Puerto Rican percussion

Use this forum to discuss about all the other percussions and/or to suggest a new specified forum to add

Puerto Rican percussion

Postby Miguel7 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:04 am

Hey everyone,

OK, so I was messing around with a little tune I'm working on where I'd like to switch from the basic salsa tumbao/marcha to bomba, and I got to thinking, "I wonder where you could get the actual bomba drums ("barriles de bomba"), and how to play them." Does anyone know of any websites about that?

Also, hoping to get some panderetas de plena and looking for any tutorials on how 2 play them (in either Spanish or English).

Miguel7

Re: Puerto Rican percussion

Postby willie55 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:40 pm

willie55

Postby Miguel7 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:19 am

Hey, thanks! I am still learning bomba on teh congas and I'm getting it, though slowly. That is a really cool video about making the bomba drum! It was cool hearing them talk about what they were doing, watching them take that barrel apart and sand it down,e tc. I also found this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J09tYXHH0uk&NR=1

Now listening to this, I see the bomba drums in action but they almost sound like djembes or congas. So I think I'll probably stick to congas for now lol. But it was so much fun seeing these vids and listening to the cool music. Now, anything about plena / pleneras?

Thanks again :D
Miguel7

Postby Cangrejero7 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:29 am

Heres a site with some rythyms although not all of them are accurate. A teacher is always preferable as I came to find out the hard way.And with a music such as Bomba which is so rich in history its good to get the stories of struggle that accompany each rythym. The site doesn't do it justice but its a start hermano! http://www.puertoritmo.com/ritmo/bomba.htm

Also it depends where you live and how much you're willing to pay. Unfortunately even though music is free expression, instruments don't come cheap. Sometimes it's better to build your own
Cangrejero7

Return to Other instruments