DJEMBE

Use this forum to discuss about all the other percussions and/or to suggest a new specified forum to add

DJEMBE

Postby CongaTick » Sat May 24, 2008 1:58 pm

Have a friend of a close friend who is a newbie djembe player with an upcoming birthday. Gift thought is for a djembe instruction book, manual, DVD (?). Any of you have recommendations?
CongaTick

Re: DJEMBE

Postby korman » Sat May 24, 2008 5:39 pm

Does he have a teacher? If not, then there's a dvd called "Remembering how to drum" which quite well explains the basic technique of the strokes and gives a couple of full rhythms (3 djembes, 3 dunduns).
If he's got the technique then try to get hold of Mamady Keita's book (contains ~60 notated rhythms) or DVDs (each has I think 7 full ensemble rhythms, and they go in progressive difficulty, so give him dvd1 and if he likes it, he can then get 2 and 3 himself).

K
korman

Postby CongaTick » Mon May 26, 2008 11:29 am

Korman,

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. I WILL take your recommendations and pass them on.
CongaTick

Postby Gallichio » Tue May 27, 2008 1:27 am

John_Yost_DVD_Front.jpg
John_Yost_DVD_Front.jpg (11.64 KiB) Viewed 3605 times
A great player and friend John Yost has a wonderful DVD. Check it out.
All the Best!
Mike Gallichio
Gallichio

Postby CongaTick » Tue May 27, 2008 12:42 pm

Gallichio, Thank you. What's incredible is the depth of this forum's knowledge base and the willingness of its members to share and disseminate. Most appreciated.
CongaTick

Postby Garvin » Tue May 27, 2008 2:23 pm

Hello,

I just returned from a week long West-African intensive drum and dance camp and learned of a great tool that would be awesome for your friend. It is called the "Rhythm reference guide" and it is an online product designed to provide a reference for 50 of the most common rhythms played on djembe. It comes directly from master drummer Fara Tolno, the lead Djembe player from Les Merveilles de Guinea, who now teaches dance and drummingin Boulder CO. The proceeds from this project go to funding a school in Guinea that will help keep master drummers in Guinea as well as foster new students within the country itself. I bought it and am totally impressed so far. Its a great tool. Check it out at http://www.rhythmreference.com I think its only like $40...
Garvin

Postby CongaTick » Wed May 28, 2008 11:09 am

Garvin,

Fantastic trip, bro. I envy guys who do perc trips. Many thanks for the link. I will definitely pass on this valuable tool.
CongaTick

Postby Roka » Thu May 29, 2008 7:28 am

Hi, there's a guy named Paul Nas in the Netherlands, who gives you all that traditional music for free.
Enjoy West African Percussion Page

http://www.paulnas.eu/wap/
Roka

Postby Djembe » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:02 pm

There's some good advice here... already

Here's a list of recommended beginner djembe resourcesthat someone recommended

Here are some free djembe lessons including free videos.
I live in a world of infinite possibilities

I love all drums.....but I especially love African Drums.
Djembe

Return to Other instruments