Oh no I didn't

Use this forum to discuss about all the other percussions and/or to suggest a new specified forum to add

Oh no I didn't

Postby roberthelpus » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:57 pm

I spent close to three hours yesterday in a local big box music store and bought myself this Christmas present. My left hand fingers are very sore.

This all started a few weeks ago while listening to the tons of Son that I have on my MP3 player. I was thinking that since I used to play guitar that I could get a tres or a quatro. With the magic of the interwebs it's so easy to entertain all sorts of Walter Mitty fantasies. I didn't really find anything that was satisfactory as far as entry level instruments and certainly nothing that I could try before buying. Then the light bulb went on over my head and I thought, why not a 12 string guitar. Having to relearn and build up chops again told me to not go for the 12 just yet so I went for a nice 6 string.

So this should be another fun journey, any other string players on the board?
roberthelpus

Re: Oh no I didn't

Postby Dicemanb » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:43 pm

Nice one, you have chosen your toys wisely :lol:
Enjoy the journey, pilgrim. :)
BTW I also play guitar

Dice
Dicemanb

Postby roberthelpus » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:06 am

Diceman, do you play son style?

I am thinking of grabbing this book, once I get my basics down again. http://www.amazon.com/Salsa-Afro-Cuban- ... dd_1_dp_T2

Then if all goes well I will bother this gentleman. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiCQ1T52wzs I was stage manager for this show.

A little more. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ni3EXn7gyQ0
roberthelpus

Postby Dicemanb » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:38 am

No I dont, but your enthusiasm has got me thinking.
Thanks for the heads up and links, I can feel another New years resolution coming on :lol:

Dice
Dicemanb

Postby MedinaNYC » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:27 pm

Nice buy Robert. I play the cuatro and i know what you mean about finding a decent entry level cuatro. The cheaper ones aren't really worth the box they come in, made in china, but to get a decent one you usually have to have it made. It's a little easier to come across them in Puerto Rico, which is where I got mine.
MedinaNYC

Postby Sammy_L_D » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:41 am

The Seagull S6 is an awesome guitar, good choice!

I am primarly a guitarist and bassist, and only more recently got into the percussion world. Enjoy the callus building! :D
Sammy_L_D

Postby roberthelpus » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:44 pm

Well, I have to admit that I've been sidetracked. Pick up a guitar, and I wind up going back to the Rock of my youth :D But it is easier to relearn what I once knew and will allow me to work on a Son style later with some technique on hand. So it's back to my roots for a while.

I'm very happy with my Seagull with the wide neck. Funny thing is; I went to the local GC to pick up some necessary accessories and tried some electric guitars for fun. the only thing that felt comfortable was the Teles. My S6 has a 1.8" wide neck (at the nut.) Telecasters are 1.625.
roberthelpus

Return to Other instruments