27, 2023 10:56 pm

You're welcome.

2.5 and 3 mm is thick. 2.5 should be O.K., 3 mm can be mean. But if you tune it down anyway, and if you don't have to play a lot of slaps on it, fine. For some mysterious reason, a thick skin can either feel soft sometimes, or it can be like wood. By the way, if you measure the thickness on the edges of the skin, where it has been cut down, it often appears thicker than it actually is in the center.

Yes, I prefer wood, too. But these old LPs have a certain vibe. Perhaps only because they remind me of the golden years of Salsa, when I was a youthful fan ...

Thomas
Thomas Altmann

Postby jorge » Mon May 29, 2023 11:24 am

Great, thoughtful advice from Thomas, I agree completely.
A thick skin can take much longer to break in, I have had a few that didn't sound or play very well until after a few years of playing, then they became better sounding with softer feeling slaps. I think it has to do with the flexibility of the skin to bending just inside the contact surface of the rim, and also the stretching of the central part of the skin to actually become thinner after being hit thousands of times. After a lot of playing, a skin that started out translucent also becomes opaque, leading me to believe that some of the microscopic fibrils get broken (a good thing in moderation), making the skin less stiff and less likely to produce the ringy overtones you may have heard when the skin was new. I don't think the companies that make plastic heads have figured out all these factors, and others, that affect the sound and feel of the skin when you play it. Some of the older folkloric drummers do understand these factors.
jorge

Return to Open Discussion