PIGSKIN for drums?

Use this forum to discuss about all the other percussions and/or to suggest a new specified forum to add

PIGSKIN for drums?

Postby Kona » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:56 am

I have some Gretsch drums that have tacked on reso heads. I want to tack new heads and I was told that pigskin was used for these heads (1938, 47 and 53 toms).

Does anyone know where I can buy pigskin drum hides?
Attachments
LG TACKY TOM.JPG (5).JPG
1947 Gretsch tom with tacked on head - Pigskin?
Kona

Re: PIGSKIN for drums?

Postby Anonimo » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:40 pm

POST REMOVED BY THE AUTHOR
Anonimo

Postby Kona » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:32 pm

Hi, thanks
I did ask Jeff at Stern Tanning. He doesn't know where I can get pigskin. I do have some thicker calfhide & I may give that a try. Yes - they did spray that white lacquer on the head - at the factory. It's easy enough to do.

Cheers,
Gary

leedy2 wrote:
Kona wrote:I have some Gretsch drums that have tacked on reso heads. I want to tack new heads and I was told that pigskin was used for these heads (1938, 47 and 53 toms).

Does anyone know where I can buy pigskin drum hides?[/quote

Hey Kona
How are you doing you can get pig skin for that drum from http://www.sterntanning.com if they don't have ask him for a thick calf head it will do the job 10-15 sheets of paper thick. Remember to re spray white paint back on skin after install or it will not sound proper.
Kona

Postby Anonimo » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:28 pm

Anonimo

Postby Kona » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:35 am

Leedy
I tried all those people - they were first on my list but they couldn't help. However, I just found these people:
http://www.leatherunltd.com/leather/raw ... whide.html
I ordered some pigskin rawhide.........I'll probably test it out on this I bought a few days ago
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... K:MEWAX:IT
I bought it mostly for the tacks but it will be a nice little project for the pigskin.
Kona

Postby Kona » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:25 am

This Leatherworks company just sent me another email wanting a further $32 shipping (that's the initial $10.99 plus the $49 for the pigskin = $93). It seem excessive considering I recently got a whole drum sent to me from New York for $25! Maybe the postal rates have gone up a bunch lately. I don't mind paying it....I will if that's what it is. However, I sent them an email to double check on that shipping rate. I'm waiting for an answer.
Kona

Postby Anonimo » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:27 am

Anonimo

Postby Kona » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:20 pm

I told them to go ahead and send the hide I'll pay the extra shipping........then I got this shortly after......
They said they don't have the hide right now but will send it when they get it.
I replied by saying "refund my money - I'll buy the hide later when they have it in stock."
I'm waiting to see if I get the refund.
Ya - I don't know why the shipping is so expensive. They sent me an email to say they recalculated the shipping cost and that's what it is to Canada. It's only $10.99 anywhere in the USA but it's $53 to Canada! What are Customs Canada doing at the Boarder that's so expensive.....for one little parcel?

leedy2 wrote:
Kona wrote:This Leatherworks company just sent me another email wanting a further $32 shipping (that's the initial $10.99 plus the $49 for the pigskin = $93). It seem excessive considering I recently got a whole drum sent to me from New York for $25! Maybe the postal rates have gone up a bunch lately. I don't mind paying it....I will if that's what it is. However, I sent them an email to double check on that shipping rate. I'm waiting for an answer.

Yes I for got leather unlimited there problem there heads are not tanner ed and my have hairs and imperfections un even cuts but they are good. That shipping is quite expensive for just a head I buy from stern 10 - 20 heads shipping the most $18.00 may be they are shipping overnight . I would ask OK good luck if you need help in mount do not hesitate to email or call
Cuco
Kona

Return to Other instruments