maracas

Use this forum to discuss about all the other percussions and/or to suggest a new specified forum to add

maracas

Postby shor » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:08 pm

Hello. I'm a newbie with maracas.
I have a pair of LP macho maracas. Is it a percussion of good quality?

Thanks.
Last edited by shor on Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:22 am, edited 3 times in total.
shor

Re: LP maraca

Postby Mr. Conga » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:06 am

Welcome, to the forum!

I have played that model of maraca, for a day...but it dosnt sound top notch authentic. Then i spent trying all the Lp DIFFERENT MARACA models they offer, they just made noise, and i had fun with what i had on hand.

The ones on the picture come a little closer to authentic latin sound maracas. I wouldnt invest too much on those maracas. LP has other great products, but maracas is not their specialty. Most percussion companies in the U.S dont make a maraca that sound top notch.
They make a maraca just to have in their line.

I recomend you get a pair of Pan Con Wueso, big salsa maracas, thats as good as ur gonna get. The ones the father use to make are the best maracas in the world. The ones the current Pan Con Queso son is making are good, but not as great and excellent as his fathers maracas. The old ones are near impossible to make.

However when you want the best and the most authentic sound you have to look at Pan Con Queso, El Piernas, maracas to get good quality..Due to this reason some sellers take advantage of that fact and raise the maraca price to high, i am talking about resellers, who travel to get them, and then bring them to the U.S they know is the best maraca one could buy in the U.S so they sale them from $75-85 sometimes $65 plus shipping because they know thatzs the best, and they want to make some profit.

I think $50 or less is good here in the U.S exporting instrument does have a cost, is not fee.
If you think $50 is too much for maracas, then you dont want the best instrument, the best sound, and you dont wanna invest in sounding professional, the perosn is being cheap, and just making noise with China made instrument, that mimic, a sound but are mediocre.

I use to think $40-50 too much for maracas, but specially when you have Lps, on your hand, and you know that is not the authentic sound of a maraca..

That is how i thinked, but then i said why buy 3 set of mass produce maracas, if i am not getting an authentic sound?
so i looked at it as an investment and it paid off.

The ones you posted are salsa maracas, they appear the right construction just like a Pan Con Queso maraca, but dosnt sound or feel the same. You can use them in bachata, salsa, if you want to make loud maraca pattern withou getting tired in plena, and bomba you can use them for that too, most authintic Puerto Rican made maracs will have your hand tired, and sored by the second song of bomba with cocounut. or gourd traditional bomba maracas.

:D I hope this helps you, and invest wisely so u wont have to repent on your investment!!! when starting on a instrument the key word on your mind should be investment. :D
Mr. Conga

Return to Other instruments