One handed Triangle

Use this forum to discuss about all the other percussions and/or to suggest a new specified forum to add

One handed Triangle

Postby Dicemanb » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:38 am

Anyone tried these out yet?
Good fun and a new challenge for the other hand

Dice
Dicemanb

Re: One handed Triangle

Postby congamyk » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:40 pm

Dice I got one and it's a tremendous percussion instrument!

It's fairly simple once you get the hang of it and it's like having a "talking" triangle as you can mute the note and change it every beat. This thing is with me on every gig.
congamyk

Postby Dicemanb » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:39 am

Hey Congamyk,

Yeah, once you get over the non-traditional look, it certainly sounds just like the real thing.
I have been trying shaker LH and triangle with regular mutes RH, but if you can carry a maraca or shaker in the triangle hand as well, it starts to get interesting (and challenging) Its a great addition to the tool kit for acoustic gigs. I carry it around in the car for those long boring journeys, so long as no-one is watching :lol:
Have fun with it
Dice
Dicemanb

Postby Jerry Bembe » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:44 am

I dig it too. It is played much like a shaker but it does not replace my other triangles. It has a bright light sound. It adds nice options for a multi percussion attack all at once. It would be nice if there would be additional sizes in the future.

Perhaps someone could customize other triangles using this idea.

I would like to know what those samba players think of this. They are the triangle masters! :twisted:

I agree this looks like fun and I do enjoy mine. I am glad that I am not the only one who plays percussion in the car (this, shaker and tamborim) while on the road. My wife thinks I'm a nut because of this. (She's right, so what)

Keep it fun.
We are surrounded by rhythm everywhere we go. Listen and be in sync with the clave. Peace

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmwxUIIP-EM
Jerry Bembe

Postby Dicemanb » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:33 am

Hey Jerry,

Did I read that right.....tamborim?
You need two hands, who steers.....your wife?

Keeping it fun

Dice
Dicemanb

Re: One handed Trianglei

Postby Jerry Bembe » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:36 am

Very funny, you are right Diceman. I recently got the Pearl Tamborim that I love. I do play it with 2 hands but at stoplights I would play the thing. Damn loud but I. Am 1/2 deaf anyhow.

As for my wife she does not just steer but she drives me crazy like any good woman would.

I like your sense of humor.

Jer
We are surrounded by rhythm everywhere we go. Listen and be in sync with the clave. Peace

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmwxUIIP-EM
Jerry Bembe

Postby Dicemanb » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:21 pm

Jerry,

Ahahaha
So long as your deaf ear is on the passenger side, you will survive mi Amigo. :lol:
Tamborims are v cool instruments in the right hands.....keep practicing Brother.

Dice
Dicemanb

Postby Jerry Bembe » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:56 am

Dice,

I can dig that. You are right, I used to be an Electrician and I have hearing loss in my right ear due to hammer drills. So when I drive my wife is on that side and when she complains it is in that hammer drill frequency so I can really shut it out.

I was in a Samba School back in the day so I learned the open/closed tone concepts for Tamborim, Triangle and Surdo. In my Afro Cuban band of 8 years, I played Bass on Surdo, floor toms and homemade drums. We had no electric instruments and pushed the envelope. We once had over 11,000 in a drum circle in Chicago. I miss those days. I also played in the subway with a trio and we would make as much as $650 in the 90's below the Sears tower. The trio made sure we would not get robbed.

What kind of gigs did you play?

Keepin it fun,

Jerry
Jerry Bembe

Postby Dicemanb » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:17 am

Hey Jerry,

I have invested in some customised ear plugs, which take some getting used to but now wish I had done it earlier. I have some hearing loss in my left ear, too many rock gigs.
Now I play mainly in salsa bands, but I also play sax in blues and covers bands which keeps the wages coming in. In London we have to be more versatile so Brazilian, Flamenco and Mediterranean perc is also in the tool bag. I busked in the London underground for a couple of years, where it is regulated and they only give you spots which are covered by CCTV, so things are a bit safer for buskers.
Your drum circle must have sounded awesome.

Keep the faith brother.

Dice
Dicemanb

Postby Jerry Bembe » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:04 am

Dice,

I will start a new thread on this question...

Which is more popular in your country congas or the cajon?

In the US, I think the conga wins but the cajon has made huge progress.

I do not gig much right now but I plan to get out again soon. I have a good day gig so I am fine. Right now I am planning on starting up a Rumba gathering to get the ball rolling. I am 45 miles outside of Chicago so I would like to first build in my area before next summer in the BIG CITY.

Thanks,

Jerry
Jerry Bembe

Postby Dicemanb » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:11 pm

Jerry,

Congas still out in front, but with Flamenco just over the water, you see more box cajons. Quite a few of them are used as mini drum kits, but check out Allegrias, Bulerias, Sevillias, Tanguillos, Rumba Flamenca etc etc....awesome rhythms. It is interesting how Afrocuban and Spanish rhythms bounce off each other.

Look forward to the new thread.

Suave
Dice
Dicemanb

Return to Other instruments