Maracas patterns

Use this forum to discuss about all the other percussions and/or to suggest a new specified forum to add

Maracas patterns

Postby Yuca » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:42 pm

Hi all,

Firstly, I'm new in town and I would like to commend you on your forum, which I'm looking forward to studying.

My query - I'm attempting to learn maracas, primarily for playing in Latin music although if I can also use them with funk based music then great.

There appears to be a lack of info on this instrument online, however I have learnt a tasty riff from Mario Grillo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9ClpFOX8dM

My next step is to study this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEdB-CAoPkQ

Any comments and/or recommendations? And can anyone recommend any other patterns? Or should I attempt to work out the patterns from my favourite recordings, like a real musician would?

Thanks all.
Yuca

Re: Maracas patterns

Postby Anonimo » Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:51 pm

POST REMOVED BY THE AUTHOR
Last edited by Anonimo on Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Anonimo

Postby Yuca » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:49 am

Thanks for the info and advice Leedy2.
Yuca

Postby OLSONGO » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:29 pm

The best maraca players are in Colombia and Venezuela , check the llanero music there are some on youtube.

Peace
Olsongo
OLSONGO

Postby Anonimo » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:21 pm

Anonimo

Postby OLSONGO » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:41 am

Leedy Joropo is also played in Colombia where I am from and they use maracas or capachos . At one time Colombia, Venezuela , Ecuador and when Panama was part of Colombia , also a bit of Peru and Brazil , all of those countries together were called "La Gran Colombia " from 1819 - 1831 and joropo was the music of the plains or llanos where the cowboys lived ... So Colombia didn't copy anything .
Also on the coast the Gaita player has a maraca in one hand and plays both at the same time in the folkloric Cumbia, in the pic you will see the instrumentation of the Folk Cumbia. The indians of the Amazons also play some type of maraca. Leedy you are real loose in letting out information with out doing your research of the true facts.
Attachments
Cumbia.jpg
OLSONGO

Postby Anonimo » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:55 am

Last edited by Anonimo on Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anonimo

Postby OLSONGO » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:56 pm

As the article that you posted says Joropo goes into the 1700's , and the area before it was divided into the countries that we know today as Colombia, Venezuela, Ecuador, Panama and parts of Peru and Brazil was called la Gran Colombia , meaning that the Joropo was there in the plains in a vast area that today is divide by a border separating Colombia and Venezuela with its people called " llaneros " so the Joropo was there way before the separation of the land, and due to political differences some llaneros went one way to Colombia and others another way to Venezuela , taking with them the Joropo. In reference to Panama your article fails to say that Panama was a state that belonged to Colombia til 1903 , after that ..the USA insited a revolution in Panama... the main interest being to construct the Panama canal, a big money maker . So anything that originated in Panama before 1903 is Colombian. How can you say that Colombia is a copycat ? as your article says that the Cumbia ORIGINATED NOT COPIED in the Caribbean coast of Colombia , thats a big area and again the folkloric variants and roots in Panama took place when Panama was a state of Colombia. Some of us know that the Spanish brought slaves from Africa to the coasts of Colombia, and they brought their original music with them and on that, they continued to create variations on various rhythms as the Mapale, Currulao, Chande, Porro, Vallenato, etc..and all played with traditional folk instruments with strong African characteristics ( as shown in the pic ) that the slaves brought with them. So where is the coping there ? The Cumbia and the Vallenato are a fusion with some European instruments just as you find this all over from Cuba to Argentina. but the rhythms mentioned are attributed by musicologist as being from Colombia and no where else.That thing about being the copy capital of the world is something you made up, never heard that before in the books or from many of the pro players I have played with in my 52 years of existence. in NY, LA, Seattle, Miami, KC. I have heard that phrase referred more to Puerto Rico copying from Cuban music. So Leddy hate to tell you... some of what you have read and consider true facts are not so and even what you posted proves you wrong.
Peace
Olsongo
OLSONGO

Postby Anonimo » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:54 pm

Last edited by Anonimo on Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anonimo

Postby OLSONGO » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:19 pm

Leddy counterfeiting goes on all over the world, China, Korea, Mexico, even in some remote places here in the good old USA it happens , but our publications like to point the finger to other places, its a big problem , its a world mafia . Many people from other countries go to Colombia to open up counterfeit businesses because there is good craftsmanship , good prices and many people who are suffering because they are hungry without work,so they need to do what ever and it is like that in most countries here in the Americas.
As you know maracas are made everywhere they are a big tourist items , you see them with the name of almost every Latin country . They make them in Colombia , duplicating many styles because they easier to make , then to import them, and i don't blame them for that. Lp stuff is too expensive to buy there and of some mediocre quality . And about Lp Mr Cohen he copied most of the designs for his instruments, from Cuba, Venezuela and from some craftsmen here in the USA, I know some personally. in conclusion Colombia makes some good instruments , some of their maracas are great , there are great maraqueros there and all for a very good price , and not to say some of the most beautiful woman y carinosas = caring are in Colombia 'pa chuparse los dedos hahaha.

Peace
Olsongo
OLSONGO

Postby juancho » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:34 pm

Cali es Cali lo demas es loma !!!!! Las Caleñas son como las flores!!!
juancho

Postby Anonimo » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:38 pm

Anonimo

Postby Yuca » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:48 pm

juancho wrote:Las Caleñas son como las flores!!!

The Latin Brothers - I love that track . . .
Yuca

Postby roberthelpus » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:56 pm

Anybody have suggestions on what maracas to buy?

Edit to add: Okay looking online at the LP Pro on the Lp website. Their little sound bites make them sound too sharp and cutting when compared to the various rawhide ones. Looking on Youtube they don't sound as sharp. That $20 price tag sure does have me interested as a pair to start on, especially since I can probably actually pick them up at one of the local music stores, and then get something else (probably in rawhide) later.

I've been using the two different sizes of the Pearl hex ganzas in a pop setting and maracas would do nicely for this as well as learning some of the traditional styles.

So whaddayathink?
roberthelpus

Postby Anonimo » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:56 pm

Attachments
l_d8952d09e61c4d838e70c1a92eb4724d.jpg
These were made in Colombia
Anonimo

Next

Return to Other instruments