Building batacajon

Use this forum to discuss about all the other percussions and/or to suggest a new specified forum to add

Building batacajon

Postby vasikgreif » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:27 am

Hi, I'm going to try to build batacajon. I'm going to make an octagon style, my main inspiration is ValterPercussion batacajons. In the attachment are the dimensions of each side I calculated from the dimensions on Valter website: http://valterpercussion.com/BatCajn.htm ... Each side will have to be cutted off by 22,5° to make a circle when put together.
Anyone has any tips on how thick plywood to use? Or anyone have the Valter batacajons to measure them?

Thanks
Attachments
batacajon.jpg
vasikgreif

Re: Building batacajon

Postby willie55 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:46 pm

i suggest you make a mockup from cardboard or display board, use ducktape to hold it together, that way you can visualize the end product. i did this when i made a conga cajon, to make sure i had the height and head size right..
willie55

Re: Building batacajon

Postby korman » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:08 am

Couple of years ago I built a rectangular bata cajon using Fat Congas itotele cajon sizes. I used black laminated 1.6mm birch plywood for sides and plain 3mm (3-ply) birch plywood for the heads. Overall I was very satisfied with the result! If I had access to thinner plywood, it would be interesting to try thinner (perhaps 2-ply) on the smaller head.
korman

Return to Other instruments