Djembe help

Use this forum to discuss about all the other percussions and/or to suggest a new specified forum to add

Djembe help

Postby VJBaros » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:22 am

What is the best wood, skin, size and manufacture for a djembe? Basically give me the Djembe 101. I'm a congero but want to go into authentic djembe. Real African stuff. So please help
VJBaros

Re: Djembe help

Postby Chupacabra » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:15 pm

These http://www.drumskulldrums.com/ guys know their stuff and cater to the higher end buyers. You want to go with an authentic hand-carved djembe made in Guinea, Mali, Senegal, or Cote d'Ivoire. There are probably some good djembes made in other parts of western Africa but these countries are better known for their carvers and the type of wood they use. Try to get a djembe that is light enough for you to be able to play for a couple of hours, while you are standing as it is being held by a strap around your back and shoulders. Most djembes are made with goat skin but some have calf which also sound great. The size is a matter of preference for the player so you will just have to try some on and see how they fit.

The subject of "djembe 101" is way too big to write about in a thread so the best thing to do is just get started! For inspiration, go onto YouTube and look up Mamady Keita or Famoudou Konate. These guys will set you on your way to seeing how djembe and west African music should be played. Of course there are many others but these guys are the most famous.

With west African percussion music it is important to balance your djembe playing by becoming proficient with the dununs (bass drums) as well. And, according to most teachers I've had you should also learn some of the dancing aspect too.

Happy drumming!
... --- ... ... --- ... ...---...
Chupacabra

Postby VJBaros » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:30 pm

Chupacabra wrote:These http://www.drumskulldrums.com/ guys know their stuff and cater to the higher end buyers. You want to go with an authentic hand-carved djembe made in Guinea, Mali, Senegal, or Cote d'Ivoire. There are probably some good djembes made in other parts of western Africa but these countries are better known for their carvers and the type of wood they use. Try to get a djembe that is light enough for you to be able to play for a couple of hours, while you are standing as it is being held by a strap around your back and shoulders. Most djembes are made with goat skin but some have calf which also sound great. The size is a matter of preference for the player so you will just have to try some on and see how they fit.

The subject of "djembe 101" is way too big to write about in a thread so the best thing to do is just get started! For inspiration, go onto YouTube and look up Mamady Keita or Famoudou Konate. These guys will set you on your way to seeing how djembe and west African music should be played. Of course there are many others but these guys are the most famous.

With west African percussion music it is important to balance your djembe playing by becoming proficient with the dununs (bass drums) as well. And, according to most teachers I've had you should also learn some of the dancing aspect too.

Happy drumming!

Thank You! What wood is best? I heard mohogany.
VJBaros

Postby Jerry Bembe » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:48 pm

Thank You! What wood is best? I heard mohogany.[/quote]

Mahogany is excellent for many reasons. It is a good tone wood, beautiful, and light weight compared with many other woods used for building drums. It is a bit more delicate to scratch or damage but it is a solid wood for construction.

The weight issue would be a considerable consideration for those who strap on the Djembe to play it. I have had a spinal fusion and I love Mahogany for these reasons and more.

There are many other excellent choices but I am not an expert regarding African woods. The solid shell drums need special care in temperate climates that have hot summers and cold winters but this can be managed.

Enjoy drumming! I have several 70+ year old buddies that still play. This is inspiring to see these older guys play with such physical style. (off topic but I felt inspired to say this)

Peace and blessings. Jerry
Jerry Bembe

Postby p.a.dogs1 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:15 pm

Here is a link to some interesting informations:

http://drumjourney.com/world/make/index.htm

And here is another link to a shop for African Percussion where many individual instruments of different qualities are described (you find a lot of informations f. e. about wood and weight.

http://www.djembe-art.de/djembe-drums.htm
p.a.dogs1

Postby Tumbao » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:19 am

I second the recommendation for Drumskull Drums. You can also try Wula in NY, as they also make and import top quality drums from Malimke countries (Mali, Guinea, etc.)

As for woods, lengue is revered. Acajou and hare are a couple others.
Tumbao

Postby mydogsowner » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:32 pm

I second the suggestions for WULA and Drumskull Drums. You can google their websites. This is a useful link about the different types of wood: http://www.africanrhythmtraders.com/html/buyguide.html

Guitar Center sells a brand called Overseas Connection. For the price, you good djembe to start with. You will find having another drum down the road to take outside and play will come in handy as well. I have a few djembes that I have for different reasons.

My first Djemebe was a Smaller Guitar Center "on sale' deal from Overseas Connection. I still love to play it. The good thing too is you can actually listen to each drum and choose what you like versus ordering on-line. I went to a few Guitar Centers near me before deciding on "my djembe".

When buying a Djemebe, the shape of it, the wood, the skin, the heading, and even the technique will all affect how it sounds.
mydogsowner

Postby Roka » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:53 pm

Lenke is very often used wood to make djembe by Malinke people.
Roka

Postby KevBo » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:25 am

Wula and Drumskull Drums both have really nice African djembes. If you are looking for a djembe that is a bit more modern but still has that hand-done feel and the traditional West African sound, you can't beat http://www.rhythmhousedrums.com/rhd-djembes-c-29_72.html
KevBo

Return to Other instruments