Isla Claves

Use this forum to discuss about all the other percussions and/or to suggest a new specified forum to add

Isla Claves

Postby bongosnotbombs » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:26 am

Just got a package in the mail the other day. Some claves from Isla Percussions. I really needed some, my old ones are all tore up from hours of use. They sound really good, and are very light and comfortable to hold. They are not bright like the rosewoood claves, they kind of have a medium tenor timbre to them. Anyways, I'm busy trying to make the best matches of machos and hembras.

Mario also sent me a fantastic little guagua, woodblock. Sounds really really good. I just need to figure out how to hook it up to a stand now.
Mario told me the name of the wood, but I forgot, said it was really tough and I'll never be able to break these claves. Well I never had claves break on my, but my old ones are pretty splintered up. Still sound good though.
Attachments
DSCF2077.JPG
DSCF2080.JPG
DSCF2036.JPG
My old tore up claves
bongosnotbombs

Re: Isla Claves

Postby vasikgreif » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:09 pm

Great looking claves! I'm still waiting for mines - I wrote Mario 3 weeks ago because of the free claves thing mentioned in other thread, and he told me he's in US for few weeks and will send me something when he's back. So, it seems he"s back already, as you got the claves, right?

Just to make things clear, I sent Mario 30USD few months ago, and he promised to send me something. I never got anything, and after seeing here on the board he gives free claves out to celebrate 5 years of Isla, I decided to write him again...

Edit: I got reply from Mario, he wrote me he's not back yet...
vasikgreif

Re: Isla Claves

Postby bongosnotbombs » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:18 pm

Yes these are very, very nice claves, much better sounding and lighter than anything being sold by the big manufacturers. I'm looking forward to playing them in the rumba. I've got them all paired up. I received a guagua too that has an incredible sound, I'll post a shot later. I accompanied half of a Munequitos album last night with it.
bongosnotbombs

Return to Other instruments