Tambora brands/makers in DR?

Use this forum to discuss about all the other percussions and/or to suggest a new specified forum to add

Tambora brands/makers in DR?

Postby PRDRconguero » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:23 pm

I have a lot of time, but we are going to honeymoon in DR next spring and was curious if anyone can recommend a skilled maker of tamboras. I want to hopefully ship one home. Thanks.

And also, does anyone know about dominican tambora/drum quality vs. local custom makers?
PRDRconguero

Re: Tambora brands/makers in DR?

Postby Mr. Conga » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:19 am

There is a big difference , from a Dominican Tambora, and a custom local Tambora made in the States.

The ones made in the States are discent, but the sound would be more mainstream, get by type of sound, the hardware is metal, and that gives it a different sound when you hit the rim, the sound is very different on the rim,not authentic. However you have more tuning control.
And they mainly look beautifull, such as furniture pieces :shock: ..... :roll: ...joking man.

They could even make them of African Mahogany if you got the money.....Cherry...etc... :roll:

If you want an authentic sound go for a Dominican Tambora, with good skins, and good roping.
If you find a solid Tambora but the skin is not confortable meaning dry, or suface is not confortable, you can treat the skin in the States, and make it more confortable, if you find one that the skins are different in thickness, is good to get the two different tones.

A player that got my attention on the Tambora, is Juan Luis Guerras player, when he does his solo, he shows how versatile the drum is, in the train hands, and how beautiful the music you can make with a Tambora.
Try to find a solo video of him to get inspire, i defenetly became more interested on the instrumen, and credit Tambora players more after wtching him play.

I hope You, and your wife Get Closer as a couple. I know you will find " Quisquella La Bella'' D.R, a beautifull place to be in.

Que Dios Bendiga tu Matrimonio mas!
Mr. Conga

Re: Tambora brands/makers in DR?

Postby PRDRconguero » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:31 am

Thanks for the input Mr Conga. I am not very knowledgeable of tamboras, but have always wanted one.
PRDRconguero

Return to Other instruments