conga cajons

Use this forum to discuss about all the other percussions and/or to suggest a new specified forum to add

conga cajons

Postby Whopbamboom » Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:24 am

Had a chance to go to the NAMM show and Gon Bops had some conga cajons (and djembe cajon). I liked them.

I also have found these Valter ones on the web:

http://mx.youtube.com/watch?v=AP2VSVwrDhA

Besides Gon Bops and Valter, it seems that there are various types of cajons that are similar in shape (an upright drum). Fat, Meinl, Pearl, Zion are ones I've seen.

I'm starting to take more interest in obtaining some more (I've got a small Fat), but there is much to compare. Anyone know of other makers of this type of drum I can check out?
Whopbamboom

Re: conga cajons

Postby Whopbamboom » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:41 pm

Mountain Rhythm also makes djembe cajons, I've discovered. Wonder how they sound.

Isla also used to make some conga cajons, but no longer does. They definitely sounded good.
Whopbamboom

Postby Whopbamboom » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:59 am

everyonesdrumming.com also has djembe cajons.

But man, I wonder if/when Gon Bop is going to release the conga and djembe cajon's they had at NAMM this year. They sounded real good.
Whopbamboom

Postby Light Seeker » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:46 pm

I'm just curious... what's the attraction to a cajon that is meant to imitate the sound of a different drum? Why not just get the drum it is imitating, and get cajones that sound like cajones? Again, just curious.
Light Seeker

Postby Whopbamboom » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:03 pm

Because they DON'T sound exactly like the skinned drums that they were patterned after. For me, as a percussionist and arranger, I am interested in having more and more sounds at my disposal. Comes in real handy when working on music projects. It's like having more and more colors on an artist's pallette, only with percussion you can't just mix two colors together to get a new color. Therefore, different types of instruments are of interest to me. I thought perhaps others might have a use for the info, or even to be able to offer up some input themselves on this type drum.
Whopbamboom

Postby Bachikaze » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:31 am

Light Seeker wrote:I'm just curious... what's the attraction to a cajon that is meant to imitate the sound of a different drum? Why not just get the drum it is imitating, and get cajones that sound like cajones? Again, just curious.

Conga cajons are far lighter than stave congas with skin, and are more compact, since they have no tuning brackets. Some can even be stored inside each other. They are virtually unaffected by humidity and temperature. They produce very sharp, strong slaps.

I have bongo cajons and I love them. I'd love to have a set of conga cajons. Too expensive.
Bachikaze

Postby Whopbamboom » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:44 pm

Yeah, a nice woody sound with absolutely NO ringing! I really enjoy this TYPE of drum. Haven't been able to test all of them though. They all seem to have different sounds from each other--- just like any other type of instrument. Some of the sounds have been VERY different from each other. Of the ones I've played, some have been a lot more useful to me than others. Bottom line, every instrument produces its own sounds and will take to different hand technique in different ways... therefore, they will all have their use somewhere. I'm getting some mileage out of a Fat Congas segundo right now, but I'm hoping to add some of the bigger drums to my stable soon.
Whopbamboom

Postby lpcongaplayer » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:00 pm

I have a Meinl Bongo Cajon and love it! Kinda woody sound but that's ok. Great for flavor/fill-ins ..it's very different. :D
Billy: Mommy! I want to be a drummer when I grow up!
Mommy: Now, Billy. You know you can't do both.
lpcongaplayer

Postby Whopbamboom » Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:36 am

Just heard back from Gon Bops.... they hope to have the djembe cajon and conga cajons available (through dealers by special order) by the end of this month, if all goes well. They also mentioned that they had a 14" conga cajon in addition to the 10 and 12. Plus, I was told that they will have a bongo cajon, 3 sizes of bata cajons, and an UDU cajon too, if you can believe that. I wonder how those will sound. But the djembe and conga cajons sounded GREAT at NAMM, especially the 12" conga and the djembe. I don't have a price yet. Hope they aren't too expensive. I want some bad.

On another subject, just to add to this thread, ISLA used to make cajons as well... but stopped a while back. I have heard a couple when I visited their shop last year. Sounded great. They had a huge floor model bass, a floor and upright model medium size, and a small upright one like Fat's small one (only with slappable loose corners on two corners). None of them had strings, but were otherwise similar to box cajons or conga cajons. But Mario sold the patterns to a guy who apparently then went and passed away. So no more Isla cajons now, unfortunately.
Whopbamboom

Postby Chupacabra » Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:50 am

As intrigued as I am with the different types of cajones that are getting more and more popular, they will always sound like what they are: a wooden box. Don't get me wrong, I'll probably end up getting one eventually. Just for the fact that they can be played quieter than the traditional skinned drums which makes it easier to practise in an apartment or shared accommodation situation makes a well made cajon worth having. And they do sound nice.
The tones of a nicely tuned conga can't be replaced by a cajon, neither can the crisp, bright slap of a goat skinned djembe can never be duplicated by anything.
Just my personal opinion...
... --- ... ... --- ... ...---...
Chupacabra

Postby Whopbamboom » Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:07 am

Perhaps, but go click on the link that was posted in the very first post of this thread, for the video of the Valter ones. Turn your speakers up! Those ones don't sound exactly like a typical wooden box to me.... quite tonal, in fact.
Whopbamboom

Postby jorge » Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:21 am

One of the nice things about cajones is the inspiring history of the cajon as a musical instrument, which came about largely because they are basically free or cheaply made. You can make a good sounding cajon from scrap wood you find in the street. If you don't hang out in the streets, or are in a hurry, you can splurge and spend 10 or 15 bucks at a lumberyard or Home Depot for the wood. A pencil, paper, ruler, saw, file, hammer, some glue, some wire nails, some sandpaper, a vacuum cleaner to clean up, and a little bit of ingenuity or someone else who knows how to make one, and you can build it in an evening. Don't like how it sounds? Modify your design and build another one, or modify the one you have. Once you have the tools and some understanding of what determines the sound, you can make them for a few dollars and a couple hours' work.

Cajones don't have to sound like a wooden box, good players can make music on basically any cajon. People underestimate the time and skill needed to learn to play a cajon. Getting or making the cajon is less than 2% of the story, developing the art of making music with a cajon is the other 98%+.

It is a good thing is that cajones are not as loud as congas. They can give a better balance with singers, especially in acoustic folkloric music. At a rumba, you don't have to be always telling the "concussionists" to play softer so the singers can be heard. With real musicians playing who know about dynamics and actually listen and play for the sound there is no advantage, because they play at an appropriate volume, but that is not always the situation.

The danger is that a lot of people try to play a cajon like a skinned drum, hitting much too hard, trying to do slaps the same as on a conga or djembe. You can seriously hurt your hands overplaying a cajon, not to mention breaking the fibers of the plywood batter surface and killing the sound forever.
jorge

Postby Chupacabra » Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:32 am

They do sound awesome for sure. If and when I go shopping for a pair of cajones the Valters would be in the top 3 choices based on what I saw in this video. I just wish I could see some up close and personal so I could really hear what they sound like and see the quality workmanship and materials.

Here's a link to someone I know personally who makes cajones and other instruments and I've seen and heard the ones he makes and they also sound great and he is also a talented craftsman. For me, he's just a 45 minute drive away - I don't know where you live but it's likely not on Vancouver Island!

http://moonrisemusic.ca/

Chris has a preference for custom making his instruments for people and establishing a relationship with them but he does have a cajon for sale right now, I think.
Chupacabra

Postby Chupacabra » Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:46 am

Cajones don't have to sound like a wooden box, good players can make music on basically any cajon. People underestimate the time and skill needed to learn to play a cajon. Getting or making the cajon is less than 2% of the story, developing the art of making music with a cajon is the other 98%+.

Excellent point! Good players can pretty much make anything sound good... anything from buttocks to barstools! The only difference of opinion I have on making them is that I would go with the best materials that I could afford to buy, but that's the the woodworker in me talking 8)
Chupacabra

Postby Whopbamboom » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:58 am

May as well add the Klanginitiative "Darajon" to this thread. Link to the other thread:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4678
Whopbamboom

Next

Return to Other instruments